m62 obd1 crank trigger sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m62 obd1 crank trigger sensor

I'm looking into going with m62 obd1 and was wondering if anyone has used the stock location(bellhousing using flywheel) for the crank trigger sensor?
    Are there any cons going this route,if at all possible? or is it just easier to weld the bracket on the front cover?
    I plan on using the zf 320 if that makes a difference
    Last edited by Jahman093; 06-05-2017, 06:26 PM.

Does the ZF320 have the crank sensor in the in the bellhousing?

I'm firing my OBDI M62 off of the 420G crank sensor in the bellhousing- it wasn't that hard. I talk about it in post #128: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=376089&page=9

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

The ZF-320 from an E34 V8 car did NOT have the bellhousing mounted sensor.

Does the M60 front cover not fit the M62?

Comment

The ZF-320 from an E34 V8 car did NOT have the bellhousing mounted sensor.

Does the M60 front cover not fit the M62?
        I haven't bought anything just yet. Just trying to trying to do as much research on this swap as possible.
        From Garagitsic write up " Use the m60 front chain case. Although this works, Bmw changed the gaskets on both upper mount on the m62 to be a thick ribber piece instead of a gasket. So getting the bottom to sit and seal right will require effort, but is possible."

I think I would rather just have the bracket welded on, than trying to make sure the cover will seal as it should.

Jpod999- the main thing stopping me from 6 speed is the price plus the added fabrication.

A little off topic, but is there anyone running a/c in their swap?
        FL is too damn hot to not have a/c

Comment

My advice is just to find an E34 540i or 530i parts car and drop an M60 in.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
          Transaction feedback
          - jpod999

Comment

well I just bought an m62 complete, so I'll be able to see what needs to be done to make it work

Comment

Originally posted by Jahman093 View Post
              well I just bought an m62 complete, so I'll be able to see what needs to be done to make it work
              Gotcha, you are past the point of being able to take my advice. No worries, the OBDI conversion isn't too bad.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
              Transaction feedback
              - jpod999

Comment

For the conversion it's all obd1 sensors including maf? And obd1 harness/404 dme

Comment

There are a few threads on bimmerforums that have guides, I'm on my work laptop now and don't have my bookmarks handy. Do some searching over there and you should find something.

In a nutshell- yes, you need the OBDI harness and 404 DME from either an E34 530i or 540i. It's preferable to get one from a manual car as it does not have the automatic tranny related stuff, but not required as you can weed all of that stuff out. Then the cam sensor will need to be modified as well as the cranks sensor as you already know.

Off the top of my head I can't remember what else, but you should do a bunch of reading anyways so that you can wrap your head around what needs to happen fully before you dive into it.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                  Transaction feedback
                  - jpod999

Comment

Just modify the cam trigger wheel to read the cam sensor
                    M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Working...
                    X