Illumination wire -- not rheostat controlled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Illumination wire -- not rheostat controlled

My new Innovate gauges so to not use an illumination cable that is controlled by the rheostat (variable headlight switch), as it would cause the gauge to malfunction. They suggest using a wire that just has power to it when the headlights are on. Does such a wire exist under the dash, or would I have to run something from the engine bay?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Why not the radio power wire?
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Radio power would work for 12v switched to power on the gauge. I am talking about the dimmer function of the gauge. The instructions say that a variable current wire won't be suitable, it either needs to be unpowered when the headlights are off (full brightness) or on when the headlights are on (dimmed).

RISING EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
        Radio power would work for 12v switched to power on the gauge. I am talking about the dimmer function of the gauge. The instructions say that a variable current wire won't be suitable, it either needs to be unpowered when the headlights are off (full brightness) or on when the headlights are on (dimmed).
        You can find that wire at the headlight switch. 0 volts when no headlights, 12v+ when headlights are switched. its the same wire that triggers the headlight relays. Look in the ETM for wire colors or probe it in the switch yourself.
        Owner - Bavarian Restoration
        BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
        www.BavRest.com
        My Feedback Thread
        Our Facebook!
        Follow our Instagram!

Comment

I would pull from parking lights

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

Just to update this, the radio wiring harness illumination cable did not seem to be controlled by the rheostat when I tested it. The voltage was constant as you dimmed or brightened the interior lights from the switch panel. So, it worked for the illumination function on my gauges.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
              My new Innovate gauges so to not use an illumination cable that is controlled by the rheostat (variable headlight switch), as it would cause the gauge to malfunction. They suggest using a wire that just has power to it when the headlights are on. Does such a wire exist under the dash, or would I have to run something from the engine bay?
              The parking light circuit is what they are referring to - available at the switch, since they can't do the correct input for a real illumination wire. And many people (including the "innovate e30") guys get caught up by the dash light circuit. It's a common issue. That's mistaking the dash light for ground (as it will seem to be 0 volts). Then you blow the dimmer, and maybe even the OBC and radio.
              Originally posted by Matt-B
              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
              X