Part out 332ti or looking for E36 shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part out 332ti or looking for E36 shell

I recently totaled my E36 318ti with an S52 swap, aka 332ti. Right now I'm trying to figure out if I should just part it out, or find another E36 body to transfer all the salvageable performance parts into. I figured I'd throw this out there to the local community to see what the interest was in parts, or if anybody had a line on a good swap candidate. I'd prefer a 328is or 323is to minimize problems with OBD or 4 cyl vs 6 cyl issues. I've seen a few on CL but haven't gotten in contact with anybody yet.

It would make a good parts car for someone looking to go 24v and 5 lug or to build up another 318ti. The car took a relatively hard hit on the front left corner while traveling somewhat backwards, spun, and hit the left rear corner. As you can see from the picture the hood, bumper, and radiator support were ripped off. The control arm is bent, tie rod sheared, and wheel broken, therefor the related parts in that area should be reused cautiously, or replaced.

What's still good on the car:
    Drivetrain:
    20k on rebuilt S52 by Metric Mechanic - cost 7k alone
    Lightly Ported head w/ valve job
    Extra advance vanos
    Ceramic coated main bearings
    Metric Mechanic valve springs
    Surface turbulence valves
    Trap door oil pan baffle
    Increased coolant flow
    Custom tune
    Secondary air pump delete with simulator
    M50 Manifold conversion
    Supersprint replica headers to custom 3" exhaust
    ZF M3 5 Speed
    UUC Aluminum flywheel w/sprung hub clutch and M5 pressure plate
    Stewart water pump upgrade
    ~8k on rebuilt medium case 3.25 LSD

Suspension/Steering/brakes
    Ground Control coilover conversion 450lb f / 650lb r springs and Koni SA shocks - drivers front may be damaged. I think it will be reusable as the strut doesn't resist impacts from the side, only up and down.
    328i vented front discs, performance friction pads all around
    UUC Steel braided brake lines
    E46 01+ 330i steering rack - the drivers side tie rod sheared, the rack may still be good but I'm not sure
    Swapped front strut mounts for -2 degrees camber
    M Coupe Sway bars
    E36 X Brace

Interior:
    Factory Sport Seats
    Alcantara headliner
    M3 Gage cluster
    JVC head unit wired for satellite radio -- display matches factory interior nicely
    Pre-wired for sub and amp
    Braille 17lb AGM battery relocated to hatch
    Extra sound deadening in hatch
    Attached Files

Jump on this. It's got M everything already to go for a swap. Price is right too.

Comment

Can that LSD be swapped into an e30?
      sigpic

4 doors.. so much room for activities!

IG @bluebombr

Transaction Feedback:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=323622

Comment

Originally posted by ncsubowen View Post
        Can that LSD be swapped into an e30?

Yep. Direct bolt in.
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
          Yep. Direct bolt in.
          If you end up parting it out, then sign me up for that LSD.
          sigpic

4 doors.. so much room for activities!

IG @bluebombr

Transaction Feedback:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=323622

Comment

Shame, what happened? You just got that car not long ago correct.
            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I've had the car for 5 years. I put it up for sale a few months ago but it never sold. I hit a guard rail at the ridge after the rear end decided to pass the front end. I think that's against the rules, there was no point by! lol

Comment

Besides the OBD and the 4cyl vs 6cyl issues how did you like the car with the swap? I'm thinking the e36 318 msport as a possible canvas for something fun.

Comment

The car was a 97 318ti to start off with so I didn't have any OBD issues, but I lost traction control when I did the swap as the traction control computer and wiring was all setup to interface with the M44. I also went to vented rotors from a 328i as the car came with solid fronts. After the swap was completed I installed e30 6 cyl half shafts and rear diff as the car came with 4 cyl stuff. So just be aware those are all things you'll deal with starting with a 318i.

The car was really fun. The power of an M3 with the versatility of a hatchback. Unfortunately you're stuck with the E30 rear trailing arm suspension which can be a handful. So if I build another E36 I'll go with a coupe/sedan as it seems those are easier to drive at the limit and less prone to oversteer. Of course, if you're a good driver, or if you never push close to the limits, none of that is a problem.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I should go view some e36 forums too. r3ving your car on a track is an honorable way to go. Bummer though.

Comment

Ouch. Trailing throttle oversteer?

The ti seems to be a lot like the 2002 that way- more so than the E30.

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I lost it at turn 10 at the ridge. Came up over the crest flat footed turned in and the rear end came out. I countersteered but couldn't bring it back, perhaps a better drive could have, or maybe I lifted or something. Maybe my steering input wasn't as smooth as it could have been. Or perhaps I was just plain going too fast. I did some lead/follow laps there in my BRZ this weekend and tried to figure out if there was something else I did like taking a bad line. As far as I can tell I was taking the school line and following the turn in and apex cones. Growing pains...

Comment

That's when I started running a camera- they are such a learning aid when "I think" turns into "I can't..."
                          I hit the inside wall of T9 at Pacific, and the camera explained that it was the REARS getting
                          unhooked by the dips. Because I was a bit wide in 8, then early into 9.
                          Same thing- 'oh, huh, it's doing... that? well... oh... well, shit.'

Sucks. But you move on....

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Feel your pain. Turn 5 in Seattle.

sigpic

Comment

email me. I might have a nice shell for you. sa_haynes @ yahoo
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X