My 325iC Body/Paint Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bimmerboy12 View Post
    Thanks for the advice on the sandpaper, I will take any input I can get. Like I said, the cabby trunk lid is gone and I already have a coupe lid in primer.
    I am assuming when you say "block it out" you mean use a soft sponge block. Would you do the 400 wet?
    What kind of paint are you using?

Single stage/multi-stage?

Originally posted by bmwpower View Post
    Not sure what paint on those trim clips is gonna do. Might make it hard for the trim to reclip in.

I would love to do this someday. Have you used that compressor setup on the previous cars? I'd be worried about trapping water and to do that you need a long run before the filter. Will that Craftsman put out the CFM you need?
    Having tried this before on another car, my Homedepot compressor was able to handle it...it was running the whole time, but I have an inline filter that I used, humidity is what killed that paint job...

Originally posted by bimmerboy12 View Post
    I painted two other cars, first was a 74 fiat spyder and it was when I was like 17 and it was kinda OK. I used a 5 hp 20 gal and no filters. The second was my 85 318i and used the same compressor no filters, had fisheyes on the hood and drained the tank of water resprayed and it was ok. Now I have 6.5 hp 30 gal with 20 ft before the filter and 50 ft after. The filter is a $40 bronze cyclone type filter. I have to empty it of a couple cups of water everyday. I think I'll be ok. I don't have a downdraft paint booth with top notch shit, so it won't be a show paint job. It will be good enough for a $6K car though. Using a Binks model 62 bottom load.
    Pictures of the spyder?...I saw your 318 and that looked decent.
    BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Im using multi-stage, 4 layers of color and 3-4 of clear. Both my previous jobs were single stage. I'll get it from NAPA, theres a full paint shop in the one in town.
      Heres the spyder. Paint was pretty good for wingin it at 17.
      Attached Files

1988 325iC Project - FINISHED!
      Build Thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ht=325iC+paint

Comment

Koo stuff...I've bought some Napa paint before and it seemed decent, in fact I think I have everything I would need minus a base black.
        BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Update, August 3rd: finished out 80 grit with DA, 150 grit with DA, and 220 by hand. Next is primer, 320 with foam block, primer, 600 with foam block.

I guess you could say Miller Lite has sponsored the project.... gotta have a little fun right? Had to throw in my favorite specialty beer for the grill...

Comment

Nice project! Subscribed!

COTM

Comment

good to see such a detailed vision of a cab under the rigors of paint prep. this will be happening for mine within a year or so, so this is an excellent tool for me. Looks awesome man!
              Late model granitesilber 325i convertible FS:
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=293701

Comment

UPDATE: August 6th
                Sprayed the first layer of primer and wet sanded with 320 grit. Tomorrow I spray second layer of primer and wet sand with 600 grit.

Forgot my SD card, will post pics this evening.

Comment

Looking good keep up the good work and post more pics.
                  sigpic
                  1990 E30 325ic (sold for more than I paid for it after 5 Years)
                  1995 E30 325e (in progress)
                  1987 E30 325is (totaled)
                  1990 E30 325i
                  1991 E30 318is M50 PWR
                  1996 E36 328ic
                  1997 Z3
                  2006 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 6.5' bed The work horse (need something to drag all these old BMW's home for resurrection.)

Comment

awesome progress. Hopefully i grow the balls to do this to my car soon. Im looking forward to the final product...
                    My LS1 swap thread:
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=160030

Comment

OK, here are the latest pictures, first coat of filler primer and 320 wet.

in action. This is best done outside when its a beautiful August day. TIP: KEEP A CONSTANT FLOW OF WATER ON YOUR SPONGE AND PAPER. It makes it so much easier and avoids caking that is a major pain to clean up afterward.
                      Yes, that hot F150 Nite Edition in the background is mine. My work truck for projects but DD right now. 351W not great on the gas.

All clean and ready for an alcohol wipe and sealer primer. Those bare spots are where I had to get rid of drips. TIP: DON'T GET IMPATIENT AND SPRAY TOO THICK. Drips take more time to fix than taking the time to layer properly. Even after 320 wet, it is SILKY SMOOTH. It's gonna be so money after sealer and wet 600!

more fun stuff arrived from Bavauto today... taillight seals, emblems, grill clips, various molding fasteners... oh yeah and 5000K HID's with 55W slim ballasts and clear Lamin-X for all 6 lenses!

Now the crowning photo: went and got all my paint! I know the guy that runs the paint shop at NAPA and he hooked me up FATTY. Got two quarts of sealer primer and a quart of reducer for that, a gallon of 138/3 zinnoberrot with reducer already mixed in, and a gallon of the TOP SHELF clear with a quart of hardener for that, mixing containers, stir sticks, strainers, and in-line air filters. Price tag for this: Expect to pay $300. I didnt pay that though. :) btw red is one of the most expensive pigments.

Another tidbit of knowledge if you are venturing towards a complete paint job: REMOVE ALL THE MOLDING CLIPS. They are a major pain to sand and wash around, and I've got cuts all over my hands from nicking them while sanding. They aren't cheap, like a buck each though from bav and I think a little cheaper from Pelican.
                      And another tidbit: YOU DON'T NEED TO REMOVE YOUR WINDSHIELD OR THE RUBBER SURROUND! I removed the "chrome" plastic strip that expands the rubber seal, and cut strips of cardboard, wedged them between the windshield frame and the seal, which collapsed the seal and exposed the metal for painting. When I pull the cardboard out after painting, it will overlap the new paint by a good quarter inch. Picture says it better...

I will be spraying sealer primer this weekend and wet sanding 600 grit. I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel...

ALMOST FORGOT... POLL: Should I get a plate filler for between the taillights? They are $58 from bav. What would that look like painted body color?
                      Last edited by bimmerboy12; 11-04-2009, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Nice. How do you do the cowl area?
                        What the reason for wetsanding?
                        89 325is track project / 05 x5 / 99 M3
                        E30 stuff for sale | Parts I'm looking for

Comment

You dont want to spray the primer sealer and wet sand with 600. Your paint will have trouble sticking to anything less then 320. So you should just spray the sealer primer, let it tack up and then spray your base/clear. S10forum.com has a great body section. You should check it out.

Comment

E30this- I appreciate the help. I definitely do want to sand between primer and base though. The research I did after reading your post said a 400 wet should be used. I think I will go that route.

In other news, I was not able to spray sealer this weekend... it was 94 and extremely humid. This whole week is looking pretty hot and humid so Im pretty pissed.

Comment

I owe everybody an update... I wetsanded the primered front bumper, mirrors, gas door, brake ducts, etc. Also, i have had a hell of a time with the proper material to fill between my RD rear apron and the bumper. Tried Butyl Rubber- too soft. Latex-too hard, cracked. Had to scrape all that out which was not fun, and now have an acrylic urethane filler. Its the stuff they seal RV roofs with, and it's paintable. I'll know if its the ticket when I primer it.

Im taking a half-day of vacation today and going to sealer primer everything. Its supposed to be 85 today, but Im sick of waiting and still driving my pickup. I'll post pics of the progress this weekend.... stay tuned.

Comment

I got it sealer primered! hopefully color and clear this weekend!

Comment

Working...
                                X