Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another low profile S5x/M5x oil pan project! PICS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the props, guys. I just got home from being at sea for a little bit, looking at finally putting it on in the next week or two!

Comment

Lmk if your pan weeps oil. Its seems that mine which is bizzarre because the guy that did is way to god damn good at welding.

Comment

mod pan

With that much welding going on with any pan these need to be bolted down to a flat plate (gig) and go into production. Ya I need one too.

Comment

Those look like Ramney's welds, haha. Semi local here, interested in the design.

s50 86 325e Project

S50 - BBS - Recaro - BC Coilovers - Morimoto H1 Retrofit

Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeTheSneak View Post
            Lmk if your pan weeps oil. Its seems that mine which is bizzarre because the guy that did is way to god damn good at welding.
            Well, I got around to installing it. Initial impressions are very good...as easy as the stock pan to install, no added pain there. The pan was a little warped but definitely not too much...no leaks. I installed with 'The Right Stuff' gasket maker; I have always used that stuff on pans since my Nissan days.

The on car fitment is great. My goal of making some other part of the car the lowest point was successful; the low point is now my steering rack. There is plenty of space on all sides of the pan. The three bolts on the passenger side forward edge are harder to get it, but there is plenty of room for a wrench still.

I had to switch back to the bolt-in windage tray and actually had some complications with that; my crank bolts were striking it on first start and sounded like some terrible bearing noise. I had to un-install my pan yet again and thankfully saw that the noise was only some light contact between my rod bolt heads and the new (used) windage tray....probably a little bent from the yard I got it from.

I will continue to update as time goes on. I am going to install an oil pressure gauge to see how it performs over all with some real data. Also, it holds the same volume as the stock pan; stock dipstick still works well but I obviously had to shorten the stick tube, the actual stick still works just fine ~1.5 inches.

Pics:

The last 'before' shot...this is how low the e34 pan sump hangs....keep in mind I have a deep front bumper with Mtech2.

Installed!

Here is a more zoomed-out shot:

New clearance...I know it's a little blurry, but you can make out the very leading edge of the new pan and see that the rack extends a little lower than the pan. I am probably squatting just a little lower than the first shot too because it is hard to see the new pan from the front!

More:

Thanks for the interest guys...I'd be happy to answer anyone's questions.

Comment

Clean aluminum welds are awesome! Great job man

Comment

Great work! Imma have to do this when I 24valve swap! :up:

Looks a bit like a c5 corvette "bat wing" oil pan with the wide side things.
                -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                Originally posted by roguetoaster
                Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Interested in seeing this. Going to spring fest this year?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

I did not see any mention of a baffle or windage tray. Would be a go idea to incorporate one into your design. Very nice results so far.
                    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by gkurey View Post
                      I had to switch back to the bolt-in windage tray...
                      M-technik-3, I did utilize the windage tray, it's design is good and would keep most of the oil from sloshing rearwards....I also have a modified baffle in the sump, also of the factory type....also the very nature of the sides of the pan also act as a baffle, trapping oil to some degree!

yahh - Where is spring fest???

Thanks guys!

Comment

the pan turned out awesome!

with the added room for oil toward the driver's side do you have any plans to run some type of oil pan baffle? i guess it wouldn't really matter if the car isn't going to see any road course or auto-x time.

Comment

great work

Comment

I didn't see that picture , so I just assumed it wasn't there. I see it there, must have been the non loading photos that I had.
                            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by gkurey View Post
                              M-technik-3, I did utilize the windage tray, it's design is good and would keep most of the oil from sloshing rearwards....I also have a modified baffle in the sump, also of the factory type....also the very nature of the sides of the pan also act as a baffle, trapping oil to some degree!

yahh - Where is spring fest???

Thanks guys!
                              VBCC

I'll be there in the e30 as long as it's finished on time. Along with me will be 3 or 4 e36 m3s and possibly an e46 m3.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

s50 86 325e Project

Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by MyE30 View Post
                                the pan turned out awesome!

with the added room for oil toward the driver's side do you have any plans to run some type of oil pan baffle? i guess it wouldn't really matter if the car isn't going to see any road course or auto-x time.

Here is a shot of the modded OEM baffle, and like I mentioned earlier, I am running a windage tray. I could probably put more effort into a more intricate baffle design but I think this will be adequate for now!

M-technik-3, S'all good! Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Working...
                                X