Avoid Anchor brand engine/trans mounts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avoid Anchor brand engine/trans mounts!

Don't learn the hard way like me and waste $30 and your time!

A few months ago I purchased a couple of mounts for my Focus. One for the Trans, and one torque strut mount. I had replaced the hydraulic front mount myself for a whopping $199 from Ford. I chose this since there was lots of info on the net of people getting the cheaper Chinese one that ended up failing, or not working properly from the beginning.

I decided since the trans mount and torque strut mount is simply a rubber bushing, what could possibly go wrong? it's a rubber bushing...I'm sure the Chinese can't screw that up Boy was I wrong!

Anyway, the part number is Anchor 2939 for the torque strut mount. When I unboxed it and compared it to the original, the rubbed in the replacement was SOLID hard, with almost NO give whatsoever. It's housing was also alum, vs the stock Ford one where the rubber was soft and the housing was made of heavy gauge metal.

After I installed it, i instantly noticed a banging noise (like metal on metal ) when cranking and shutting down the car. There was also a more pronounced vibration at idle. I tried torquing it down, but that didn't help.

After a quick google search, I found some Amazon reviews:

Once I replaced the Anchor mount wiht the old one (which was in fine shape I just figured since I replaced the one, I might as well do the others) the noise went away and the vibration smoothed out.

Let this be a lesson to you, ONLY BUY OEM. There's a reason why Chinese stuff is cheap!
    Last edited by Stanley Rockafella; 10-07-2016, 09:12 AM.
    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

I thought this was an BMW forum? I guess we are doing Fords now too?

Comment

We dont' discriminate here on R3V

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
        We dont' discriminate here on R3V
        We just bash non-E30 posts to hell.

Comment

Sell the Ford and buy another E30. Bitch.(Am I doing it right?)

But seriously, good to know for when I get new mounts for the srt4. Thanks for the heads up!
          88 325i Cabrio
          04 Neon SRT-4

Originally posted by MrBurgundy
          If R3v was a dude, it would pick up a tinder date naked, with a raging boner, drunk, in an e30 with a shitty interior, a missing sunroof panel, explaining how its a classic while staring at the tinder date's tits.

Comment

Just an Fyi most of the parts store mounts (autozone, oreilly, advanced, etc) are made by anchor and rebranded.

Carry on with the Ford bashing.

-NICK

Comment

I liked my SVT Contour.

Comment

I just held in my hand some "Anchor" engine mounts for a '69 Caddy yesterday. They said made in Korea. So are they Luxo compared to the Chinese made ones?

Comment

Luxo?

Comment

Working...
                  X