Replacing center bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing center bearing

I am about to get going on replacing the center bearing and flex disk, and I have what Bentley calls a vibration damper over the flex disk.
    It's a big cup that is apparently locked into the back of the transmission, and I can't see how to get to the bolt heads inside it on the trans. side of the disk because it looks like it only comes off after you get the driveshaft off.
    How am I supposed to get to these bolt heads?
    325es, built 2/86 (small guibo)

The flex disk is attached to the drive shaft, then attached to the tranny. If you remove the 3 nuts off of the tranny output studs, you pull the driveshaft/guibo out together. You do not remove the guibo from the driveshaft until it is removed from the tranny output. I agree, that cover is a PITA, but it is actually irrelevant since you do not need to get a wrench inside of it.
    Don't forget the good things Hitler did.

Comment

also worth noting, that cover is the vibration dampener. you do not need to put it back on. Don't.

I know alot of people that have removed it, and felt no difference in vibrations. Also, its what 3-4lbs? thats a good chunk of rotational wieght eating hp.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

thanks

I am in the middle of it now, getting my keyboard dirty...
        That 3 lbs is cheaper than machining a flywheel, for sure.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X