R3v Weight loss thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
    I understand that my analogy was an oversimplification of the situation.

I agree with your points as far as processed food, and knowing what you're actually eating, sugar causing major health issues. I disagree with the organic argument, I have not read any research that persuades me that organic or GMO free is better for the body, I do agree with the keep dollars local argument however.

However, your proposed solution does not touch on the issue of losing weight being a product of burning more energy than one consumes. If I eat 4000 calories of organic local kale I'm still not going to lose weight.

I am asking for a BETTER method than counting calories and exercise. It is a fact that with counting calories in and out you can lose weight. It might not be the best method, because as you said it's not very precise, it's less efficient than it could be if we had more precise tools for measurement. But it does work.

Now, I could be mistaken, and you could be suggesting the counting of calories along with the items you outlined earlier
    Definitely. I hope my response to that did not come off as aggressive as that was not the intention.

Excellent that we have several points of agreement! I would certainly recommend looking into a compound called glyphosate (this is the active ingredient in Roundup, which is sprayed heavily on non-organic food).

Here is a link to a webpage discussing glyphosate and the organic/non-organic discussion.

From diet and sleep to recipes and coffee-making-tips, you'll find all the info you need to be your best self on the Bulletproof Blog.

As a quick note, from the article: the World Health Organization, in May of 2015 classified glyphosate as "probably carcinogenic to humans". While I understand this is probably not the concrete proof someone like yourself is looking for, I certainly avoid things that are even loosely related with being carcinogenic to my body.

I would really really like to see someone eat 4000 calories of kale. That would be mighty impressive! Though I still think you are missing the idea that calories are not all created equal. Your body does not react to 160 calories of Coca-Cola as it does to 160 calories of Almonds, for a variety of reasons (fiber, blood sugar/insulin response, etc.)

My routine above does not touch on the basis of weight loss explicitly, because it does not have to. I do not count calories, nor do I advocate that anyone else does either. (as a quick aside, that book I previously mentioned by Gary Taubes displays concrete evidence through serious analysis of a vast amount of medical information that counting calories and restricting them does not ALWAYS guarantee weight loss. If this is still a point of contention for you I would strongly recommend at least the cliff notes version of the book. Again, not to sound repetitive or aggravating, trying to treat the body as a simple system does not work.)

The routine I use restricts caloric intake through its very nature, but it does not require you to focus intently or even casually on how many calories your burger or your dinner or your breakfast has, because it is far less important than the ideology of the method itself. The weight loss is a byproduct of the routine, not the focus.

I hope my response answered your questions for you. If not, let me know!
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
      Definitely. I hope my response to that did not come off as aggressive as that was not the intention.

Excellent that we have several points of agreement! I would certainly recommend looking into a compound called glyphosate (this is the active ingredient in Roundup, which is sprayed heavily on non-organic food).

Here is a link to a webpage discussing glyphosate and the organic/non-organic discussion.

From diet and sleep to recipes and coffee-making-tips, you'll find all the info you need to be your best self on the Bulletproof Blog.

As a quick note, from the article: the World Health Organization, in May of 2015 classified glyphosate as "probably carcinogenic to humans". While I understand this is probably not the concrete proof someone like yourself is looking for, I certainly avoid things that are even loosely related with being carcinogenic to my body.

I would really really like to see someone eat 4000 calories of kale. That would be mighty impressive! Though I still think you are missing the idea that calories are not all created equal. Your body does not react to 160 calories of Coca-Cola as it does to 160 calories of Almonds, for a variety of reasons (fiber, blood sugar/insulin response, etc.)

My routine above does not touch on the basis of weight loss explicitly, because it does not have to. I do not count calories, nor do I advocate that anyone else does either. (as a quick aside, that book I previously mentioned by Gary Taubes displays concrete evidence through serious analysis of a vast amount of medical information that counting calories and restricting them does not ALWAYS guarantee weight loss. If this is still a point of contention for you I would strongly recommend at least the cliff notes version of the book. Again, not to sound repetitive or aggravating, trying to treat the body as a simple system does not work.)

The routine I use restricts caloric intake through its very nature, but it does not require you to focus intently or even casually on how many calories your burger or your dinner or your breakfast has, because it is far less important than the ideology of the method itself. The weight loss is a byproduct of the routine, not the focus.

I hope my response answered your questions for you. If not, let me know!
      I've not taken any of your comments as aggressive or in any way condescending. This is merely a friendly conversation the way I see it.

I'll definitely take a look at that information on organic food.

Obviously it would be a challenge to eat 4000 calories of kale! I can't eat even a single calorie of kale, let alone 4000 ;) I understand also that not every calorie is created the same, nor is it treated the same by the body. If it were than a diet that allows you to ingest as many calories as you wanted, such as a low carb diet, would not work.

My point is that there are many ways to go about this, as you stated, your prescribed method might not be right for everyone. I need the specific focus of what I'm eating every day, and counting calories allows me to do that. It has worked for a great deal of other people too.

There is plenty of evidence to support that you do not need to count calories to lose weight, and I am not disputing that. There is also evidence to support that keeping a food journal and counting calories works as well. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Comment

Originally posted by ST1G View Post
        I've not taken any of your comments as aggressive or in any way condescending. This is merely a friendly conversation the way I see it.

I'll definitely take a look at that information on organic food.

Obviously it would be a challenge to eat 4000 calories of kale! I can't eat even a single calorie of kale, let alone 4000 ;) I understand also that not every calorie is created the same, nor is it treated the same by the body. If it were than a diet that allows you to ingest as many calories as you wanted, such as a low carb diet, would not work.

My point is that there are many ways to go about this, as you stated, your prescribed method might not be right for everyone. I need the specific focus of what I'm eating every day, and counting calories allows me to do that. It has worked for a great deal of other people too.

There is plenty of evidence to support that you do not need to count calories to lose weight, and I am not disputing that. There is also evidence to support that keeping a food journal and counting calories works as well. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
        I agree wholeheartedly and I'm glad we came to myriad points of agreement!

I will admit that I know far too little to make any judgment calls for anyone else that is trying to figure out what to do to lose weight/maintain their bodies in as healthy a way as possible. I can merely highlight what has worked for me. There are definitely many ways to skin the cat!

Thanks for discussing this topic with me, as your points/topics have reminded me of many points that I have simply tossed to the side over time.
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          Just celebrated my one year wedding anniversary, Ive gained probably an additional ~10lbs and Im at my heaviest Ive ever been, which is in the 180s. Im only 5'6" so according to books, I should be like 130, but Ive never been 130. If I can get into the 160 range, I will be happy, but Ive always wanted to be 150. Trying to eat more veggies and fruit. Cutting down on fatty stuff, but damn I love chocolate and sweets. I tried to start exercising again, but re aggravated an old ankle injury and I cant do any kind of running for a little while. Sucks getting old (Turning 36 next week haha)

Same here. I'm 5'7" and have always been between 180 and 190. The books say should be around there but my dad who is same height as me is around 165-170 and pretty skinny. 130 would be a twig. Hopefully me stop smoking and more exercise gets me around 165-170 which would be my ideal weight.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Is it weird that I clicked on this thinking it was E30 weight reduction advice?

Comment

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
              Is it weird that I clicked on this thinking it was E30 weight reduction advice?
              well, if you think about it....it is. kind of.
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Dropped 10kg/22lb in the last 2 months by switching my cappuccinos to specialty filter coffee. It's amazing how many calories from drinks we can take in without even realising.

Comment

After having my weight creep up for years, and dealing with the death of my wife's parents over the last 5 years it is time to get back to normal.

I'm 6' and hit a high mark of 197lbs last March. Both my wife and I started basically a no/very low carb diet June 1st. I'm down to 180 and she's lost 18lbs. She's got a way to go as the issue with mom and dad was very tough. They were as close as a family can be.

I've got 7 more to my target weigh of 173, which would be the weight I was when i graduated high school. The proportions have changed however.
                  “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                  Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
                    After having my weight creep up for years, and dealing with the death of my wife's parents over the last 5 years it is time to get back to normal.

I'm 6' and hit a high mark of 197lbs last March. Both my wife and I started basically a no/very low carb diet June 1st. I'm down to 180 and she's lost 18lbs. She's got a way to go as the issue with mom and dad was very tough. They were as close as a family can be.

I've got 7 more to my target weigh of 173, which would be the weight I was when i graduated high school. The proportions have changed however.
                    197lb and 6' isn't very overweight. i'm 190lb and 6'. 34" waist isn't too bad, right? my ass still fits well in a sport seat. for my frame, i feel best at about 180. my wife and i have been doing orange theory together. i have to say that i am in a continuous state of soreness these days.

sorry to hear about your family loss. everything will get better in time.
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I'm 40 now, but 2yr ago wife and I went on a cruise for our anniversary in 2015. I tried to put my suit pants on and couldn't button them! She bought me a pair of dress shorts, size 32 as I have been wearing since 1990, and I couldn't sit down with the button closed. I am ~5'4", medium to healthy build and peaked at 168lb. She had to exchange the shorts for 34's. I was beside myself. Looking back at the pics, a large tee shirt was snug on the belly :/

After the cruise, I stopped drinking beer as alcohol of choice (2-3x wk) - went to Coke Zero as a mixer, then just no mixer and having a good glass of top shelf liquor (same 2-3x/wk). Stopped fast food for the most part, when eating lunch out, started using small diners and eating fresh/smart food - amazingly you can spend less for higher quality/quantity foods. After just 2 mos, I dropped 25lb to be at 142. Stopped soda (once in a blue moon), dropped another 15lb to be at 127 (a bit too thin, but the cut was strong). With a 42" chest and Ok muscle mass, 6-pack abs instead of carrying one - didn't look that tight since wrestling in HS!

Fast FWD to early 2016. Started making Cuban coffee instead of regular Joe, probably too many daily and weight started to go back up (heavy cane sugar). Slowed that way down as I was back in the mid/high 140's, couple times a week now for most of this yr and have stabilized in low/mid 130's. Didn't realize how much healthy eating helps energy, focus, and general well being. This summer is unusually hot down here in SFL this year, couldn't imagine having another 20% of useless body to lug around the shop.

Originally posted by Hooffenstein HD View Post
                      Dropped 10kg/22lb in the last 2 months by switching my cappuccinos to specialty filter coffee. It's amazing how many calories from drinks we can take in without even realising.
                      Was JUST looking at a drink fountain chart and couldn't believe the calories in them (some had 400+!!!). I had a water. :/

Soda, heavy sugared coffee, even sport drinks. Customer brought me a Gatorade, drank the whole liter before realizing it was 2 servings at 21g of sugar each! That's more than a 12oz can of dark soda.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        Was JUST looking at a drink fountain chart and couldn't believe the calories in them (some had 400+!!!). I had a water. :/
                        They can trick you by being a small container, you think its a single serve but look at the information and its multiple serves of high carbs/calories. Water or filter coffee is all I drink now.

All my life I was a fat sack of crap, ~100kg at 5 foot 8 and after my partner and I moved in together we both gained some weight. Felt like I was literally dying, had a range of symptoms but most chronic would have been the never ending gastro oesophageal reflux. Doctors couldn't find anything wrong with me but actually seeing 112KG on the scales was a wake up call. Downloaded the MFP app, tracked my calories and lost 32KG, down to a much more reasonable 80kg. Lighter than I ever remember being. According to BMI calculators that's still over weight, however, I've got a stocky build and quite a bit of muscle on me.

Recently I noticed my shirts were getting a little tight. Sure enough, I'd gained 10KG. I attribute that mostly to being time poor leading up to and after having our son and eating out too much. Meals at cafes/pubs/restaurants tend to be a lot of food, way more than necessary.

So I guess that 10KG I just lost wasn't true weight loss, just re-losing what I had gained over the past 6 months to a year.

TLDR. Don't eat out too often. Or at least be aware of how much food you're actually eating.
                        Be aware of the calories you're drinking too.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
                          sorry to hear about your family loss. everything will get better in time.
                          Thanks. Already is better. We were going to their assisted living place every day and spending lots of time/energy for about 3 years. Going home after to cook healthy wasn't in the cards. Ice cream was LOL.

We realized about 6 months ago we are probably in the clear for a while so it's time to get serious. I already feel way better, better energy, more flexibility etc.
                          And the dieting is changing my relation to food which is good. Just hit 179 which makes my 36" pants/shorts loose.
                          “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

This was about my heaviest, I'd say around 250-280. I didn't weight myself until after I started running.

The most recent pic(glam shit for our website)
                            Down to 170.
                            Went from a size 40 pants to 32.
                            First half was running a lot and lifting. Second half was paleo. If I was doing both at the same time it would have been faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            WTB:m60b40 in PNW
                            Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                            92 525it 5 speed.
                            80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Working...
                            X