325iX vs 325is for restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
    To do this right, which is really the only way it should be done, you would be entering into a new realm of E30 ownership/modification.
    What do you mean, to do it "right"?

My concern is people will say it's "poser" but on the flipside -- seems crazy to "ruin" a perfectly good $50K e30 M3.

Comment

Originally posted by wintershade View Post
      What do you mean, to do it "right"?

My concern is people will say it's "poser" but on the flipside -- seems crazy to "ruin" a perfectly good $50K e30 M3.
      I agree that a 50k M3 is a bad thing to really tamper with.

By 'right' I mean whoever installs the fenders knows what they are doing. This conversion has been done numerous times before. Try and find a build to mimic. Unless you have loads of free time, or extensive skills, getting a professional to do it right costs big money.
      My previous build (currently E30-less)
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Given how susceptible the e30 is to rust, I think the main benefits of AWD really are moot for me. The point would be driving it in snow in New England winters. I like the fender flares and the "uniqueness" but I could always modify the RWD to taste.

A question for the group:
        What are people's thoughts on taking a 325i/iS, finding a totaled e30 M3 and using the body panels to make it look like an M3 body. And then doing an S52 or S54 swap. And then debadging the car. I really like M3s box flares, but can't justify the price. Just a thought as I contemplate the direction I'd want to go here....
        Last wrecked e30 m3 shell (no drivetrain/interior/nothing) I've heard of went for $6k and was missing the fenders. You can buy the front and rear fenders new, but the roof/rear window piece is NLA.

Why not build a nice 24v Mtech2 car?

MR 325's car above.
        Build Threads:
        Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

[QUOTE=Julien;4796719
          Why not build a nice 24v Mtech2 car? MR 325's car above.[/QUOTE]

You're right. This is exactly what I should do. Damn, what a beautiful car. I just saved that picture as a model for me to focus on what I want to do.

I thought about it for 30 minutes after writing my post, and I just think doing the M3 body is too "poser" -- I think I'd always feel like a bit of a tool in it. But that's just me. And given that a lot of the work would have to be done by someone else, by the time it's all said and done I probably could have just bought myself an M3 in the first place.

Comment

More beautifuler.
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
              You really shouldn't paint that fantastic POS.

Comment

I have toyed with the idea of selling my car, It would be in your price range and could easily be returned to stock if you're looking for something a little more original! Good paint, freshly finished interior, 2.7 stroker with a cam, etc. Check out my build thread if you're interested.

Agreed with most of the crowd, while the IX is a great platform, I would side with an IS. It's simply more accurate to the BMW platform.

Check out my Alpine's DEAD build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=348571

E36 M3 Build thread http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=597637

Comment

More beautifuler.

My old IX i owned for 48 hours, black fender ftw!

Build Threads:
                  Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

I long-ago made a deal with my wife that I'd sell my e36 M3 track car when it was time for us to start a family. The combination of maintain the car and 1 weekend a month at the track is just too much money and time (especially time). Well, that time is fast approaching and I'll be selling it over the next 6-12 months. So the question is what next....
                    When I hear "you must do X when we have kids", warning bells go off in my head.

Therefore, I would re-analyze the assumptions.

Although much of the work you've described sounds like it can be farmed out (upholstery, paint, engine swap), E30s require a lot of care and feeding, especially if you piecemeal the maintenance or buy a car that hasn't been maintained.

Also, even if this isn't your primary car, doing an engine swap also takes time to line up logistics, parts, equipment, and labor, regardless if you DIY or not.

Currently, either you and/or your wife feels that your hobby of tracking and maintaining your car is taking valuable time away from your relationship. If you have children, this feeling will be magnified geometrically. However stupid the hobby may seem to her, it is important to you, and what I would not like to see happen is for you to have a cool E30 then once the kid(s) come, for you to get shut down on getting suspension mods or an S54 or whatever.

Sure, this is conjecture on my part, but I've seen this archetype played out enough with my friends, where festering resentment ended up leaving little more than bitterness and acrimony in its wake. I just want what's best for you, which is a sick ass E30.

Originally posted by whysimon
                    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Given how susceptible the e30 is to rust, I think the main benefits of AWD really are moot for me. The point would be driving it in snow in New England winters. I like the fender flares and the "uniqueness" but I could always modify the RWD to taste.

A question for the group:
                      What are people's thoughts on taking a 325i/iS, finding a totaled e30 M3 and using the body panels to make it look like an M3 body. And then doing an S52 or S54 swap. And then debadging the car. I really like M3s box flares, but can't justify the price. Just a thought as I contemplate the direction I'd want to go here....
                      um....lol. how much money do you have? in order to come anywhere close to doing this correctly, you will need about 20k worth of parts at today's prices. there are hundreds of parts on an m3 that make it different other than the engine and trans. there is a lot more involved than just bumpers, fenders, and side skirts.

have you looked for a front or rear bumper for an m3? the rear is nla, the front is about 3 grand with ancillaries. side skirts are nla. i could probably charge a grand for the set i have and someone needing them bad enough will by them probably within a week......

i do like the way you think though......
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Yes that is what I said. The transfercase is a limited slip differential. You'll get 3 tires rotating the same at all times. You can launch like crazy. I launch at 5000rpm on dirt and grass at rallyx and instantly take off. Rwd will just sit there over 2500rpm.
                        dude. I've done so many 6000+ rpm clutch dumps on hoosier slicks it's not funny. Never did actually break a TC, chain, etc. doing that. That's what's so funny - the Subaru guys couldn't do it at all (drivetrains made of glass), and Audi's are so pig-heavy they just don't move anyway (I don't think in 10 years of autox, I never saw a seriously competitive Audi, or at least one that showed up consistently).

Keep thinking ix's suck. I don't want people to buy them - makes the parts that much harder to find. ;)
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Well the 2.5rs' are still currently kicking my ass, but I've only just recently successfully managed to finish an event in this car. And things still broke, I managed to kill a new sachs shock for one. I hope the Bilstein HDs are going to be more durable. But I know this car can be fast. Regardless of being competitive, rallyx is a lot of fun. You should give it a shot, get a beater ix.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                          X