• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
    Originally posted by Beemerfanatik
    Originally posted by Beemerfanatik
    No, it just uses the early-model CSB with the larger mounting plate, for 84-87.
    Does this apply to the rest of the driveshaft?
    I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that the bearing itself is the same for all driveshafts, it's just the mounting plate that's different.
    I'm drawing a blank. Is the mounting plate a seperate piece? When you buy a CSB from somewhere, does it come with it?
    Yeah, it's all once peice. What I'm referring to when I say "mounting plate" is the base of the CSB, where it mounts to the underside of the car itself.

Sorry if I confused you.
    Now I'm on the right track. When you said the CSB's were the same, but the mounting plates were different, you led me to believe you were speaking of two different pieces. What you were saying was that the CSB itself is the same for all, it's the actual mounting bracket attached to the CSB that differs between years :) All clear on that now.

Still doesn't clarify if I'm going to need an 86 ES specific piece or if it shares the earlier model piece...will bav or whoever know this when I ask?

Comment

There isn't an eS-specific CSB, you just need the one for the early model cars. There were only 2 variations, 84-87, and 88-91.

Comment

Did you set the preload on the rubber bushing? I'm sure "the man" did that, but still, that could cause it to vibrate. Also when you put the new bearing on the driveshaft did you beat the bearing on or the race?

Dumb me waisted a 30 dollar csb by hammering on the race instead of the bearing itself. Ive lived with the vibration for now, its minimal and only at 25mph, but sounds like the same deal your having. I also have one of those "late" csb (its for a 528e that we never installed, so i compared it with my new one) and i dont think the holes were even close to lining up.
        Old and improved:

Comment

He did preload the bushing, but since I'm not going to have him around for this install, how do you do it? I've never done one myself.

I'm going to purchase a new CSB, the correct one for the car, and install it next weekend. Will the vibration I've been getting for about the last week, and for this week until I get the new one in affect the balance of the driveshaft? I don't want to have to have it balanced.

Comment

Just pull the housing forward towards the transmission and tighten the bolts up. You'll see the bolt holes are slotted.

I dont know if there would be any ill effects on the driveshaft, since every time there is a driveline vibration my dad buys the whole driveshaft. Should be just fine though.
            Old and improved:

Comment

Hopefully the flexdisc should be okay as well, we replaced it with a brand new one when we did the job, so it should be fine. I still have the old one, and it was in great shape still, also. Probably didn't need to be replaced, but I bought it, so I figured I might as well use it.

Comment

Working...
              X