Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brake Fluid Reservoir Wiring Repair? Little Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Fluid Reservoir Wiring Repair? Little Help?

Hey everybody, got a little mystery here for you:

Seems as though a critter got under the hood of my M42 318is and made a snack out of the wiring that comes out of the brake fluid reservoir cap. Observe:

So I have some questions that I need help with:

1. Does anyone know if this wiring harness assembly can be purchased as a single replacement unit? Scouring RealOEM has not yielded any results (though I may be blind). Does anyone know of a part# for this harness?

2. If this can't be replaced wholesale, does anyone know what sort of wire, or what gauge, I should purchase in order to repair it? I've done a little bit of soldering in the past, and I think I have the skills to get it done, but I thought I'd get the opinions of the experts first before I warm up the soldering iron.

3. Why am I not getting an idiot light or a code from the stomp test about this? What exactly is this wiring connected to? Isn't this a sensor to measure the amount of brake fluid? Am I being a complete idiot about this?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Just get some tube connectors and crimp them on. If the rats, im assuming, just bit through it, you shouldn't need to add any wire to it.
    Originally posted by wholepailofwater
    Q
    :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Not to worry!

The 318is is a lighter and more minimalistic compared to the six cylinders, so it doesn't have as many safety features. For example the OBC panel equipped to 325's is missing.

We also don't have a sensor to monitor the brake fluid, which is located on the cap as shown on your's. It's likely someone just replaced the cap of yours at some point and it was easier to just chop the wires.

You could tidy it up a bit or even replace it with a sensor less counterpart, but it doesn't matter mechanically either way.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
        Not to worry!

The 318is is a lighter and more minimalistic compared to the six cylinders, so it doesn't have as many safety features. For example the OBC panel equipped to 325's is missing.

We also don't have a sensor to monitor the brake fluid, which is located on the cap as shown on your's. It's likely someone just replaced the cap of yours at some point and it was easier to just chop the wires.

You could tidy it up a bit or even replace it with a sensor less counterpart, but it doesn't matter mechanically either way.

Good luck!

Lol I was about to send this guy on a hunt, didn't see the 318i. I was wondering why he was looking for an entire harness
        Originally posted by wholepailofwater
        Q
        :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
          Lol I was about to send this guy on a hunt, didn't see the 318i. I was wondering why he was looking for an entire harness
          Hahaha, it is odd though, and I'm kind of doubting myself, mine has the wired cap even though it doesn't have a fluid check light?

Comment

Yes there is a brake fluid warning indicator - it's in the instrument cluster.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt responses guys! Keep 'em coming! I have been morroring my posts over at m42Club and getting nothing but crickets. Glad to know there is an active community over here :)

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
              Not to worry!

Good luck!
              But...there are corresponding wires leading into the fuse box. Clearly the cap is wired to something, no? And vpilarrt makes a good point - there is a "Brake Fluid" warning light on the instrument cluster.

So I seem back at square one: chewed wires, yet no warning light on the cluster. Anyone think I should just call the dealership and ask if they have this specific wire on hand?

Comment

Originally posted by BHT2109 View Post
                Thanks for the prompt responses guys! Keep 'em coming! I have been morroring my posts over at m42Club and getting nothing but crickets. Glad to know there is an active community over here :)

But...there are corresponding wires leading into the fuse box. Clearly the cap is wired to something, no? And vpilarrt makes a good point - there is a "Brake Fluid" warning light on the instrument cluster.

So I seem back at square one: chewed wires, yet no warning light on the cluster. Anyone think I should just call the dealership and ask if they have this specific wire on hand?
                Oh interesting, mine doesn't have a break fluid warning light. Are you sure you aren't looking at the brake pad light?

Comment

Working...
                X