Wheel fitment question. Mods please move to wheel thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel fitment question. Mods please move to wheel thread

Moderators please move to the official wheel/tire fitment thread.

Hey all, this is not an e30 wheel fitment question but i don't belong to any other forums and i'm sure you guys can help me out. I just picked up a cherry 2003 330xi 6sp for my wife. The car did not come with a spare tire or rim and ordering a single replacement is crazy expensive. I got a line on a set of used rims which will work out great for her snow tires(if they fit) off of a 2006 x3 and I'm wondering if I will have fitment issues. The 330 currently has BMW style 98 rims 17 x 7, 5mm x 120mm bolt pattern, 72.5mm center bore, 47mm offset, with m12 x 1.5 lug bolts. The rims I'm looking at are BMW style 279 17 x 8, 5mm x 120mm bolt pattern, 72.5 center bore, 46mm offset, with m14 x 1.5 lug bolts.

The summer and winter tires are 205/50/17. My concern is with the x3 rims being an inch wider. I plan on mounting the snow tires on them and putting one in the trunk for a spare. I'm wondering if the wider rim will change the overall tire height enough to screw up the AWD system if I need to use it as a spare? I'm assuming a wider rim will equal a shorter tire. My other concern is with the difference in lug bolt size. I'm not familiar with what the numbers mean. Does the x3 rim have larger diameter lug bolt holes or is it just a longer bolt? And last but not least, will the wider rim stick out of the wheel wells and look stupid?

Thanks in advance, Ted
    Last edited by Alaska Ted; 09-02-2016, 07:40 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

the style 279's will stick out just under 1/2" compared to your current wheel.

no need for different lugs. disregard the m14 in this case as you will continue to use your m12 lugs.

can't answer to the AWD question.
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X