No announcement yet.

318is autocross : questions within

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So quick reading says the internals swap from an e36 but not worth the trouble. Also from what I've seen so far it's a 20lb difference between small and medium case. I haven't been able to confirm that number yet though.

Comment

That number is accurate. The diff is about 17lbs lighter and the smaller 4 cyl axles are about 3lbs total lighter. I've been running the small case diff in my E36 for that very reason - weight reduction. The LSD in my diff is something obscure from an old BMW though. The construction is different from the E30 and E36 LSDs. It is quite robust, and has been living behind a 270whp/240ftlbs 3.0 6cyl motor for the last couple years.

Comment

That may be an e21 version. I happen to have one sitting in my garage right now, but it doesn't have the chopper wheel and I was hoping to just buy a unit that's ready to bolt in. What ratio? I think there is 3.91 and 3.46 or something like that.

Comment

The late e21 168mm diff is stouter than any other- 6 flange bolts & a bigger
          pinion bearing. Yet all 168 gears work in it...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

The 168 I showed in those photos DOES NOT work with all ratios. The ratio on that one is 3.23:1 and I could not go to a shorter ratio (3.38 or higher) because the ring gear flange is a different offset than the 3.38 and 3.45 gears I have here. And I modified a 188mm E36 diff speedometer wheel to the right outside diameter to fit in the diff housing/speed sensor and then welded it onto the LSD housing. I tried pressing it on, but it kept popping off. I just did 5-6 little spots welds with my MIG to hold it on. 15,000 miles later, all is good.

Comment

Finally made it to my first autocross event today. I'll admit it was a bit intimidating at first, but after getting my first run it all started to click. I managed to shave over 4 1/2 seconds by my 5th run and a DNF on my final run. Since I was the only car running in HS I got first place. Not really a win, but whatevs. It really is getting me motivated though to get the 318is ready before next season if possible. We'll see. Next time I'll remember to bring sunblock.

Comment

Nothing like your first autocross - I bet you had a blast!

Purely for driving technique practice, I think rental karting trumps autocross, at least if you have a good facility near you. Autocross is still a huge blast though, and nothing quite beats the thrill of driving your street car with reckless abandon. Plus part of the fun of autocross is that it's part driving, part car show, part social meet, part spectator sport.
                1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

It was awesome. I met some cool people that were really helpful and super friendly. It would have been nice to have others in my class for competition but just trying to better my time each run was cool enough. I'm contemplating pushing the deadline on the 318is so I can run it in a month or two.

Comment

Working...
                  X