Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well That Escalated Quickly

Hi,

I have a early 88 325is that had the diving board bumpers. I have a line on a set of plastic bumpers from a parts car and was wondering if I need to strip anything else from the parts car for the swap to work? Also what a fair price for the plastic bumpers is.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Last edited by tiger_e30; 04-07-2018, 08:18 AM.

Search for a thread called "bumpers bumpers bumpers".

It all is there.

IIRC, your swap at the rear will not be simple. Home page will have a link to the Tech page with a write 5yp, too.
    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. Looking over that article it says if its a 88 or newer it should just be plug and play or am I missing something?

Comment

you need the brackets and shocks with the bumpers. everything is plug and play.

Comment

On the 88' 325is that I put plastic bumpers on, the rear tail panel/trunk had holes from where the diving board bumper shrouds mounted too. The plastic bumpers don't use those holes in the trunk, so it's probably a good idea to pop a grommet into those holes or place a dab of rtv to keep any moisture out.

Plastic bumpers should look nice :)

Comment

I did the swap on my '88 a year or two ago. I needed brackets and shocks. I also recall that the turn signal plug was different and a new one needed to be spliced in. I think that was it though.

Comment

Ok great thank you! Is 300 for both bumpers fair?

Comment

mtech325 thanks for the tip I will def do that. Sert thanks for the heads up on the turn signal

Comment

Decent condition for 300, all in, is a good deal.

Comment

I was able to get the bumpers but unable to get the shocks. Is it possible to drill and compress the diving board bumper shocks to get the plastic bumpers to fit?

Comment

Originally posted by tiger_e30 View Post
                      I was able to get the bumpers but unable to get the shocks. Is it possible to drill and compress the diving board bumper shocks to get the plastic bumpers to fit?
                      Dont do that, the 88s have a special set of bumper shocks, sell those and buy the correct ones for your car. They are out there.
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I don't think they connect the same way anyhow

At any rate, get the right ones.

Comment

Yeah your right I need to do it correctly. How much/ who would want 88 bumper shocks? What should I pay for a set of bumper shocks front and back for the plastic bumpers?

Comment

No junk yards around? Get on eBay if no local support.

Comment

Got some off craiglist coming. Looks like all in I will be at 350. I'll post some before and after pictures

Comment

Working...
                              X