Oil in coolant, am i screwed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil in coolant, am i screwed?

So I just bought an e36 328is off ebay. Gets here yesterday night at almost 11:00pm. It's dark and I'm trying to check the fluids before I drive home an hour away from the drop-off point. It looks like the coolant is VERY dark which has me concerned, and the oil level was VERY low, but it's so dark and freezing that I just top off the oil and get it home. Fortunately there aren't any issues.

I looked at it today in some proper day light and here's what I see:

I drained the radiator and used a little hand pump to empty reservoir into this bucket:

So, am I basically fucked? :rippedoff: That is an insane amount of oil, but the engine runs totally fine, temp gauge stays at half. There was very little condensation on the oil cap but there was some... Better to just install a new engine or replace the head gasket?
    My Feedback

Take the head off and go from there.

Comment

Looks like you got pretty screwed. Have you contacted the PO? For now the head is going to have to come off. Unless there is an obvious failure of the head gasket, id also have the head checked for cracks or warpage.

The Build:
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Before you go all crazy dismantling- do a compression test. The numbers will tell you if you got bad head gasket and then after that do coolant system pressure test. Those two can give you all your answers. And definitely contact the seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        sigpic
        323i MTEC1
        Z3 coupe
        E60 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Old city bimmer View Post
          Before you go all crazy dismantling- do a compression test. The numbers will tell you if you got bad head gasket and then after that do coolant system pressure test. Those two can give you all your answers. And definitely contact the seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I'm confused, if the oil isn't getting in via the head gasket, then where else could it mix? Sounds more like I should be worried that the head is warped?
          My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Old city bimmer View Post
            Coolant pressure test would be the way to go. There most likely is a crack or a failure in the head or head gasket between oil an coolant passages. If that is the case it has nothing to do with the combustion space and wouldnt show on a compression test or emit smoke out of tail pipe.

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
            I'm confused, if the oil isn't getting in via the head gasket, then where else could it mix? Sounds more like I should be worried that the head is warped?
            I suspect the HG first. I would also have the head checked while its off. The aluminum head is prone to problems like warping or cracking from overheating. Its rare for iron blocks to crack but that would also be a place where coolant can mix with oil.

The Build:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
              Take the head off and go from there.
              not efficient......lol

there is a test called "Leak Down" that is designed to let one know where the failure is without need to remove the cylinder head. It's actually ideal to do with the cylinder head on so one can listen for air escaping from intake or exhaust side

basically:

remove a spark plug
              turn engine to shut valves on that cylinder
              pump in pressurized air and see how much PSi the cylinder holds vs the static reference of the tool
              this might also show air in oil or coolant side; if there is a crack in the head / breach in HG it may show
              OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Ive been looking at this thinking to myself. There is so damned much oil and no coolant even looks like it mixed with it. Is it possible that some genius poured straight oil in the radiator?

Comment

Originally posted by mpowerful View Post
                  Ive been looking at this thinking to myself. There is so damned much oil and no coolant even looks like it mixed with it. Is it possible that some genius poured straight oil in the radiator?
                  This. thats an insane amount of oil in there.

Is it an automatic?

How dumb is the PO? On a scale of 1-10?

Do some testing before you yank the head. flush out the cooling system with water (As long as its still above 32 Degrees).

But oddly enough it looks like Used oil. SO its been through an engine at one point.
                  1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                  1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                  1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                  1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

PO for idiot of the year.
                    -1976 2002 daily (Sold)
                    -1986 528e 5 speed daily

Comment

WTF. I don't even.
                      '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Based on the fact that the oil level was so low I'm thinking the oil has been getting sucked into the cooling system and thus dropping the level. I'm guessing that would happen because the oil pressure is higher and will move to an area of low pressure? Seems like an engine 101 question that I should know, somebody please help me answer that. If I'm correct then should I worry about engine damage?

Whenever I get time I will definitely be flushing the system with some BMW coolant. Or, even though that's an easy diy thing, I'm actually thinking it will be smart to take it to a shop to have them do it, then perform all the tests and have it all documented. Regardless, I didn't pay with paypal and therefore have no buyer protection :(
                        My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                          Based on the fact that the oil level was so low I'm thinking the oil has been getting sucked into the cooling system and thus dropping the level. I'm guessing that would happen because the oil pressure is higher and will move to an area of low pressure? Seems like an engine 101 question that I should know, somebody please help me answer that. If I'm correct then should I worry about engine damage?

Whenever I get time I will definitely be flushing the system with some BMW coolant. Or, even though that's an easy diy thing, I'm actually thinking it will be smart to take it to a shop to have them do it, then perform all the tests and have it all documented. Regardless, I didn't pay with paypal and therefore have no buyer protection :(
                          2 words:

LEAKDOWN TEST
                          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Dirty oil? Unlikely. That oil is black. No way it was poured into the coolant reservoir.

Leakdown test, done properly, will tell you rings, valves (intake or exhaust), or head sealing. It won't tell you if your head is cracked or your block is cracked, as those would act like a HG failure.

Comment

Try a cooling system pressure check.
                              sigpic
                              Reich und Roll!

Comment

Working...
                              X