another driveshaft vibration thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another driveshaft vibration thread...

So, at this point I feel like ive checked everything. 91 325i auto. has bad vibration at low speeds, 15-25 mph and worse at accel thru those speeds. no vibration, and drives perfectly smooth at highway speeds. Definitely feels like its in the driveline. All wheel bearings are good, trans crossmember is good, trans mounts are almost new, guibo is in great shape, CSB spins freely with no damage to rubber, just replaced spline clamp after old one was rotten (thought that would fix it but didn't). flanges on diff and trans are in good shape. Im stumped here . Not sure if the driveshaft needs to be balanced or not, I marked it before I took it apart. Hoping someone else has some experience here because im out of options other than getting it rebalanced, but before I spent the money on that I wanted to make sure.
    Last edited by TheWipprSnappr; 03-15-2016, 08:24 AM.
    1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
    1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
    E30 = Lego for men.

Did you find the white marks that the factory made to show alignment of the halves?

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

no I didn't see any. the rear half was pretty scarred near the opening

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

15-25 seems low for driveshaft...

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
          15-25 seems low for driveshaft...

t
          its probably closer to 25

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWipprSnappr View Post
            So, at this point I feel like ive checked everything. 91 325i auto. has bad vibration at low speeds, 15-25 mph and worse at accel thru those speeds. no vibration, and drives perfectly smooth at highway speeds. Definitely feels like its in the driveline. All wheel bearings are good, trans crossmember is good, trans mounts are almost new, guibo is in great shape, CSB spins freely with no damage to rubber, just replaced spline clamp after old one was rotten (thought that would fix it but didn't). flanges on diff and trans are in good shape. Im stumped here . Not sure if the driveshaft needs to be balanced or not, I marked it before I took it apart. Hoping someone else has some experience here because im out of options other than getting it rebalanced, but before I spent the money on that I wanted to make sure.
            Was this problem ever solved?I am having the same symptoms with my 87 auto transmission.

Comment

The descriptions cited above suggest binding u-joints in the drive shaft. The fix is to replace the drive shaft with a quality rebuilt.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I dropped the rear exhaust ,heat shields and trans mount bracket ,no parts on the driveline system have ever been replaced ,they are all marked with the birthdate of my car ,the trans mounts looked cracked and very soft but they have no oil saturation on them .The csb looks dry and completely intact ,the two joints do not seem to have any play ,so I think the driveline will need to come completely out to check the u joints my car is and automatic with 100,000 original miles and there is no guibo ,only two u joints ,I was hoping to find broken trans mounts and or bad CSB.

Comment

The drive shaft will have to be off the car to check the u-joints.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Actually I did fix the problem, sorry I sort of forgot about this thread. The preload on the CSB had never been set (pulling it forward in the tunnel, and tightening it) so under load, it was a bit off balance and was able to feel it that certain speed range. Hope that makes sense and hope it helps

EDIT: here is the thread for it http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=45943
                    some people don't experience issues with this, others do.
                    Last edited by TheWipprSnappr; 06-15-2017, 08:32 AM.

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

I bought a used rebuilt driveshaft today with greasable ,replaceable joints ,I was lucky to find one with three u joints and no guibo for an automatic transmission.It will be interesting to see what the existing problem is with the old driveshaft ,I am hoping it will be a bad u joint.

Comment

Working...
                      X