Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going rate for buying all parts for a tranny swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going rate for buying all parts for a tranny swap?

Hi,

I have a "parts" car 1986es, 260k on it, no records but apparently
    was well maintained until the guy blew his timing belt upon startup
    last year and sold it to me. I am thinking of parting it out.

I have a buyer who wants to do a auto->manual swap and thus come over and pay for all parts needed for swap.. what is the going rate, i.e. what should I tell him?

From his email "Here is what I need, Petal box, Tranny from flywheel to the tail shaft including the slave cyln. I also would like rear diff as well" and he is offering me $300.

Questions (some of which will show my newbiness to mechanical things)

1. when he means tail shaft, does he mean drive shaft?
    2. The 2.93 LSD alone is worth about $100, right, so he is really
    offering me about $200 then...
    3. how does one separate the tranny from the engine--does
    the whole engine need to come out using a cherry picker to
    get it separated?
    4. I figure my used eta engine w/ blown belt (probably no head
    damage since it was on startup) is worth about another $200?
    5. To get this out of the car, do I need to do it or if he does it--
    should I be giving him a better deal?

Thanks in Advance...Marv
    '86 325 original owner for 20 years * SOLD *
    '86 325es * SOLD *
    '05 Honday Odyssey Minivan.

I paid $500 for all my parts, and I mean everything off the parts car. After replacing wear items etc. I was closer to $1,500.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Digitalwave...thanks.

So you paid $500 to the person for all the manual tranny parts...was that including the driveshaft and LSD, or without? And what (in wear parts) cost so much afterwards (something like $1,000) ... what did you discover that needed replacing?
      '86 325es * SOLD *

Comment

marvin,
        that figure seems a little low, BUT, if he does ALL the work removing the parts then i would go ahead and sell to him for that price...otherwise you are looking at some serious hours of labor by yerself...

BTW: hows the drivers side fender on your parts car? dents? rust? i need a fender for my e30...
        IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golde30
          BTW: hows the drivers side fender on your parts car? dents? rust? i need a fender for my e30...
          hahaha I already took it. :twisted:

But anyways, $300 seams low, unless you do what Gold said and have him remove all of the parts. Pulling the tranny is a lot of work, but you don't need to pull the engine to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin_Hecht
            Digitalwave...thanks.

So you paid $500 to the person for all the manual tranny parts...was that including the driveshaft and LSD, or without? And what (in wear parts) cost so much afterwards (something like $1,000) ... what did you discover that needed replacing?
            No LSD was included. I replaced the clutch kit, pilot bearing, rear main seal, all the tranny seals, clutch fork, CSB, guibo, all shift linkage, resurfaced the flywheel... and some other things that I can't remember right now.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i
              sonofa B...i need it more than u do.

Comment

Are there any junkyards up in the city? I would recommend finding one there. If not, I could grab one for you from a Pick-N-Pull down here. Bronzit, right?

Comment

Are there any junkyards up in the city? I would recommend finding one there. If not, I could grab one for you from a Pick-N-Pull down here. Bronzit, right?
                  my car is lachisilber...the yards here dont take cars older than like 95 nowadayz. plus i have NO car to drive around and look. if u happen to be at the yards, i would greatly appreciate if u kept yer eye out for one, thanks! 8)

Comment

Golde30

Yeah Erik325i beat you to my front left fender on the parts car, haha. But check with C3motorsport he still has some fenders in red and silver. And ShadowE30 had a lachsilber car that was intact maybe he wants to sell the fender from it for you.

Sounds this guy is low-balling a little, I might say $400 and DIY, assuming I am going to part the car out...
                    '86 325es * SOLD *

Comment

If you need it I have an extra 5 Speed Getrag 260 sitting in my garage. It definately needs the seals replaced but I could sell it to you for $150 plus shipping.

As a matter a fact it's the tranny that came out of the car in my sig.

Comment

my car is lachisilber...the yards here dont take cars older than like 95 nowadayz. plus i have NO car to drive around and look. if u happen to be at the yards, i would greatly appreciate if u kept yer eye out for one, thanks! 8)
                        I'll keep an eye out for a lachisilber fender for you. I will probably go to the Pick-N-Pull on Thurs.

Ohh, and Marvin, I'm still looking for a fender for your car, but I haven't been able to find a nice Dschwarz one. All the black cars are either schwarz or beat to hell.

Comment

Working...
                        X