Slushbox question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slushbox question

Ok, so this is the first e30 auto I've ever seen, so needless to say I'm completely unfamilar with the system in general.

Here's what the symptoms are. If the car is cold, the car will operate normally while yard driving (ie - goes in reverse and first). However, once it gets warmed up, getting into reverse becomes a bit more of a pain, and forward is all but impossible - lots of shifting between reverse, neutral and drive to get it to clunk in.

Now, when I try to put it in drive when it's warm, it makes a horrible grinding sound - but it sounds like it's coming from the rear. Giving it gas does nothing, just makes the grinding louder. Put it in reverse, it grinds then clunks into reverse, and functions normally. Neutral is silent and functions normally. I've found that between shifting between neutral and drive quickly for a minute will get it to clunk into drive, or backing up a bit and then trying drive. Any stress on the drivetrain, however, and it clunks back out - for instance, I was driving the car onto a pair of ramps, and halfway up it would come out of gear.

What I don't understand is why it works sometimes, works when it's cold, works when you shift between neutral and drive, and why the grinding is coming from the rear.

Thoughts?

I'm not really sure there is much you can do, the tranny sounds like it's going out. you can try flushing the fluid and changing the filter, but there's not really any way to fix one. how many miles are on it? Mine has 172k and the tranny shifts fine (even with me constantly playing with it).
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
      I'm not really sure there is much you can do, the tranny sounds like it's going out. you can try flushing the fluid and changing the filter, but there's not really any way to fix one. how many miles are on it? Mine has 172k and the tranny shifts fine (even with me constantly playing with it).
      240xxx - and it's a parts car, so I'm not concerned with getting it to last, more if the parts are worth anything.

So from the way I've described it, the tranny is junk?

Comment

It could be due to an EXTREMELY dirty valve body, but more likely it's some internal failure. Even if a valve body fixes it, the rest of the thing isn't going to work well enough to sell it with 240k on it anyway. Junk it.
        Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Originally posted by AdamF 88iS
          It could be due to an EXTREMELY dirty valve body, but more likely it's some internal failure. Even if a valve body fixes it, the rest of the thing isn't going to work well enough to sell it with 240k on it anyway. Junk it.
          I doubt anyone really wants an autotragic anyways. Meh - I'll give it away to whoever wants it.

Adam, you just reminded me - I have a clean untorn driver's side visor for you. PM me your chipping info and it's yours - I owe you for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X