Multi-link via trunk cage: stealthing it in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi-link via trunk cage: stealthing it in

I know the question of transplanting the e36 rear setup into an e30 has been beat to death, and the way people usually do it is by transplanting the whole floor pan from an e36/46 into the rear of the e30.

I have read me room though, that it could be possible to slip pickups for multi-link into a cage built into the car. Is this a possibility? I know with enough time and money anything is possible, but is this a fair alternative to putting in the full floorpan? It could also allow for some triangulation between the dungeon and shock towers. I have access to a full rear suspension from a e36 sedan for free.

The kicker is I don't want a cabin cage. I want the car to keep a mostly stock look in the interior. So as I know nothing about roll cages, is it possible to just build a cage into the trunk that could pick up the mounts for the taller multi-link? It isn't a daily, obviously, so I don't much care if the trunk loses a ton of space and function. I've thought about going to a fiberglass rear lid anyhow.

E36 rear end into an e30 would be a stupid amount of effort. Locating and grafting RTAB pockets onto the body sounds like a nightmare. I don't know why people even bother to talk about it other than to tell people to put down the grinder.

E90 would be the way to go if you were really looking into doing something like this because it's pretty much self contained, and has been done at least once (that V10 widebody M3 comes to mind)

I think that's the easiest solution by far, but even then I think the trunk floor needs to come up, and at least one cross member would need to be added.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
    X