When 24v oil pump nuts come loose....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When 24v oil pump nuts come loose....

Do they just let go and the chain wheel comes off, or is there ever a chance that one loosens a little and freewheels on the shaft?
    I can't remember if its splined, but I'd hope so.
    I ask because my s50 in the e30 likes to trip the oil pressure light at idle, and the last two days its been coming on at higher and higher rpms which is scaring me.
    It's due for an oil change and the oil feels pretty thin on the stick, so I'm hoping that'll cure it...

They are splined howeveri havd seen the splines get stripped.

Comment

Hmmm. I have a vdo oil pressure sender which has one pole for the factory light, and the other for the vdo gauge (which isn't hooked up at the moment) I've had a sender go bad in the last, where it tripped the light at idle. New one kept the light off for a couple years.
      I wonder if they fail that frequently
      Last edited by bimmer630; 07-22-2015, 09:00 PM.

Comment

I dunno the motor im referring to was built by some uber shady hack artist. Everything else was done wrong so who knows its possible they were on the shaft with vice grips for some assanine reason haha.

Comment

Put fresh syn 5w30 and a mahle filter in tonight, and the light stays off. who knows, sometimes an oring in the filter can cause a pressure light

Comment

5w30 is a bit to thin. Im gonna tell you like a i told a local guy last night.....with the exception of the pickup being clogged for some reason, that oil pump has two modes

Comment

Shit. 2 modes. Stupid phone. Its either working or not working. When the nut or spline fails itll be an all or nothing event. The only other things that can cause flicker of the light: oil to thin car to hot....bearings fucked.....pickup clogged.....sender bad.
              Last edited by mpowerful; 07-22-2015, 09:32 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Yeah I changed the oil... Still flickers at low rpm. But I haven't hooked up the gauge yet either.
                When I put this motor together I had a short timeframe of shop use and had to get the motor in that night... And didn't have a oil pickup tube gasket, so I made one. Wondering if it is going bad. I have the correct seal, been sitting in my toolbox for two years, haha

Comment

5w30 is thin yeah... In my old m20 I ran 10w60 (m-car oil I would collect after working at the dealer)

Comment

How many miles on the motor? Just had an E36 M3 with the same problem. The oil was too thin.

15w50 should do the trick for the hotter climates.
                    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

It was the vdo dual pole oil pressure sender. Put a new one on yesterday, and let it run till it got hot. pressure light is off

Comment

Working...
                      X