No announcement yet.

New guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is that 1/4" going to make that much difference? I assume our PO's stock Les Schwab shocks are too long for the new height.

The ride is good, you just have to be careful at deep dips.

Comment

@latefan thanks man. Really love the mtech 1 kit. Let me know if u need any parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A little weekend maintenance. New oil pressure sender, brake rez cap and float, valve cover gaskets, ABS relays, replaced those metal clips on the rear bumper strip, cleaned the headlight ground points, and found out the turn signal switch is borked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0123.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	7188470

Name:	IMG_0122.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	7188471

Name:	IMG_0110.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	7188472

Name:	IMG_0111.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	7188473

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
          Take the e90 drop hats out and your ride will improve.
          We figured out it's the front fender lip and ET12 wheels - just touches the outside of the tread. May roll the lips.

Father's Day update -

SO, since this isn't my car I don't ever get to drive it, except for some little test runs around the block after we've fixed something.

Yesterday we drove up to Glacier National Park with 4 people and rode our bikes up the pass. I got to drive both ways, maybe 300 miles. Two-lane, flat, hills, some steeps, some curvy NP road.

So some noobie observations at getting some time driving.........

I love the H&R sport springs. Taut but not too stiff for everyday. Handles well, corners well at these speeds.

E36 steering rack is like night and day over the stock rack. Worth it.

I feel like I want to adjust the steering wheel down, a little more vertical. Feels too high and it's tipped forward. But then the seat adjuster thing that jacks up the seat height isn't working. Maybe I'm just sitting too low. We need to rebuild at least the driver's seat.

Visibility is SO good.

Still has some idle stall issues before it's warmed up and you let off the gas quickly.

Still has some kind of ABS issue - either the light comes on and the system is shut down, or it wants to do the anti-lock shake at every easy stop on dry pavement. Cleaned off all the sensors, tested the signals, replaced the relays....not sure.

Exhaust is a bit droney at highway speed in top gear....2200 to 2500 rpm. It's got a cat and then a basic muffler shop "turbo" style muffler at the way back. Single pipe.

It's slow. I said it. At 75 or faster, or climbing hills, an automatic eta is kind of gutless.....

Am I allowed to say that on an E30 site??

Seems like it needs to be over 2500 rpm to start pulling at all. Every hill I was shifting down one or two gears to stay at 70-75. We did have 4 people, 4 bikes so lots of drag, and some gear. Gets low 20s mileage. Maybe we should check compression and see if there's more wear than we thought.

Needs a manual badly, and maybe someday a 2.8 high compression, Alpina-style engine build using the eta crank and rods.

Anyway, really fun to drive, just the right size, solid handling, and great looking. The Park Ranger at the entrance booth was all excited about it and talked away while a line sat behind us - pretty funny!

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
            It's slow. I said it. At 75 or faster, or climbing hills, an automatic eta is kind of gutless.....

Am I allowed to say that on an E30 site??

Seems like it needs to be over 2500 rpm to start pulling at all. Every hill I was shifting down one or two gears to stay at 70-75. We did have 4 people, 4 bikes so lots of drag, and some gear. Gets low 20s mileage. Maybe we should check compression and see if there's more wear than we thought.
            Yes. an automatic eta is slow and load it up with 4 people and 4 bikes... good luck. theres a few things that can be done to help it though.

what read end does it have?
            mark d chip?
            and yes... manual swap
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

It's rock stock es, so should have a 2.93 (?) per strictly eta...
              http://www.strictlyeta.net/technical...ications2.html I think we checked and verified that.

Felt like I was rodding it just to keep up to speed - he was looking at me sideways. Maybe that's normal, or maybe it's got lowish compression... We rebuilt AFM, injectors, adjusted valves, tune up, new sensors, replaced all hoses and chased leaks blah blah. This has 175,000 and pretty good dealer records up to 150-ish, so it doesn't seem like it's been abused.

I've read people saying they can get high 20s mpg...but maybe not rodding it fully loaded, climbing hills.

I like reading the digger & ForcedFirebird threads, and about the old 2.7 Alpina M20 engine - it would be fun to build say a 2.8 with this block and crank, high compression pistons, 885 head and supporting systems. If it was tired anyway and you were going to pull it at some point.... I like grunt and the torks (although I love my Alfa, which is a wind-it-up-to-7000 kind of motor!).

Or are we spoiled by modern efficient engines where you shift down and you're going 100 before you know it...?

So we're scheduled for an alignment check to see if a rear trailing arm is bent, and may have a professional look over the ABS. Looking at 30 yr old wheel bearings as possible friction generators. Calipers are new.

Did I mention it blew nice cold air the whole time? Amazing!

PS - enjoy your Datsun Roadster project!

Comment

The new wheels really make it pop, keep up the great work!

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post

I like reading the digger & ForcedFirebird threads, and about the old 2.7 Alpina M20 engine - it would be fun to build say a 2.8 with this block and crank, high compression pistons, 885 head and supporting systems. If it was tired anyway and you were going to pull it at some point.... I like grunt and the torks (although I love my Alfa, which is a wind-it-up-to-7000 kind of motor!).

PS - enjoy your Datsun Roadster project!
                  Im a big fan of the M20 and had I not had a sour taste in my mouth about a particular person theres a good chance the aluminum monster wouldve been nothing more than a stroker 2.7 setup, but thats the past.

I would do a compression test and if the motor is still strong, I would start looking for a 731 head to go crazy with and use the stock bottom end. If not, maybe find a basic tired M20 with a good known 885 head and rebuild it to 2.8L. Both are going to be a night and day difference over the eta motor and plenty. I might be making some (more) changes as a result of choosing a Datsun to be my vintage racer and using the aluminum monster to move me a little closer to my "roots"

a 3.25 rear end alone will help wake up that motor and if yours is a S2.93 then you might be able to get some money for it to offset the 3.25. I like the updates.

PS have you posted pics of your Alfa in the Alfa thread? I follow it fairly closely and dont remember seeing pics of it. I run with the Alfa Romeo Club of SoCal (AROSC) and have a special place in my heart for them.
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:
                  -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                    ..a 3.25 rear end alone will help wake up that motor and if yours is a S2.93 then you might be able to get some money for it to offset the 3.25. I like the updates.

PS have you posted pics of your Alfa in the Alfa thread? I follow it fairly closely and dont remember seeing pics of it. I run with the Alfa Romeo Club of SoCal (AROSC) and have a special place in my heart for them.
                    I'll check on the rear end ratio next time it's nearby. If we someday make more power, keeping the lower number ratio gives you a more leisurely highway cruise? I always get that backwards.

Haven't posted any new Alfa shots - under a dusty cover waiting for more time for me to replace the rear axle assembly and re-furb all the systems. Looks good but it's been sitting too long and probably all gunked up. Also, original 50 year old parts under there - how did that happen? I remember buying it a drink for its 21st birthday! So, brake system all new, master cyl, hoses, maybe hard lines too. fuel lines, tank cleaned, carbs rebuilt (nervous about learning that). Later LS rear axle assembly (for the newer calipers and LS). Suspension rebuilt, Centerline springs. Rear main seal. Driveshaft support bearing and giubo. Motor and trans mounts, exhaust hangers, yada yada. Then maybe die the top black again after sitting in the sun too long. I've had all the parts in boxes for years, just waiting to get to it.

From when we first moved back here...99-ish..

Name:	AR-2.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	7192176

Current state of limbo...

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	7192178
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by LateFan; 03-15-2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Looks like we have a line on an early eta manual trans and many of the swap bits about 3 hours away. The pedals and single-mass eta flywheel got left at a pick n pull. Going to go get it all next week.

Stay tuned!

Our Man Austin! from Portland is sending us a good steering column (I stripped the threads on the old one) and a steering pump. He's been very helpful.
                      Last edited by LateFan; 03-15-2018, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Not sure how ive missed this thread
                        Nice work so far and I am really loving the look you guys are going for on this. Keep it up!
                        1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
                        1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
                        E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

I also just found this. Nice read.

we did a 3.46 & SSSquid in the eta and it made a world of difference. +1 on the 731. I've got a built one sitting here w +2 valves and a 272. Too hot to swap anything til fall :)

I did a 5 spd swap in my m10 with my son when he was 15. Now he drives a 06 335 w a zillion hp and his Great Dane sticking its head out the sunroof lol

Keep up the good work

...and luv the duetto :)
                          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                          Alice the Time Capsule
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Looks like all the stragglers are here.

Nice build & Father/Son project, can't believe I missed this, I like the Alpha too!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                              I did a 5 spd swap in my m10 with my son when he was 15. Now he drives a 06 335 w a zillion hp and his Great Dane sticking its head out the sunroof lol
                              Funny!

Thanks guys. Fingers crossed that we can gather all the right parts and figure out this swap thing! (The Alfa will never get finished at this rate...)

Comment

[ATTACH]116129[/ATTACH]

Link to transmission section with many questions, in case there are more eyes and ideas over here...

Last edited by LateFan; 08-01-2017, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X