Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come stuff like this is not on fox news?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rhE-30 View Post
    I didn't really, but seeing as there is a natural gas line to almost every home in the United States... Regardless, the XL pipeline is an extension to according to you to an already deteriorating system. Does that mean the deteriorating system will still be in place? Will it be removed? Recycled? Maintained?
    Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
    Yes its a a know fact that Welspun had some bad pipe a while back, and thats why every pipe in the ground is tracked with a heat number (to track its batch of steel and manufacturer) from mill to final instillation point. If the heat number is lost or a partial joint is used and the heat is not transferred to the unused portion. Well you cant use that portion of pipe in the line.

Transcanada and Welspun know what heat numbers are in that line and where each joint of pipe out of those batches lies to with in millimeters. They know where they may have bad pipe. While expanding pipe is generally a bad thing, shippers occasionally do a spike test aka SMYS (specified minimum yield strength). Its a type of hydro test where you go to nearly 100% yield of the the pipe it self and stretch it and hold it at that pressure for a prescribed amount of time. then put the line back in service, so stretched pipe is not necessarily a bad thing, this is why the regulators have laxed the standard. Decades of data from spike tests on old stuff still in the ground .

While its good they have gone back and found anomalies, its not really the fault of the shipper, now is it, that was a foreign manufacture, and the QA/QC on their end. That and they are providing no details, it could be something as simple as a small dent from natural settlement and a rock under the pipe or in the padding materiel that was missed, or a bad weld fit up that the tool has found that was determined to be good when under construction. An anomaly is not necessarily a case of bad pipe or need to be replaced.
    Fix the problems with bad quality pipe.

Comment

^

bad pipe is a relative term in this case. Its not up too what was speced to be put in the line, but its still far superior to the the shit thats been in the ground for the last 30 years even when that was brand new.

We are talking about a few sections that MIGHT stretch out of max tolerance when pushed past 100% of yield strength, which is well above the designed MOP (max operating Pressure) of the line. There are several redundant systems built into the system to make sure MOP is never surpassed. So while that pipe should and will be replaced at some point, its not a serious threat to the integrity of the line for the foreseeable future
      Originally posted by Fusion
      If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
      The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
      William Pitt-

Comment

^

bad pipe is a relative term in this case. Its not up too what was speced to be put in the line, but its still far superior to the the shit thats been in the ground for the last 30 years even when that was brand new.

We are talking about a few sections that MIGHT stretch out of max tolerance when pushed past 100% of yield strength, which is well above the designed MOP (max operating Pressure) of the line. There are several redundant systems built into the system to make sure MOP is never surpassed. So while that pipe should and will be replaced at some point, its not a serious threat to the integrity of the line for the foreseeable future
        Well if it isn't shoddy pipe, then why so many spills?

Comment

lol anyone argueing with slevees is going to loose he obviously knows his shit in this field. I agree with Slevees 100%
          sigpic

Comment

^
            Thanks I just happen to build these things for a living and am responsible for weld integrity,

Heeter
            NONE of those were pipe or weld ruptures, they were fittings and bolted up assemblies. Again we need to be looking at the manufacturer of those and how they are letting this kinda shit slip though their QA/QC.

Also I like how we have listed 12 leaks, yet only 2 explained. What are we considering a spill here, 2 pints when some changes a gauge out, or a small drip where a flange bolt was a tad under torqued or something??? I have only herd about the 2 biggies.
            Last edited by mrsleeve; 10-15-2012, 08:49 PM.
            If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
            The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
            William Pitt-

Comment

none of those were NOT pipe or weld ruptures, they were fittings and bolted up assemblies. Again we need to be looking at the manufacturer of those and how they are letting this kinda shit slip though their QA/QC.

Also I like how we have listed 12 leaks, yet only 2 explained. What are we considering a spill here, 2 pints when some changes a gauge out or something??? I have only herd about the 2 biggies
              Ah, cool. Well as long as people ensure quality is on par, there shouldn't be a problem then? It's 2012, QA should be a given, not a question.

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
                lol anyone argueing with slevees is going to loose he obviously knows his shit in this field. I agree with Slevees 100%
                When you're right, you're right. See my GW posts for more examples of this............*snicker*

Comment

Sleeve, I respect the fact that your are an intelligent individual. But the fact that what humans build well never ever be 100% reliable, and the earth is not as stable as it appears to be (earthquakes, of which a big one is expected to occur) is enough of a reason that a new pipeline that carries substance that would contaminate a fresh water supply should not be built over a fresh water supply. You could yell and scream "my weld are the bees knees, it was the fittings and bolts" all you want, but the fact is that it will still someday fail. Nebraska, the deepest part of the High Plains aquifer, seems to be primarily avoided according to those maps, why not keep it that way, build a @$!&^$ pipeline somewhere else. Those who built the Titanic said there contraption would never fail either, and they sent so many to an early grave.

Cliff notes: Stupid plan.
                  Last edited by rhE-30; 10-17-2012, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Cliff notes: Stupid plan.
                    hey so like you are aware the OP link only had to do with the Texas extension, right? The one Obama approved.

Is there any good point about your original subject of the thread?? Or just give up and change subjects, or forgot what you were objecting to?

Comment

drivers fault
                      "I wanna see da boat movie"
                      "I got a tree on my house"

Comment

You're right, excuse me. The original intention was to discuss mainstream news media and are they to biased to be considered news? Am I making some type of sense though, or just rambling like a crazy old person?

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
                        hey so like you are aware the OP link only had to do with the Texas extension, right? The one Obama approved.

Is there any good point about your original subject of the thread?? Or just give up and change subjects, or forgot what you were objecting to?
                        Fox news hates black people *kanye*
                        Last edited by rhE-30; 10-17-2012, 01:48 PM.

Comment

You're right, excuse me. The original intention was to discuss mainstream news media and are they to biased to be considered news? Am I making some type of sense though, or just rambling like a crazy old person?

Fox news hates black people *kanye*
                          The thread's first post didn't really show that. It showed that you were naive about eminent domain.

You might want to say "too biased" as using the incorrect form of words makes you seem less intelligent. Same with trying to quote something Kanye said.

You're just rambling like a crazy kid. If you want to make any valid points, try looking for good data to back it up: http://www.people-press.org/subjects/media-bias/

Overview The public’s assessment of the accuracy of news stories is now at its lowest level in more than two decades of Pew Research surveys, and

Press Accuracy Rating Hits Two Decade Low

Overview Negative opinions about the performance of news organizations now equal or surpass all-time highs on nine of 12 core measures the Pew Research

Overview For the second time in a decade, the believability ratings for major news organizations have suffered broad-based declines. In the new survey,

Instead of focusing on one story that shows you don't know constitutional law like the protestors are also lacking, focus on hard data that demonstrates people don't think that the news is credible or fair anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post
                            While the 0 man held a press conference in front of a Rack of pipe in OK a few months back it was all for show, to try and convince the idiots out there that he had something to do with getting the XL build. The only reason he and Billery have any authority over the matter at all is the fact that the XL will cross an international boundary. The feds have to grant the cross boarder permit, so in essence we have a 1700 some odd mile US section pipe line held up over a 200 foot section worth of permitting. Yes the Fed DOT has jurisdiction over the regulation of the XL and any high pressure pipeline that is interstate, they cant deny FERC permits if the purposed line meets all the regulation requirements and a need for the capacity is shown with commitments from producers needing product shipped.

The entire line can be built with out the O man being able to do shit about it, OTHER than the 200 feet of cross boarder permitting.

Originally posted by rhE-30
                            Sleeve, I respect the fact that your are an intelligent individual
                            Really you do?? Then why are you not reading (or trying to digest and comprehend) anything I have been telling you?? This is how I make a living, Its something I know way more about than you will get from ANY news article other than from the trade newsletters which you have to be a member and pay for so thats out.

But the fact that what humans build well never ever be 100% reliable,
                            Really no shit, you dont say........................ But yet we still build shit every day, and will continue to do so until we go extinct. of course there is a risk, but like I tried to explain to you in my last post that fell on deaf ears, there is much greater risk leaving in service and running at 100% capacity the old and inferior line thats already there.

and the earth is not as stable as it appears to be (earthquakes, of which a big one is expected to occur) is enough of a reason that a new pipeline that carries substance that would contaminate a fresh water supply should not be built over a fresh water supply.
                            AGAIN if your so worried about the ogallala you should be flipping the fuck out, over whats already there. You know the 22,000 miles of high pressure transmission and gathering line that criss cross the fucking thing as it is now. You know the ones that the vast majority of which were built between the early 50's and mid 70's. you know the ones that are well past service life. What do you think is going to happen when your earth quake happens to all that???

When was the last big mid-continent quake ? Yeah the new madrid in 1812, is that you are saying we are due for?? Well just a little FYI, the XL would not even feel it let alone fail, from a event at that fault unless its MUCH MUCH larger than the 1812 event The rest of the country is not Like a CA and gets BIG quakes regularly, not to mention there is LOTS of pipelines that are in CA too, that have made it though all of the of big ones....

You could yell and scream "my weld are the bees knees, it was the fittings and bolts" all you want, but the fact is that it will still someday fail.
                            Yeah well your ignorance is showing again. What do you think goes on out there??? We just go to the hardware store and buy some pipe and sling it together and kick in a ditch throw a bunch of dirt on it an hope an pray it never comes apart. Not only no but FUCK NO!!!!!!! Every weld is made to a specific procedure, with only the spec-ed materials, you just dont go buy a box of any ol rod from home depot and run any machine settings you want. All of that is spec-ed out to preserve temper and minimize the heat affected zone and make strong weld. The welded areas are stronger than the line pipe.

Every weld is checked via X-ray or Ultrasonically, and held to a standard. Yes I LOOK THOUGH EVERY WELD MADE ON A JOB, so yeah I can say that those welds are the "bees knees" Not to mention the amount of construction oversight on the job there is an inspector for EVERYTHING to make sure is all done properly form clearing, to digging the ditch, to lay out, to welding, anti corrosion coating, back fill, restoration, environmental has it own DIVISION, and the list continues on and on. Then when its all put together we fill it full of water and pump it up to 110-125% of MOP (thats very very close to 100% of minimum yield strength of the pipe it self) and hold it there for 8-24 hours, any drop in pressure is a fail and leak that needs to be found. This is not some low budget, shady fly by night project, this is a 8 BILLION dollar job.

You ever work on your car?? ever have a lug nut or something else back of just a little bit after you put it into service once in a while, or get a substandard part from a outside manufacturer? If you say no you are either lying, have not gone back and checked shit periodically, or dont work on your car enough. Industry is subject to these same minor mishaps, no matter how stringent your QA/QC is every so often something slips by. Like you say everything is subject to failure, but again look at whats in the ground now!!! Its old and dying, and still delivering products every day.

You like to drive right, you like heat in your house (oh wait you live in CA, the rest of us like heat in the winter time) you like it when the light turns on when you flip the switch right. Well you can thank pipelines for all of that stuff, for with out them none of that would happen!!!!!

Nebraska, the deepest part of the High Plains aquifer, seems to be primarily avoided according to those maps, why not keep it that way, build a @$!&^$ pipeline somewhere else.
                            I have explained this already, but I will make it simple this time. The likelihood of a catastrophic failure that could not be cleaned up happening due to poor materials or workman's ship before the line lives out its service life and is decommissioned is fucking NILL

Those who built the Titanic said there contraption would never fail either, and they sent so many to an early grave.
                            Apples to tomatoes man.
                            Last edited by mrsleeve; 10-17-2012, 07:32 PM.

William Pitt-

Comment

While the 0 man held a press conference in front of a Rack of pipe in OK a few months back it was all for show, to try and convince the idiots out there that he had something to do with getting the XL build. The only reason he and Billery have any authority over the matter at all is the fact that the XL will cross an international boundary. The feds have to grant the cross boarder permit, so in essence we have a 1700 some odd mile US section pipe line held up over a 200 foot section worth of permitting. Yes the Fed DOT has jurisdiction over the regulation of the XL and any high pressure pipeline that is interstate, they cant deny FERC permits if the purposed line meets all the regulation requirements and a need for the capacity is shown with commitments from producers needing product shipped.

The entire line can be built with out the O man being able to do shit about it, OTHER than the 200 feet of cross boarder permitting.
                              Yeah, I was mostly pointing out the funny irony of all these environmentalists cheering on his blocking of the XL across Nebraska but then were sad that he then in show thumbing up the Texas line to prove he isn't anti-pipe - which is the section being protested in the OP's article. I'm aware, but nonetheless find it humorous that rhE-30 is changing subjects to the complete extension when Obama 'approved' of the Texas portion in question.

Comment

The State Department released its environment assessment of the Keystone XL pipeline on Friday. Melissa Block talks to Elizabeth Shogren.

Department's draft review says the pipeline from Canada will not affect global warming or harm aquifers it crosses. But it will create jobs and economic growth.

Comment

Working...
                                X