swapped e30 prices??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
    If you wanted serious money for it - get the dent above the tail light fixed BEFORE putting it on the market.

As a buyer nothing annoys me more than someone asking big money for a car that has 'minor issues' to fix.

If you're going to pay big, you don't then want to be getting dents fixed, or front seats re-upholstered etc.

Reality is there's many cars out there, at various price points depending on what you want.

I'm trying to get a handle on the market value of late model coupes. I'm currently collecting and would like to start buying/restoring/selling.

Would like to start a data base where sellers can compile information on cars they've sold, add details about condition and information on the car and log market value/sales of cars by VIN. Like a more in depth M-Registry that will allow owners to find comps for insurance purposes and to understand the value of their cars better based on real sales and information.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

heres an s52 swap for $15k, who's car is this <3
      '99 Aspen silver e39 540i/6 (first car, sold)
      '91 Schwarz e30 325i vert M50 swap(traded)
      '95 Arktis grau e34 530i 5 speed (4.0 swapped, sold)
      '01 Jet black e46 330ci 5 speed (traded)
      '98 Arctic silver e36 328i daily drifter (traded)
      '91 Nissan 240sx s13 hatch ka24de (driftbucket 4sale)
      '89 Bronzit e30 sedan (new project)

Comment

Originally posted by mmoyer11 View Post
        alright, lets play a game. Im going to describe an e30. You are going to tell me what you think it would bring in the current market:

142k schwartz 1990 coupe
        5 speed
        working odometer
        clean original paint, one small dent above driver side tail light
        flawless black sport interior
        crack free dash
        3.73 lsd
        refreshed rotors/pads/struts
        fresh fluids/hoses/timing belt
        5k?

Comment

Originally posted by mr. View Post
          5k?

That's what I was thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i agree i finally got my 318is after a year and a half of searching and now its just sitting in my drive cause broke college student lol

Comment

Originally posted by spike68 View Post
              There just isnt a figure out there that you're looking for. With the popularity of e30s it changes due to what I believe is perspective. Some would pay some serious cash for some of the most stock of the stock e30s out there because of their originality, but others will also pay tons of money for highly modified ones as well. It all depends on where your values are. I agree with both sides.

Id want to at least get some money back if I had a swapped e30. There is a positive value figure attached to that because it is sometimes viewed as a step forward kind of modification, but never expect all return even with detailed records.

I also wouldn't mind paying for a stock e30 because you will have much more piece of mind or better potential to focus on what you want to do with the car instead of having to worry about fixing someone else's mistakes.

See how easy it is for people to choose sides? And even people's values can overlap and show in the quality of the car thats being sold or bought. Thats part of what makes this market so wishy washy.

But also lucky some of us know our way around e30s enough to get some sweet deals. My daily is a $1900 late model with H&R and Billy suspension with upgraded sways along with rebuilt head and a few other goodies. It has goods and bads, but its been one of the most reliable cars ive been around. That sounds pretty valuable to me.

I got way off track, but my point is all these variables have come into play on these older cars that value is placed in different places. Dont get bent out of shape by a car that is priced way too high. There is probably someone out there looking to spend that kind of money. It doesnt mean you shouldnt take advantage of it. If you cant find a car that isnt in your price range, but sounds like it "should" be then just wait. I promise a good one will come around.
              1. you're got one sexy convertible.
              2. the reason I'm asking this question is my m42 is going to need a timing chain, the price for that is 500 with everything + labor off course. I found an m50 engine in good conditions for 600, including harness. found others at similar price.
              2. From my limited knowledge you don't get the money you spend on a car back. are you saying that there will be a return on "investment" to the work done to the car?

Comment

Originally posted by paulpoko21 View Post
                2. From my limited knowledge you don't get the money you spend on a car back. are you saying that there will be a return on "investment" to the work done to the car?
                lol that's very true, picked my vert up for $4500 and after my m20 blew ended up spending $750 for a complete M50, around $3-400 in 24v conversion parts, then $900 for a shop to complete the swap. And im struggling for any offers for $5k lol.
                '99 Aspen silver e39 540i/6 (first car, sold)
                '91 Schwarz e30 325i vert M50 swap(traded)
                '95 Arktis grau e34 530i 5 speed (4.0 swapped, sold)
                '01 Jet black e46 330ci 5 speed (traded)
                '98 Arctic silver e36 328i daily drifter (traded)
                '91 Nissan 240sx s13 hatch ka24de (driftbucket 4sale)
                '89 Bronzit e30 sedan (new project)

Comment

Originally posted by paulpoko21 View Post
                  1. you're got one sexy convertible.
                  2. the reason I'm asking this question is my m42 is going to need a timing chain, the price for that is 500 with everything + labor off course. I found an m50 engine in good conditions for 600, including harness. found others at similar price.
                  3. From my limited knowledge you don't get the money you spend on a car back. are you saying that there will be a return on "investment" to the work done to the car?
                  1. Thank you. I wish it still looked like that.

2. I see your point. Why maintain what most people consider an undesired engine (sorry, no offence to those who like the m42s) when you can buy a much more popular engine for around the same price? but lets dive into that a little more. I think we both know there is a larger amount of money that will have to be invested in a engine swap than just purchasing the engine so I dont consider them to be comparable. Now I will admit that doing an m50 swap is probably the best bang for the buck for swaps, but just like the m42 needs a timing chain so does the m50. Yes its cheaper, but to me it isnt by much. To close this point I also dont consider expensive maintenance like that to be much of a pain because its doing more than you think. Given the extended like the engine will be receiving its of course worth and it could also be a bigger selling point if you sold the car.

3. You are correct, but be sure to include the purchase price as well. Just because you purchased a car for a certain amount doesnt mean you should expect to get that back automatically. As far as work dont to the car, your invested money in purchasing parts is not a direct relation to the value of the car. Providing proof of those investments is also crucial. Proof helps justify a value, but it still doesnt constitute a 1:1 to selling value. In a perfect world that would be cool, but it just never turns out that way. That goes back to where a seller's or buyer's values are placed. I feel like maintenance makes more of an impact on selling value than aftermarket modifications because its a preventative thing as opposed to an attempt to make the car "better" in some cases.
                  I don't even own this car anymore, but I'm too lazy to change the picture.

Comment

If an e30 is properly maintained, you will never get your money back from owning it.

Comment

In the bay area a POS are selling for 2-3K...
                      5k are the clean stock ones that need some work...
                      7-10K are swaps at least that's what Im seeing on CL

.. but it looks like lately people have come back from the clouds and are coming down... or need the money.. hahah but as long as you're happy with your purchase that is the real reward, everybody will say they got their swapped mint condition car for 2-3K.. at least that what I think when they tell me that.. hahah:rippedoff:

Comment

Originally posted by e30strokr View Post
                        it looks like lately people have come back from the clouds and are coming down... or need the money
                        It's the kids who thought they could buy a beater and flip it for the kind of money good examples are bringing.

The values of well-maintained and/or well prepared cars are not going down.
                        Originally posted by kronus
                        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                          It's the kids who thought they could buy a beater and flip it for the kind of money good examples are bringing.

The values of well-maintained and/or well prepared cars are not going down.
                          Truth.

Comment

investments and e30 should never be used in a sentence unless that sentence is "e30s make poor investments"

I bought a shoddy swapped e30, but i was there at the right place at the right time and got it at the right price. The only real costs to getting the car right was time and patience.

Comment

Working...
                            X