M52TUB28 or S52B32US Happening ASAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M52TUB28 or S52B32US Happening ASAP

I've been creeping for a while as I usually don't need to post questions on any forums as I usually find the answered relatively quickly. There doesn't seem to be anythig specially targeting the stated topic or more so, my situation. I will post $ figures as I want the best bang for the buck while wanting a boss swap.

Recently purchased a running M52TUB28+5SPD ZF which I pulled from a 99 Z3 for $600. I hopped on this because I saw it as a great deal and never thought an S5x would pop up on the local market.

Well one did and its S52 from a running E30 already OBD1 with mods (see below) for $2200.

My question is in 3 parts;
    a) Would it be worth it to make an M52TUB28 OBD1 vs getting the S52.
    b) How expensive is it to keep the M52TUB28 OBD2 vs getting the S52.
    c) Should I say fuck it and ball out on the S52.

My Car 1991 318is
    -Z3 3:15 LSD

M52TUB28
    - ALL STOCK

S52 mods list
    - Turner Motorsport tune
    - Mishimoto intake elbow
    - 540i maf
    - K&n filter
    - Obd1 intake manifold
    - E34 oil pan
    - Top speed headers
    - 3 inch straight pipe with magnaflow resonator and vibrant muffler
    - E30 80 degree thermostat
    - Walbro high performance water pump
    - mishimoto coolant hoses
    Last edited by Yezus_Krys; 04-18-2016, 03:19 AM.

Just the necessary e34 oil pan items will run you $225ish so you would be at $825 with your m52. Then you'll need either obd1 harness and conversion for your m52 or a swap tune (to stay OBD2) from someone like TRM or Marketer which can run as little as $200 for just EWS delete, SAP Delete, TCS Delete, etc or a real performance tune which is like $500. Headers are easily $100 even from EBay. M50 Manifold is probably like $40. Custom exhaust will run around $500-600. 540 MAF if OBD1 can be 100-200, or a porche MAF for obd2 will be a little more.

You will very quickly approach that $2200, especially if you stay OBD2. If the s52 was already in an e30 you'll have the pieces you need and you know it is already setup. Otherwise you are literally starting from scratch and you'll quickly find yourself at that $2200 mark with a lot to figure out.

I had a guy offering a full swap for $3k and I was begging him to get back to me because at this point I'm much closer to $4.5k piecing my obd2 24v swap together. You can definitely do it on the cheap, but depending on your situation spending the money upfront might be worth it to save yourself the headaches.

I'm no expert, but going through and piecing together a swap (like I'm doing now) is really a pain.

Comment

Ball out.

Comment

M52TUB28 or S52 Happening ASAP

Thanks for the insight! Ok so the S52 should be getting delivered in about 3 days but the seller seems to be dragging his feet. My wandering eye is now on an S54 for $2800 if my plan falls through. In the mean time my M52 might be for sale.
        Last edited by Yezus_Krys; 04-14-2016, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yezus_Krys View Post
          I've been creeping for a while as I usually don't need to post questions on any forums as I usually find the answered relatively quickly. There doesn't seem to be anythig specially targeting the stated topic or more so, my situation. I will post $ figures as I want the best bang for the buck while wanting a boss swap.

Recently purchased a running M52TUB28+5SPD ZF which I pulled from a 99 Z3 for $600. I hopped on this because I saw it as a great deal and never thought an S5x would pop up on the local market.

Well one did and its S52 from a running E30 already OBD1 with mods (see below) for $2200.

My question is in 3 parts;
          a) Would it be worth it to make an M52TUB28 OBD1 vs getting the S52.
          b) How expensive is it to keep the M52TUB28 OBD2 vs getting the S52.
          c) Should I say fuck it and ball out on the S52.

My Car 1991 318is
          -Z3 3:15 LSD

M52TUB28
          - ALL STOCK

S52 mods list
          - Turner Motorsport tune
          - Mishimoto intake elbow
          - 540i maf
          - K&n filter
          - Obd1 intake manifold
          - E34 oil pan
          - Top speed headers
          - 3 inch straight pipe with magnaflow resonator and vibrant muffler
          - E30 80 degree thermostat
          - Walbro high performance water pump
          - mishimoto coolant hoses
          A) You're better off keeping the M52 OBDII if you run that engine. You need a tune to delete the EWS, secondary O2, and Evap. That will run about $250 to $500, depending on what tune you get, and from who. The engine will run better running OBDII, and if you already have the OBDII harness and ECU, that's the way to go, IMO. You'll have to mess with the temp sensor wiring a bit, but you have to do that anyways. Most people swap to an OBDI manifold for the gains up top. You can do that with OBDI parts and some creativity, or you can do it with a swap kit. They're readily available for E36's for about $250.

B) To run it OBDII (assuming you have the harness and ECU). E34 oil pan, accessories, and gasket kit ($250). Exhaust ($500). Intake ($100). Tune ($300). I'd consider these minimums. So $1150 + $600 for the engine = $1750. Again, minimum. If you swap in an M50 intake manifold, add $250-300 to that. So you're up around $2000 pretty realistically. The S52 already has the E34 pan, already has the exhaust with it, already has the intake with it, and presumably already has the tuned ECU with it. Those are all costs you'd have to take on with your M52.

IMO, this is a no brianer. If you can get that S52 for $2200, i'd do it in a heartbeat. It's a much better engine than the M52. But you need to confirm it's pretty much ready to drop in. If you need a tune, or the exhaust doesn't come with it, that will drive cost up very quick.

C) I'd get the S52, regardless, based on what you're telling us. Whether or not you want to do even more to it is up to you. But you'll be blowing money on a cooling system setup, and a drive shaft, and refresh parts for either engine, plus clutch, flywheel etc. So see what your budget looks like after you've secured all the necessary parts. To me, option C would be taking all the OBDII stuff from your M52 and running the S52 OBDII. You could sell the M52 and OBDI stuff in pieces to recoupe some money. But, honestly, since it's already all set...i'd just leave the S52 as it is and run that.
          -Nick
          sigpic
          1986 325es || 1998 M3 sedan || 2003 330ci

~Looking for a left side early tail light, or a set of early tails~

Comment

Also, what did the S52 come out of? Does it have a re-pinned X20 on it, or was it running with a swap harness? If it's coming out of a car with the same C101 pinout, that's a big headache you avoid. If you have to re-pin or buy your own swap harness, that's added cost and time.
            -Nick
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by fiveightandten View Post
              Also, what did the S52 come out of? Does it have a re-pinned X20 on it, or was it running with a swap harness? If it's coming out of a car with the same C101 pinout, that's a big headache you avoid. If you have to re-pin or buy your own swap harness, that's added cost and time.
              It was in a fully running E30 so it was literally plug n play. HOWEVER the dude flaked on me and said he's doesn't wanna sell anymore and that he has a friend who want to buy but doesn't have money. Just a lot of bull shit. Found out he owes money to a lot of people and according to his mechanic the motor was running extremely lean.

At this point I will be sourcing parts for my M52 but if I can I'll buy an S50 I recently found.

Comment

The TU motors can't use the M50 manifold without an adapter, but you can run a M54 manifold.
                E92 Msport

Comment

Originally posted by TheAxiom View Post
                  The TU motors can't use the M50 manifold without an adapter, but you can run a M54 manifold.
                  So in that case would the TU have to run OBD2 due to the double Vanos?

I bought an S52 today but it from an auto and doesn't have DME or harness. I have an OBD1 Harness from a 325i if I do decide to go that route. Now considering everything needed to go OBD1 I'm wondering would it be easier to keep it OBD2? What DME would I run? Could I code out the O2 sensor? Are there any other considerations apart from EWS. I understand I code have that be coded out too?
                  Last edited by Yezus_Krys; 04-17-2016, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Arghhhh

As luck would have it this S52 I went to pickup failed compression test in cylinder 2,3,5. So the M52is looking like the winner. I'd be running it OBD2. Really disappointed because I drove 3hrs for the S.

Comment

Tired of shady sellers so I got this donor today. 1999 M3 Auto.

Sent from an Abacus

Comment

Originally posted by Ali//325i View Post
                        Just the necessary e34 oil pan items will run you $225ish so you would be at $825 with your m52.
                        Where are you guys sourcing your oil pans at these prices?? Is this really the going price?

Comment

Originally posted by Yezus_Krys View Post
                          Tired of shady sellers so I got this donor today. 1999 M3 Auto.

I'm not a fan of dissecting running M cars without body damage. But if you got that for a good price, that's your best option. The 3.38 diff is worth a few hundred, and the top, body kit, etc. will make some of that money back too. Good luck with the work!
                          Originally posted by BaltimoreBimmer View Post
                          Where are you guys sourcing your oil pans at these prices?? Is this really the going price?
                          I see them selling for $150 to $170 all the time (pan with sensor, pickup tube, dipstick with tube).
                          -Nick
                          sigpic

Comment

It's hard to tell but the car was in rough shape. It'd cost a fortune to fix to my liking. I got it for less than I was getting an equally good S52 for. When I can get them I'll sell oil pans for $130.

Sent from an Abacus

Comment

Well this happened last night

And now they are side by side. Decisions [emoji848][emoji85][emoji5]

Sent from an Abacus

Comment

Working...
                              X