Feeler: 1989 M3 w/S52

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feeler: 1989 M3 w/S52

My dad is going to kill me, but my wife will love me.

Bought the car as rolling shell a couple of years back as it was previously S54 swapped and running condition by Chase. Decided to do the S52 swap as locating a S14 was getting harder to find in the South. I felt that this car was a solid starting point to put together and build up into a daily driver to keep for a long time. With moving to another state, and not having the space/time to finish it may be time to part ways with it. All my buddies tell me to keep it and finish it, so I am still on fence about this. It is more of nice nudge from the wife to do something with it. Mileage on the car (body) is around 123,700.

Exterior: History on this car was that it was issued a rebuilt title in IL because of a front end impact. The two front fenders are DOT-R. The frame and Alignment of this vehicle is STRAIGHT. I would not have bought this vehicle if it was a bent frame. During it time in Virginia, it received a clean title, as I now own a clean GA title for it. It does has issues as you will be able to tell. Rust issues are the rear tag lights, sunroof panel, and near the header heat shield. The paint of the car is 5/10, as I wanted to do a full respray on the car. The rear wing is cracking as water usually sits in that area. The bumper need a full realignment. Also on the passenger side door has a gouge in the paint caused previous owner mishap of loading it on a trailer.

Interior: I bought the car with no seats. I kept missing out on deals for the rear seat. I just placed on Recaros in for the time being to drive. The dash is complete and does not have any cracks. The sunroof is worked one time, but I have not messed with it since that one time. Door panel are in very good shape.

Engine: I bought the 1997 S52 engine from RobertK in Tenn with trans. I can not remember the actual mileage but it was low. Just did a compression test with all cylinders around 195-200. I literally replaced everything other than the head/pistons. Its currently running OBD1 right now, with everything replaced. I have a total of $7,000 in the swap alone. Stupid right!!. Transmission is also from the same engine with all new internals (clutch, flywheel, pins). Bought a brand new tank with Walbro pump. New lines through out. Since doing the swap, I think I logged about 500 miles on it. It has a new 318 rad with electric fan, which I want to replace with a E36 unit. We built a single 3' exhaust with borla center and vibrant end.

Suspension: Treehouse racing control arm bushings with Lemfoerder control arms. I installed GC Coils with Camber plates for all corners. Its has the notorious knocking sound coming from bearing in the camber plates. I think it only has about 100 miles on the suspension. Stainless brake lines with new fluid.

The M3 is located in Dallas, TX. It is in running condition as I took it for drive after having some more work done to it. The BBS RS wheels will not come with the car as they are for the E9. I have a lot of time and money invested in this car. Just recently spent $4,000 at spec Motorsports to get it roadworthy for the hot Texas heat and upgrade the cooling system.

$20k obo

Patrick (912)2two0-27nine2

Last edited by pwagon717; 06-23-2015, 01:57 PM.
    _________

Rep Savannah Crew

price?
    Instagram
    sigpic
    Current: 99 M3
    Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Floor drains look pretty rusty, I'm guessing you've got some wet carpet as those tend to go from the inside out. I'd make sure to check the floors under the carpet and front footwells/firewall on this car for rust. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by BobombETA View Post
        price?
        20K ..........20 F'ing K!! Lmao
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
        IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Originally posted by getouth View Post
          20K ..........20 F'ing K!! Lmao
          It wasn't posted in the original ad... But I'm guessing you're being critical of the price, not me :p
          Instagram
          sigpic
          Current: 99 M3
          Past: 84 325e, 84 528e

Comment

Seeing as how people are asking $20k for an E30 M3 rolling chassis and $10-12k for a standard E30 thats been S50'd I'd say $20k is probably about right for this car if it checks out mechanically.
            If it was in excellent condition, which the new owner could certainly get it to that point, it would likely be listed closer to $30k in this market.
            '91 318is, S50 swap, Bilsteing/H&R race, Recaro SRD, etc.

Comment

yeah those floorpans look like they're gonna need some work. it's always twice as bad as it looks once you dig in too..

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
              IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

Originally posted by madsedan View Post
                Seeing as how people are asking $20k for an E30 M3 rolling chassis and $10-12k for a standard E30 thats been S50'd I'd say $20k is probably about right for this car if it checks out mechanically.
                If it was in excellent condition, which the new owner could certainly get it to that point, it would likely be listed closer to $30k in this market.

Thats about right. Especially that I only saw two cars being bought by real people, all others went to flippers who put 10k+ higher price sticker and push them further. Not that it is something wrong with it but I just can't wait to see how this big bubble blows out eventually and people stay with their rusted or far-away-from-perfect cars while less money would bring you better car in every possible way.
                Last edited by oliwer78; 06-29-2015, 05:16 AM.

Comment

At this point of the mkt it's worth converting a regular one to a M3 if the looks it's what you are looking for.
                  sigpic
                  323i MTEC1
                  Z3 coupe
                  E60 M5

Comment

Working...
                  X