Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
    Basic basic lift question for you plane guys -

On a smallish plane, like the Mustang, or a Cessna (or big I guess), does the horizontal stabilizer push up, or push down in flight, or is it just neutral and the elevators provide pitch control? Does the wing do all the lifting, or is the horizontal stabilizer helping?

Are all traditional layout planes the same there?
    It generates downforce to oppose the moment generated by the wing lift around the center of gravity. That layout has become traditional because it also implies positive stability, if you speed up the nose has the tendency to pitch up, maintaining the speed and the other way around when you pitch down.

We also try to load our planes (737, but basically all transport aircraft) with an aft center of gravity, since it reduces the moment arm of the wing and therefor reduces the needed downforce from the tailplane, reducing drag and fuel consumption.

Comment

For the first time in 50 years, two B29s in the sky together.
      Fifi and Doc, Oshkosh 2017.

Will
      '59 Alfa Romeo 101.02 Giulietta Sprint
      '69 Alfa Romeo 105.51 1750 GTV (R.I.P)
      '69 Datsun 2000 roadster Vintage race car
      '88 BMW M3

Comment

Originally posted by tttoon View Post
        We also try to load our planes (737, but basically all transport aircraft) with an aft center of gravity, since it reduces the moment arm of the wing and therefor reduces the needed downforce from the tailplane, reducing drag and fuel consumption.
        Interesting - thanks!

Will - that's a lotta fricking aluminum polish.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post

Will - that's a lotta fricking aluminum polish.
          Yeah just a little bit. Doc is the only one that is polished however. Fifi is painted silver. I have to admit, the polished aluminum looks fantastic.

Will
          '88 BMW M3

Comment

just imagine the fuel those things guzzle. i am pretty sure that monster burns around 400 gallons an hour total. depending on where you buy it, avgas can cost over 4 bucks a gallon.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Sorry if this is a repost, though I admittedly haven't read this entire thread.

I found this article recently and thought it had lots of interesting info:

Turbulence: spiller of coffee, jostler of luggage, filler of barf bags, rattler of nerves. But is it a crasher of planes? Judging by the reactions of many airline passengers, one would assume so; turbulence is far and away the number one concern of anxious flyers. Intuitively, this makes sense. Everybody who steps on a plane […]
              Originally posted by kronus
              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                just imagine the fuel those things guzzle. i am pretty sure that monster burns around 400 gallons an hour total. depending on where you buy it, avgas can cost over 4 bucks a gallon.

100LL at my airport is $5.50 then $5.60 for Jet A.

Also fun news: finally getting close to completing my private. Just need solo cross country and night flying. Going to take the FAA written next week sometime and then final checkride shortly after. It's crazy because it feels like just yesterday when I started even though it's been a solid couple months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatM20Guy View Post

Also fun news: finally getting close to completing my private. Just need solo cross country and night flying. Going to take the FAA written next week sometime and then final checkride shortly after. It's crazy because it feels like just yesterday when I started even though it's been a solid couple months

fantastic! as i mentioned before, the best way to do it is to blast through as quick as possible. that way you aren't wasting time knocking off the rust. godspeed!

the airbus 320 holds up to 186 people. at 37,000 feet it burns about 870 gallons of jet a an hour. i think the last time i checked, we pay about 1.30-1.40 a gallon.

the new a320 neo burns around 700 gallons an hour under the same conditions. this means that by only putting on a more efficient engine, the airplane is good for about 6+ hours of flying instead of a little better than 5. it really is a huge savings. it probably doesn't make a lot of difference when we pay less than 1.50/gal for fuel, but when it goes back to 3.00, that savings will be a game changer.
                  sigpic
                  Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ThatM20Guy View Post

Congrats. Do you fly out of the downtown airport? OP on 135th?

I know next to nothing about planes/flying, but this thread is just cool.

Current Car: 2011 BMW 135i, M-Sport, 6 speed

Originally posted by lambo
                    Sounds like you need a massage.
                    Originally posted by kpeng
                    Who the hell is Vlad?

Comment

Official Aviation Thread...

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                      fantastic! as i mentioned before, the best way to do it is to blast through as quick as possible. that way you aren't wasting time knocking off the rust. godspeed!

Thanks man! Going to go on a 3hr night flight/cross country this weekend with my favorite instructor so that should be fun. That will get all my instrument/nightflying/cross country that I have left to do knocked out. Then I have 2 more hours to fly solo and that's it. Getting pretty excited!

I definitely had some of the knocking the rust off around solo. I'd fly 3 hrs that week and then be ready for solo, then weather would say up yours, and then I would leave for a trip. I'm about 7 hrs more than I should be just because of weather pushing back the solo, which is frustrating because that's basically $1400 down the toilet :/

Originally posted by Joe G View Post
                      Congrats. Do you fly out of the downtown airport? OP on 135th?

I know next to nothing about planes/flying, but this thread is just cool.

Thanks! I fly out of Johnson County Executive so 151st and Pflumm.

You should go up for a flight in a small airplane. Really fun and a totally different experience than airliners. The list of friends that want to go up with me is ever growing :D

89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                      I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

I've been around airplanes my whole life. For a good 15 years, my dad was a partner in a 1958 Cessna 175, N7177M. We flew all over the west coast in it. We took it from Northern California to Santa Monica, and many times up to see my grandparents in Canada. The last time I got to fly in it was 1994. Shortly thereafter my parents moved and so the share in 77M was sold.

While having a conversation with a friend this evening, I had the idea to look up the serial number of 77M to see how early it was. I found 20 listings for 175s on the FAA registry that were older than 77M. Most were never issued airworthiness certificates and were struck from the FAA registry early on. A handful were exported, 3 to South America, 1 to Kenya, 1 to South Africa, 1 to Germany, and 2 to Canada. From what I can tell, 77M is the earliest 175 in the FAA registry. It could very well be the earliest 175 in existence. How cool is that? I grew up sitting in the co-pilots seat of the earliest known example of a type of plane. To this day the plane is mostly original, still wearing its original paint, with the original interior.

If I won the lottery, I'd try to buy the current ownership out, restore it and take it to Oshkosh.

Will
                        '88 BMW M3

Comment

Got news last week that I'm going to get to fly on this tubby guy. I'm starting the typerating in less than a month, but I'm more nervous about that I'll have to fly two types after, 737NG (and MAX in a few months) mixed with 787 flights, since we only have one 787 for the moment, with the second one coming early next year. Pretty cool I'll be crossing the Atlantic soon!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                            If I won the lottery, I'd try to buy the current ownership out, restore it and take it to Oshkosh.
                            That's kinda awesome! You just have to hope the current owner will take good care till you can buy her.
                            Originally posted by Matt-B
                            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by BlackbirdM3 View Post
                              I've been around airplanes my whole life. For a good 15 years, my dad was a partner in a 1958 Cessna 175, N7177M. We flew all over the west coast in it. We took it from Northern California to Santa Monica, and many times up to see my grandparents in Canada. The last time I got to fly in it was 1994. Shortly thereafter my parents moved and so the share in 77M was sold.

While having a conversation with a friend this evening, I had the idea to look up the serial number of 77M to see how early it was. I found 20 listings for 175s on the FAA registry that were older than 77M. Most were never issued airworthiness certificates and were struck from the FAA registry early on. A handful were exported, 3 to South America, 1 to Kenya, 1 to South Africa, 1 to Germany, and 2 to Canada. From what I can tell, 77M is the earliest 175 in the FAA registry. It could very well be the earliest 175 in existence. How cool is that? I grew up sitting in the co-pilots seat of the earliest known example of a type of plane. To this day the plane is mostly original, still wearing its original paint, with the original interior.

Will
                              That's definitely an early one with the square tail and all. Pretty tough to tell the difference between this model and a 172.

Speaking of lottery pipe dreams, one of my co workers has a t28. The engine has 36 hours since rebuild. I told him I would take it off his hands as soon as I pick the right numbers. He's only asking 160k for it with a garmin avionics stack. seems like a hell of a deal in exchange for 1400 horsepower.
                              sigpic
                              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Trip to Guat City has insane amounts of vintage aircraft and corporate and private.
                                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Working...
                                X