STIG ('89 E30 track car) Track Car Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STIG ('89 E30 track car) Track Car Video

We brought STIG ('89 E30 track car) out to Blackhawk Farms this past week for a perfect September track day. We ran it for the first time in the experienced run group. To no surprise the trusty original 200k+ mile M20 was a bit underpowered for the group! Getting the itch to do some "modifications" over the off season...

2007 Big Twin Turbo 335i + 1989 E30 Track Car

Great Video! Seems the C7 driver was inexperienced.
    sigpic
    Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

I am very happy with my s50 swap. Sometimes I think I should have gone with S54 swap, but probably it would've cost me twice the money I spent on S50 swap.

Nice video clip.
      1990 e30 325is S50 swap (NASA GTS2 race car)
      1990 e30 325is
      1988 e30 M3 S50 euro swap

Comment

Originally posted by vitiokas95 View Post
        I am very happy with my s50 swap. Sometimes I think I should have gone with S54 swap, but probably it would've cost me twice the money I spent on S50 swap.

Nice video clip.
        Kind of thinking along those lines as well. Of course forced induction is always an option on the M20 as well... Just so long as it remains reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Poorboyz View Post
          Great Video! Seems the C7 driver was inexperienced.
          The C7 driver definitely had room for improvement. I think he just lost his cool when I got on his bumper.

Comment

A few photos from our day at Blackhawk Farms...

And a couple of dirty STIG after a full day out at Autobahn
            Country Club...

Comment

I need real suspension so badly. Took the car out for a drive today and it's too low. I'm over the low thing at this point.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Originally posted by vitiokas95 View Post

Nice video clip.
                I notice that you're local. Would love to go for a ride sometime to see the difference between the M20 and your S50.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirdaft1 View Post
                  I notice that you're local. Would love to go for a ride sometime to see the difference between the M20 and your S50.
                  Yeah I am local. Unfortunately I don't have any track days planned for rest of the year. Will only be taking my e30 on the track next spring. Can't drive it on the road since I don't even have plates on it.
                  1990 e30 325is S50 swap (NASA GTS2 race car)
                  1990 e30 325is
                  1988 e30 M3 S50 euro swap

Comment

Looks like fun!

A small bit of advice?

Shooting video of yourself driving is always great to pick up on things you never noticed while behind the wheel. I immediately noticed a "different" hand placement technique. On sharper right corners, you put your right hand at 12:00 and yanks hard down to 3:00 then modulates the corner from there. Blackhawk farms doesn't have sharp lefties, so it's hard to tell if this is normal for you or just a right turn habit.

With r-comps you are able to soak up a lot of slip angle (aka, get away with it), I bet with street tires, the car would not respond to such fast steering inputs. I'd also guess the outside of the left front wears harder than the other tires?

Might I suggest on your next visit to keep your hands at 9 & 3 for a session and see if you smooth out your turn in. I noticed a few other times where your right hand was down at 6:00 and you moved your left hand from 12:00ish to 3:00... This is an easy way to get crossed up when things go wrong.

Please don't take this as "YOU MUST KEEP YOUR HANDS AT 9 & 3 AT ALL TIMES!!!" rather locking your hands at 9 & 3 for a session or two as an exercise technique. I do both the shuffle steer and the 9 & 3 hand position depending on the corner.
                    My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Sweet video. Love the car too.
                      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                      X