Best tire for under $100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best tire for under $100

In your opinion, what do you think the best summer performance tires are available? I plan autocrossing in the spring. I want a sticky tire, but I also want a tire that will last for more than 7,000 miles (unlike my Yoko AVS intermediates). I've heard good things about Yokohama ES1000s. I've also read in my Grassroots Motorsports of many cars riding with Falken Azeni sports. I looked them up and saw they were priced the same as the yokos i meantion. Any word on the Falkens?

97 Cosmos M3

I run the Falkens and really like them, although they suck in heavy rain. Wet traction isn't all that bad but stay away from large pools of water. Nice sticky tire, holds well, and the side wall stiffness is excellent. They're a bit heavy. Noise isn't too bad but you'll hear them. I'd recommend them for the price.
    Driving is the only way to go faster....

Comment

I run the falken's as an autox tire as well, and they're very nice for a street tire. They're noisy, and have a very limited amount of sizes available, and some people say they're bad in the rain. Mileage wise, I think you'll be lucky to get 5000 usable miles out of them, they tend to wear very quickly.

The es100 is a good compromise tire, good street manners, excellent in the wet, and not awful for autox usage.

Not great mind you, but not awful.

-Charlie
      Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
      '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
      FYYFF

Comment

I've heard that the Falken's don't last long at all, and the rain traction is horrible, due ot the fact that they have no centerline.

I kinda want them, but I want to see how many miles most people get out of them.

Comment

Personally, I was quite unhappy with those Falkens. I tried several psi setups (fronts/rears) but was quite unsuccessful getting any real grip. I've been very impressed with 2 different sets of Dunlops and a tire made by VISA (inexpensive V rated). I'm currently running Toyo Proxes. For my driving style, they are OK, but nothing to really brag about in terms of dry grip.

Tires, just like brakes, are a very personal choice dependent upon your driving style. When you find the right ones for you, you will know it immediately.
          Don't forget the good things Hitler did.

Comment

One of my good friends runs 225/45-16 Yoko AVS es100's on his 87' 325is. He is very happy with them. Very good dry and wet traction, pretty decent treadwear for an ultra-high performance tire, and awesome value. I'll be picking up a set for my new Zenders shortly. :)
            '91 318is
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RedBaron86325
              Personally, I was quite unhappy with those Falkens. I tried several psi setups (fronts/rears) but was quite unsuccessful getting any real grip. I've been very impressed with 2 different sets of Dunlops and a tire made by VISA (inexpensive V rated). I'm currently running Toyo Proxes. For my driving style, they are OK, but nothing to really brag about in terms of dry grip.

Tires, just like brakes, are a very personal choice dependent upon your driving style. When you find the right ones for you, you will know it immediately.
              Will, what pressures/wheel sizes were you running? Azeni's love high pressures, I seriously run 40-41 psi on the street, and they give good response. that's about the same I run them at for autox usage, maybe dropping down a few pounds if it's a slippery lot.

I've found anything less than 38 psi in those on the street feels like crap.

-Charlie
              Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
              '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
              FYYFF

Comment

Wow, I'm real surprised you said that Bill. A few years back (2002 maybe?), like 14 of the top 15 cars in STS were running Falkens.

Comment

Azenis are the best tire that I've ever had on my E30. Yes, they are a little noisy, but just look at that contact patch. I don't auto-x, but on the track they are great. Tend to get slippery after about 4 to 5 laps of pushing it, but back off for a 1/2 a lap and they come right back. Besides, who can beat $53/tire shipped from Discounttiredirect? :D

Comment

I have the Yoko AVS ES 100s on my M right now, I love 'em. Great bang for the buck. Dry grip is impressive, but it hasnt rained with them on yet so I can't really comment on wet.
                    Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Like I said, I played with the psi. I tried every conceivable combination between 32-45 psi. This was very similar with Mich Pilots. Pilots=34psi front, 44psi rear. I just couldn't get the Falkens nor the Pilots to hook up at all (granted these were much better than OE 14" wheels and H rated tires). I had much better luck with the $66.00 Visa vrated tires.

The Toyo Proxes that I am currently running are decent, but I will be switching back to Dunlop next time. One thing that I can say about these Toyos is that the wet traction is really good; but, I live in SoCal. It only rains about 5 days/year here.

Again, something I can't stress enough (personal opinion) is that tires are a very personal preference on your particular driving style. Our track car runs Khumos that I don't really care for, but Al pops some very quick times with them. We switched to my Dunlops (same track, same car, same day, same size tires) and I had great times, but Al had slower times.
                      Don't forget the good things Hitler did.

Comment

Working...
                      X