M Coupe diff and drive shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M Coupe diff and drive shaft

I have a 1999 M Coupe donor car and 1988 325is with a 4.10 LSD.

Now after the S52 swap do I:

1) Use the Getrag 260 + e30 drive shaft + find a 3.73 diff

2) Use the ZF tranny + Z3 driveshaft (can I do this if I get it shortened and rebalanced ?) + Z3 diff +/- whole rear end ?

Any options are appreciated

You can also just use the stock e30 tranny and the diff from the M coupe, it works pretty darn well.

Comment

M Coupe Diff and tranny

The diff from the M Coupe is a 3.15 LSD

Wouldn't that be to low a gearing to use with the stock E30 tranny ?

Comment

Re: M Coupe Diff and tranny

Originally posted by MGYVER
        The diff from the M Coupe is a 3.15 LSD

Wouldn't that be to low a gearing to use with the stock E30 tranny ?
        I'd say that would be way too tall gearing unless you were going for a high-boost turbo setup.

The E30 tranny w/ the 4.10 will be fine. Think about it, it'll be just like the M20 but with 500 or so extra rpm to work with. I'm thinking about putting a 4.10 in my car.
        '91 318is
        sigpic

Comment

Actually I find the 4.10 has its disadvantages - Even with the stock engine (chip and intake only) there is great acceleration in 1st - which is nice in the city (and the reason I got it in the first place) but 1st is very short. I can easily start out in 2nd if I wanted to. Also on the highway, the rpm's are a bit high for cruising and at today's gas prices, it would be nice to get a few more miles for each buck. Currently I'm only getting about 240 miles to a tank - mostly city mind you, but highway is not a lot better.

Comment

Good points. With the S50 1st gear will be practically useless anyways. :twisted:

I'd still try it out just for the hell of it though, you can always trade your 4.10 for a 3.73 + cash..
            '91 318is
            sigpic

Comment

Re: M Coupe diff and drive shaft

Originally posted by MGYVER
              I have a 1999 M Coupe donor car and 1988 325is with a 4.10 LSD.

Now after the S52 swap do I:

1) Use the Getrag 260 + e30 drive shaft + find a 3.73 diff

2) Use the ZF tranny + Z3 driveshaft (can I do this if I get it shortened and rebalanced ?) + Z3 diff +/- whole rear end ?

Any options are appreciated
              I think you should use the ZF tranny E30 M3 prop and the Mcoupe Diff.

A

Andrew AT E30zone.co.uk | H23-is | S14

Comment

Working...
              X