Cirrus Rebirth - LS1 Powered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cirrus Rebirth - LS1 Powered

Been quite a while since I have had a street car, and with my racecar not seeing much track time lately I decided to get one of my projects back on the front burner so I can enjoy driving on a daily basis vs. "commuting" in my ¾ ton pickup. I still have a few projects to knock out for other people before I can devote full attention to this project, but I have at least started moving forward enough with the build to get a thread started.

This is originally a Cirrus Blue car that belonged to a good friend of mine, back when my racecar was still a street/AX/DE car. At one point it was actually a very nice car with only an average respray (with a few hail dents) holding it back. My buddy parked it on jack stands, stripped it down and basically sanded the entire car down to metal in anticipation of painting it. Life got in the way, it sat, and eventually he started selling off all the parts until not much but the shell was left. He finally decided it needed to go so we threw enough parts on it to get it rolling and moved it over to a mutual friend’s house where it sat for a couple more years in his backyard in anticipation of being built back up. The car landed in my lap a and I’ve been storing it until recently when I decided it was time to get it back on the road.

Here is what I am starting with - dragging the car to my buddies shop:

My plans are pretty simple - make it fun and track worthy but keep it reasonably comfortable for the street. Original plans were to drop in an S52 that has been passed around friends, but now it looks like it will be a v8 of some variant. It will have AC. I had a lot of 5-lug "stuff" so it's going that route with m-coupe trailing arms and a mix of stuff up front. BC coilovers (e36) seemed to be a good bang for the buck so it's going to sit on those unless I decide to borrow the 5300's from the race car :-D. I have a few goodies for the interior I bartered for when we stuffed the S65 in my friends racecar (think e92 m3).

What it looks like now with a weekend of throwing parts at it:

BC Coilovers/IE 25mm sway, e36 M Knuckle:

E46M3 Rotor/996 Caliper:

Throw some freshly restored Style 68 wheels on it for the street and Bob's your uncle:

I am hoping to have this thing rolling in the next few months and back in full Cirrus glory by end of summer.
    Last edited by iflytii; 09-05-2014, 11:25 AM.

Nice suspension setup.
    Good luck with your projects

-
    Project
    Parts for Sale
    Feedback
    YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
      Nice suspension setup.
      Good luck with your projects
      Thanks. I'm curious to see how the BC coilovers perform.

Got a little more time in the shop today and mainly concentrated on the brakes. The rears were lacking final line placement and a once-over to make sure all is good. Fit the front calipers to check wheel clearance and as I suspected I ended up having to go with a 10mm spacer to clear the stock wheels. I had some left over wheel studs from my long gone M-Coupe, so I threw those on for good measure.

So now working upstream, on to the pedals/master cylinders. Made the last few tweaks to the pedal mount/adapter and got everything mocked up.

Now I just need to get the master cylinders plumbed but I'm going to wait on reservoir placement until I have the mocked up in the engine bay.
      Last edited by iflytii; 01-24-2014, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Good luck - looks like a good project.

Please leave the Harley decal.
        2011 1M Alpine white/black
        1996 Civic white/black
        1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Wow this is going to be crazy!

Comment

Nice!
            sigpic

Comment

great start! wanna know what v8 your going with

Comment

Originally posted by Crazyhorse13 View Post
                wanna know what v8 your going with

Although I have a perfectly good m60b40 sitting in the garage, I think I'll shove another LS based motor in this car. I've been happy with the LS1 in my race car and I've helped a few others with LS or truck motor variant swaps so I have jigs for mounts as well a car sitting in my garage I can use as reference or to borrow parts from.

The big decision is to find another LS, or go with the L33 aluminum block truck motor. I guess when the right deal comes along that will make the decision for me.

Originally posted by einhander
                Please leave the Harley decal.
                I'm afraid it's already gone. :(
                Last edited by iflytii; 01-25-2014, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Next on the agenda is the fuel system.

When my racecar was a street car, I know I fought starvation and ended up installing a fuel cell in the trunk to "fix it". Since this car is going to be a street car, I'd like to actually have a spare tire so the stock tank/location is a must. Knowing I wanted to keep the stock tank I went ahead and ordered a new tank since the old one had been used as a jack point and has been sitting outside for a couple years with the filler tube missing exposed to the world. A slightly side story, the last time I ordered anything from JC Whitney was in the year 1986 when I filled out an order form and mailed a check. Free shipping and 10% made a new tank a no-brainer.

So in researching it looks like there are a few solutions that might help.

I really like the crossover LSM3 Did, but I do worry about what would happen with a drive shaft failure:

Another good idea from Jlevie using the transfer pump to feed the high pressure side:

I've also seen several solutions for swirl pots and surge tanks but I'd like to really contain everything except the obvious need for the Fuel filter/FPR within the tank. So I'm thinking a dual pump setup might just be the ticket. That seems to be a common solution for the e36 crowd and with a tank that has access on both sides it seems to be fairly easy to setup.

Comment

Been busy with a couple cage projects and one lingering project that I desperately need to get out of my garage, but I am finally getting some time to start dedicating to this project again.

I've decided to pull the drive train (built ls1/tko600 rr) from my racecar and stuff in this project. And heck, while I'm at it I'm stealing the AST 5300's. The racecar will go into hibernation until I have time to dedicate to racing it again - but in the meantime I can enjoy having something fun to play with that is street legal.

So the motor is out and I'm waiting on offset dowels to get the new bell housing aligned. The tilton 5.5" triple disk setup while really awesome on the track just wasn't what I want for a street car. It's going up for sale soon if anyone needs a great track setup. It includes the bell housing, tob, flywheel, clutch disks (and spare set), and reverse mount starter.

Will get some pics of the progress ASAP.

Comment

Found a good place to store my motor!

Comment

srs bsns up in here!

Comment

Fuel system is now checked off the list of to-do items!

Ran new hard lines under the car, and used a vette FPR/Filter. The FPR/filter nestles nicely in the recess at the front of the seat. It's barely visible (hangs below the rocker about 1/4"), but it's not the lowest point of the car so I'm not worried about scraping it.

Ran -6 braided hoses from the topside pump/return across and down where the hardlines meet up:

Used some "firesleeve" on the fuel and brake lines going up the footwell past the headers:

Driveline is all done, ready to start on the exhaust:

Comment

wow cant believe Nobody is watching this thread, i love what you did with the fuel lines, nice and clean install!

Thats the thing with most of these American V8 swaps. It seems like most of them are done really half assed. not this one! good job man!
                            1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                            1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                            1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                            1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Interesting project. Can't wait to see finished car.
                              1990 e30 325is S50 swap (NASA GTS2 race car)
                              1990 e30 325is
                              1988 e30 M3 S50 euro swap

Comment

Working...
                              X