Has my hood been painted?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has my hood been painted?

apparently last night my old roundels face flew off. When I popped the rest of the roundel off it looks like the grommets were painted. Is this a sign the hood has been painted? Any ideas on how to get the grommets out?

unrelated and could def be wrong, but in this pic, isn't there supposed to be a weld seam here between the two panels?

Hard to tell if the paint on the hood has been redone from the picture provided, but I believe paint on the grommets is a solid sign that someone has repainted the hood.

To remove them without damaging the paint too much I'd carefully cut around the perimeter of the grommet before tapping/pulling it out.

Comment

I'd put money on the hood was painted.

A weld seam? Not really, no...maybe some seal sealer puckering up from under the fender edge, but the fender def isn't welded to the car.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
        A weld seam? Not really, no...maybe some seal sealer puckering up from under the fender edge, but the fender def isn't welded to the car.
        Exactly, normally there is quite a glob of sealer most of the way up the fender line, and it is quite unusual to not see any. Undoubtedly BMW subscribed to the "bigger the glob, the better the job" mentality in the 80s/90s.

Do you still have a VIN sticker on the forward part (where the screws are) of the fender?

Comment

There's supposed to be a caulking type bead on that seam. Looks like your entire front clip was repainted.

Feedback!
          Custom Cup Holder Consoles!
          Calypso Story--S50/Shaved and Tucked Bay

Comment

sorry, yea not sure why i said weld seam, but goo seam or whatever. but yea the VIN stickers are there. matching numbers and all looks original. Weird part is even the underneath of the hood looks original. just the top of the hood was painted I think.

Comment

Working...
            X