No announcement yet.

DIY: Euro Bumper Install - Early Models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think through the years its different actually.

But after closer inspection, you're right Jason. My US plug has the same prongs and its ready to fit, just the plug shape is every so slightly different. If I trimmed it, it would work.

Ill take pictures of it when I feel like having front turn signals. ;)
    Or I get pulled over, either one.

Comment

On my '87, the US connectors were three flat pins in a row, all parallel. The euro pigtails I got were 2 pins in a row. Cutting off the parking light pin/housing on the American harness may work, but the rubber boot that seals the connector won't fit anymore.

Hmm, I just got an idea of how to make parking light AND turn signal work with the euro housing. Unfortunately, I'm away from my car and can't test it.

If both the white and blue wires are hot (+) and brown is the common ground, you could tie white and blue into the same pin on the bulb. To prevent funky things from damaging circuitry further back in the harness, both have to be put through diodes. Diagram:

I can't test this at the moment (need to know current through those signal wires to know what size diode I would need) but if someone has the tools and skills, go for it.

A problem I can see right away is what happens if both the parking light and signal want to turn on - voltage will double and may blow the bulb. Any advice?
      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
        On my '87, the US connectors were three flat pins in a row, all parallel. The euro pigtails I got were 2 pins in a row. Cutting off the parking light pin/housing on the American harness may work, but the rubber boot that seals the connector won't fit anymore.

Hmm, I just got an idea of how to make parking light AND turn signal work with the euro housing. Unfortunately, I'm away from my car and can't test it.

If both the white and blue wires are hot (+) and brown is the common ground, you could tie white and blue into the same pin on the bulb. To prevent funky things from damaging circuitry further back in the harness, both have to be put through diodes. Diagram:

I can't test this at the moment (need to know current through those signal wires to know what size diode I would need) but if someone has the tools and skills, go for it.

A problem I can see right away is what happens if both the parking light and signal want to turn on - voltage will double and may blow the bulb. Any advice?
        I was going to run the bulb through a normally closed relay, and the relay would be opening and closing via the indicator wire when you turn them on.

Excuse the ms.paint drawing..
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Jean; 06-04-2008, 04:31 PM.
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Thanks for the pics; I'm subscribing to this one....

I have some beat-up euros sitting in my back yard, and I've been needing some encouragement to fix and install them anyway. ;)
          Jason

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
            relays!
            Now that I think about it, my way would inhibit blinking when the parking light is on. I think I had that realization earlier, and was assembling something involving transistors in my head until I got distracted.

With your method, however, it will not blink at all unless the parking light is on - if the parking wire is grounded and the turn wire starts going and flipping around the relay, nothing will happen, since the bulb's + will see (ground) (disconnected) (ground) (disconnected), the way I'm reading it at least.

I've got a pencil out right now and am trying to figure this out.
            cars beep boop

Comment

OK, I figured out a way. What we're trying to do boils down to (blink)XOR(parking). That's doable with a relay if we do it smartly.

Check out this link, first (it's a java applet thing, you have to wait a bit for it to load)

I'll be reading up on relays in a bit, but the ones used there look fairly standard. They need a solid source of +, though. You can either run a separate constant + wire or do the thing I did with the diodes to get power when you need it. Diagram:

I think this will work.
              cars beep boop

Comment

whoa

Comment

Yep. When parking lights are ON, circuit is complete through the normally closed relay contact.

If you blink while parking lights are OFF, bulb is powered directly through the blinker wire, but relay is activated still but that doesn't matter.

If you blink while while parking lights are ON, the bulb is powered through the blinker wire and the diodes in the correct orientation will not short circuit the Parking "constant on" and blinker "on/off" wires.
                  Attached Files
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I'm quite good with electronics, but apparently I dont read MS Paint very well..

Comment

Ok here is what I am doing... Not sure if its been done before but today at the shop as I was explaining the dilemma to my mechanic at first he said "thats the way it is..." meaning US has the 3 wires euro has 2 since the parking is in the headlight.

So after a bit of pushing here is what we came up with.

The 3 wire plug will get split into 2, 2 wires will go to the front signal. This will also feed the repeater which Im going to install on the side fender.

The 3rd wire(the parking) along with ground will go into the US elips. Yes US Elips, how you say? Here are some quick pictures as we tested the idea on a broken US Elips(and yes if I havent told you already, please pack all light, ie headlights and tail lights extremely carefully as they will break since most delivery guys love the openning scene of Ace Ventura Pet detective.)

Remove the bulb base from the US side bumper parking light. You know the 2 yellows up front and the 2 reds in the back located on the bumper trim...

Now drill a hole in the back of the Elips and dremel the 2 square tabs. Just like the turns.

Here is what it should look like.

The Plastic on the Elips is a bit thinner then the turn housing so you will need an extra gasket so it fits tight and is sealed.

When installed it will look like this. It "clicks" in just like the parking light housing.

And a quick test on a battery and this is what they will look like, will most likely use a lower voltage bulb.(the top of elips is broken... if you want to know why see my above paragraph)

So whatch you think??? I will post pics next week when done. Obviously if you have euro elips, with city lights you can wire those instead of drilling into your headlights...
                      sigpic
                      New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                      %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

You wont be able to see that when the lights are on.

Comment

Originally posted by whowhatwhere View Post
                          You wont be able to see that when the lights are on.
                          sorry I guess I should have clarified. They are parking light. They are on when parked like the side lights on the us cars and the city lights on the euro headlights.
                          sigpic
                          New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
                          %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

I wired it to where I can blink but the parking light doesnt stay on. How do you wire it to have the parking lights on all the time and so you can also blink?
                            84' 318i m30b35 swapped!

Comment

Originally posted by flawdaboi407 View Post
                              I wired it to where I can blink but the parking light doesnt stay on. How do you wire it to have the parking lights on all the time and so you can also blink?
                              I dont think you can with out running a new module(thats not the right word...), this way it will turn off parking and the turn on for blinking...
                              sigpic

Levent
                              %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by flawdaboi407 View Post
                                This is what Jean and I have been working on. Check the electrical diagrams a couple posts up.
                                cars beep boop

Comment

Working...
                                X