Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so a couple quick things:

new fiberglass on the battery tray, after cleaning up/cutting out the small rust holes. I also built up the area on the left side lip up under the hood mechanism, since it sits low and allows water to pool....once it's fully dry I'll sand it down and paint

on to inspection of some of the vac hoses. Pretty clear that someone improv'd alot of these. The plan is going to be to replace all of it with whatever I can find locally. Would be nice if there was a Samco vac hose kit for the M10, but no dice. Guess I'll have to stick to rubber unless I feel like spending a day measuring and ordering custom pieces...

really nice....the brake booster hose. Way to keep it simple, lol.
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Judging from your other projects, this one's going to be off da chain!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
      1983 Peugeot 505 STI
      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
      2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

lol, thanks. My other projects cost too damn much though! I need an affordable one this time haha.....
        Track/street e21 build
        visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

ok, so $15 worth of random hoses from the local auto parts store, a few reduction and elbow fittings, and for the price of one OEM formed hose all of the main induction hoses are now replaced and leak/crack-free....

also did some re-routing....the p/o clearly liked long hoses going anywhere. I prefer more direct as well as I can do them without any kinks.

that looks better than what was above, lol

re-oriented with a "modified" elbow/holder

anyone know what these wires here are? They come off a small loom running across the firewall, but I don't see anything that they would attach to
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

not much work on the project today. Woke up at 530 am and trucked 200 miles down to Va.Beach (from DC) in a stellar 2 1/2 hours to pick up a buddy who called in a favor (was dropping off his Z06 for some engine work down there) and headed back up this way in another fast time. In time for football kickoff, though my Skins disappointed of course. Fine, more time to rake leaves, ugh.

As to the car, spend a little while stripping a few interior panels and insulation and pulled the cabin a/c lines. Also re-installed the intake air box and went to pull the car out of the garage to clean up the mess of tools and general shit all over the place.

of course...dead battery. Left the trunk open and I guess the light drained it, doh. Jumped it with the WRX (a bit more hassle now that it has a trunk-mounted/boxed battery) and ran it for a while in the driveway while I cleaned up. With the vac hoses replaced, the idle is now more around typical levels rather than the high idle it had before...though the tach doesn't work, so I'm just guessing at that since I'm too lazy to count....

oh, and a small package came in the other day...

once I do the suspension/brake swap from the 325, I'll install some wheel studs into the hubs and use lugnuts rather than the OEM lug stud setup, which is really annoying...

Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
              not much work on the project today. Woke up at 530 am and trucked 200 miles down to Va.Beach (from DC) in a stellar 2 1/2 hours to pick up a buddy who called in a favor (was dropping off his Z06 for some engine work down there) and headed back up this way in another fast time.

once I do the suspension/brake swap from the 325, I'll install some wheel studs into the hubs and use lugnuts rather than the OEM lug stud setup, which is really annoying...
              Let me guess, the Z06 had either a broken valvespring or a bad harmonic balancer? Both happened to mine...

Have you considered trunk mounting your E30 battery as well? You should be able to find parst from an "S" or a newer model (I think that's what made them rear-mounted, not sure) to do it pretty easily. Then you could just ditch the engine bay platform.

And yes, lug bolts are the devil. Did mine with the Vorschlag kit and never looked back.
              sigpic
              "WRC is for boys. Group B was for men!" - Juha Kankkunen

CO's premier forum for all things rally - coloradorallyracing.com

Comment

Tá tú faoi faire againn

<--we needed this on the org, in the DCMAX

nice progress so far Josh

Comment

Originally posted by alicious View Post
                  Tá tú faoi faire againn

<--we needed this on the org, in the DCMAX

nice progress so far Josh
                  what's up Bobbie....truth. BTW, got your mail. Date is saved!

Originally posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
                  Let me guess, the Z06 had either a broken valvespring or a bad harmonic balancer? Both happened to mine...

Have you considered trunk mounting your E30 battery as well? You should be able to find parst from an "S" or a newer model (I think that's what made them rear-mounted, not sure) to do it pretty easily. Then you could just ditch the engine bay platform.

And yes, lug bolts are the devil. Did mine with the Vorschlag kit and never looked back.
                  nah, it's getting something done performance-wise (not sure what). It's an '04 with only 10k miles, IIRC. It went down to some well-known corvette tuner to get done.

yep, I will probably do the trunk mount (already did in my wrx). I actually have a 325 full battery wiring harness for the trunk mount that I acquired last week for free (total coincidence that a buddy brought it to use for me to help him do HIS trunk mount in an Infiniti, but we didn't end up using it so I got to keep it!)

Either way, though, I definitely wanted to repair the rust areas to avoid future leaks!
                  Track/street e21 build
                  visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
                    what's up Bobbie....truth. BTW, got your mail. Date is saved!

:woot:

I'm still planning to stop by one of these days

Comment

Floor fixed and truck bedliner

Got around to patching up the small rust holes successfully and decided to clean out everything and do the bedliner interior. I was going to get Herculiner, but happened to come across some Rustoleum bedliner at walmart, which was less than half the price. Worth a try, since it's not like I need "the best" or for it to take massive abuse like a truck bed will.

Anyhow, did the entire floor pan and the accessible transmission/driveshaft tunnel area. Driver's side came out great (just scuff-sanded the original paint). Passenger side, which I had previously done with POR-15, not as good. Apparently this bedliner doesn't like POR-15, because I started getting the "crinkling" as it pulled up the POR-15. stellar.

In any case, still turned out ok and not going to worry about it for the moment. Passenger side will probably get a re-do at some point.

The Rustoleum stuff seems tough enough for my purposes, and does have good texture like any other bedliner (I used herculiner on my old XJ). For $35, not bad. The whole interior took only about 10% of the gallon can I got too, so plenty more to use :)

not the best pic, but here it is on the driver's side

this should confuse some people driving behind me....

Last edited by irish44j; 10-20-2011, 05:57 PM.
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Sweet project! Love rally/ rallycross builds.

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Had the afternoon free today, so decided to do some minor projects. I know that these aren't terribly interesting to look at or read about, but I'm trying to keep track of even the small stuff - first so I know what I've done, and second because who knows which of these small things might be of interest to other people....especially with me doing it on the cheap and improvising alot.

This car had hit a small deer previously, so the front of the hood has a dent (looking for a replacement hood), the grilles were broken, and the lower grille support bar was bent and the paint cracked off, with rust starting.

Basically, several small projects at once today. Took the grilles and support beam off, and that made it easier to take the A/C pusher fan and the A/C radiator out. I'll eventually put the fan back in (as an auxiliary) but I need to fab up some kind of mount for it. Also need to check to see if it actually works.

Nice to get some junk out of the nose of the car, even if it's not all that heavy.

also straightened, sanded down, and repainted the support bar. very exciting I know...

Since I had previously tucked the front bumpers, now the rubber "spats" that covered the gap when the bumpers were out were pretty much covering the entire top of the bumper. Looked fine, but why not do a little project. I took the entire pieces off, marked some cut lines, and trimmed them back about 2-3" all the way down, and around the sides (using metal shears, an angle grinder to bevel the edge a bit, and a palm sander to smooth it out. Also repainted them with rubberized bumper coating leftover from doing a buddy's pickup truck a while back. Anyhow, minor thing, but looks better IMO, and was free so why not...

before trimming:
                          Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

so in randomness....

this was the first time I got muddy in a BMW (riding shotgun)...

Track/street e21 build
                            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

that fucking picture... every other time gbauer enters a thread :rofl:

Comment

hahahahahaha so much wtf in that pic

Originally posted by stewie30luvr
                                ooo cause i was fixing my chain tensioner and there was a black widow on the radiator so i killed it
                                Originally posted by JakeP
                                with a coathanger

Comment

Working...
                                X