Subframe + RTAB OEM rubber installation with vise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subframe + RTAB OEM rubber installation with vise

Will Be installing OEM bushes this week. Is it ok to utilize librication on the rubber subframe and trailing arms bushings? Also, I haven't seen it mentioned too much, and will recheck the Bentley, but figured I'd ask: do I have to preload either the subframe or trailing arm bushings?

I have a standard bench vise which people (sketchily) have reported makes installation a breeze. I say sketchily b/c not many people have shown pictures of this actually working, only talk about future uses.

You can press the subframe bushings in with a bench vise, but it should be a sturdy one. If your vise weighs less than 20 lbs, it might be dodgy. For the trailing arm bushings I use a long threaded rod and some sockets to remove and install them.
    You'll need to lubricate the bushings before installation. People may say this is crazy, but WD-40 works well. It is a good lubricant and then dries to a sticky film that will prevent the bushing from moving. Try it for installing bicycle or motorcycle grips if you don't believe me.
    The trailing arm bushing bolts should be tightened with the arm in its normal loaded position. The bushing deflects to allow movement of the suspension, so that deflection is minimized by setting it in its nominal operating position before you lock the inner sleeve in place. I'd be surprised if the Bentley manual does not mention this. Hope this advice isn't too late for you.

Comment

it's always best to use a water based lube on anything rubber. i've had the same $8 bottle of cable pulling lube i got from home depot for years. perfect for CABs as well
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by redlightpete View Post
        I'd be surprised if the Bentley manual does not mention this. Hope this advice isn't too late for you.
        Believe it or not, the Bentley mentions nothing about tightening under load. Advice is not too late, putzing around waiting on parts still.

Just pushed in the TA bushings with the vice. Used a dab of dawn to help ease it in. Also used a socket on one side to allow the inner end to slightly poop out. After getting them in I decided i will be sending the subframe to my local mechanic to push in. I don't want to deal with that lol. But perhaps I do. We will see

Here some pics for your time:

Last edited by BaltimoreBimmer; 05-14-2017, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X