Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 91' e30 M50nv Turbo Holset Build!

Greetings all!

This is my first post on here and I haven't really been active on any forums lately so I figured I would start...

Here is my 1991 318i that I purchased for 1200$ (Plus a Wii game console lol)

Don't mind my 2013 135is next to it, it's just my Daily.

Sorry I don't have to many pictures of it alone... But anyways here's a pic of the previous owner giving her a bath!

I bought the car from a completely mechanically inept owner, also an aquintance from High School. He offered to me for 2500$ and told me that all I needed to fix was the oil pan... I figured hey, what the hell. I was looking for a track car anyways and this looked PERFECT. (After all was done and said I ended up talking him down to 1200$)

Exterior of the car was a 8/10 no dents, paint was fresh, and he had some xxr rims on it (Not that bad)

Interior was a 9/10, I have no idea how this car looked so perfect after all the neglect of the previous owner, but it did.. I foolishly, and still regret it, stripped the car to nothing including carpet, center console, rear seats etc with the intention of turning it into a track car. ( BAD IDEA, SHOULD HAVE LEFT THE INTERIOR)

Mechanically WOW. 3/10. The engine was shot. Spun bearings and who knows what else from oil starvation. He had bragged after cracking his oil pan that it made it another 10 miles home safely, as if it was a good thing.

I JB Welded the car on the spot before I drove it home, actually held perfectly. Started the car right up and drove it back home clicking and clacking violently!

The car lasted about 2 days of regular and SPIRITED driving (I live on the redline for some odd reason) I went to start it up in the early morning on my way to work and felt complete lack of power, barely made it back around the block to home... SUCCESS!

I had intentions of putting in a different engine from the start so the fact it
    blew on me only made me a bit more rushed to get this started!

Only photo of it up in the air! (Also a rare image of my 135is after I wrapped it in Satin Silver)

Since I had never worked on BMW's before, I started some research and decided on a M50NV for simplicity of tuning and stoutness!

Also did some reading and decided on a ZF from an e36 M3, paired to a 328i manual driveshaft from an e36 as well.

Alright now here's the PARTS LIST.

$170 Shipped : ARP Head Stud kit
    $200 Shipped :Cometic .140 Head Gasket (Effectively lowering compression I believe to somewhere around 8.8)
    $410 Shipped : Ebay 6 Puck sprung with lightweight flywheel (Came as package with clutch BRAND NAME F1 Racing)
    $130 Shipped : CondorSpeed Motor/Trans Mounts (Also can use m5 mounts as an option, make sure you have mounting arms from the e36 M50, your e30 mount arms will not work)
    $100 Shipped : 5 series Oil pan/Pickup/Dipstick (In hindsight after reading you minus well secure the oil pump nut as I guess it is a common component to fail)
    $211 Shipped : CXracing m50 radiator + Fan + Shroud (Found out hard way that the SHROUD WILL NOT FIT, NO F*CKING WAY AT ALL, SKIP IT! The fan I had to mount on the exterior face of the radiator because of clearance issues)
    $440 Shipped : Good n' Tite e30 M50 based T4 Manifold (I totally screwed up and meant to order a T3... There customer service on returns was pretty much non existent. I explained I purchased the wrong manifold and would be more than happy to pay shipping for the T3. There response was CLIENT HAS MOUNTED MANIFOLD AND IS NO LONGER IN NEW CONDITION. NO RETURNS OFFERED. Not that awesome......) However quality was great!
    Ebay T4/T3 Angled adapter, because of my mistake listed above...
    $420 Shipped : Holset HX35 7 Blade, with 5 bolt adapter to v Band housing with Wastegate already welded shut...Plus V-band outlet and clamps for compressor side unwelded (Like 25$ alone) (It came off an STI with same displacement spooled 28 psi by 3600 rpm, so hoping for similar results)
    $148 Shipped : Mishimoto 3 Inch S-Line Radiator
    $92 Shipped : CXracing 3 inch Intercooler Piping kit
    $620 Shipped : MEGA-SQUIRT 3 with the X expansion (MS3X v3.57) Also included IAT sensor and both 8" Harnesses
    $158 Shipped : Innovate LC-2 Wideband + Controller (Necessary to run Megasquirt with Wideband tuning capabilities... AKA Milessss Ahead Narrowband)
    $170 Shipped : MEGA-SQUIRT Spark Box x2 (For controlling stock coils on ms3)
    $80 Shipped : Authentic Tial 38mm Wastegate (Came off STI mentioned above)
    $18 Shipped : Ebay 38mm to 40mm-44mm 2 bolt to V-Band adapter (As manifold was V-Band and wastegate was standard 2 Bolt off the same STI mentioned above... Deal was to good to pass up)
    $60 Shipped : Authentic Greddy Type RS BOV (Off same STI as above, package deal to good to pass up)
    $420 Shipped : CXRacing e30 Turbo Back Exhaust Kit (Will most likely need some modification but gives a great starting tract for the exhaust!)
    $450 Shipped : Bosch 850CC Injectors
    $124 Shipped : Walbro 400LPH E85 Safe Fuel Pump
    $218 Shipped : Rx7 Front Brake Caliper Hardware + e30 Adapter kit.

So that's pretty much it for the parts list currently, trying to keep everything on somewhat manageable budget, with ability for expansion in the future if desired. (Comeon, it's boost, you all know how addictive it is)

I currently have the engine and trans mounted in the car, sorting out some wiring with Megasquirt as its my first EMS I have wired alone it's quite intimidating...

Heres a money shot with manifold + Turbo mounted

Before Clocking just because I wanted to!

After Clocking for fitment! Also check out CXracing Radiator and fan fitment through grill!

Anyways I'm shooting for around 420whp on e85 and stock internals after were completed. Wish me luck!

OH and If buying BMW, stick to the classics when they actually made quality products (OBSERVE MY 2013 BMW 135IS 6-Speed in it's natural habitat...aka The 3rd transmission issue I have had!)

VERY WOW. SUCH BMW. VERY AMAZE.

I can't complain to much though, I have a 4 inch downpipe, walbro 255, Single GT30 wheel upgrade in stock housing, JB4 and Intake from BMS, and I run 60% E85... The trans just can't handle it.. Only made 468whp and 470~ WTQ and I keep snapping 2nd-3rd gear synchros. Probably the way I drive it..Very enthusiastically :)

I'm currently wiring up the MS3X and have only 1 day of a week, if that. So progress will not be over night.

Cross your fingers for me guys, I'm hoping this turns out beastly.:hitler:

xSLANGX
    Last edited by xSLANGx; 12-03-2014, 04:02 AM.

Subscribed!
    I'm also beginning an M50nv swap (with boost next summer)
    '90 325is Schwarz
    5 lug'd 24V Turbo on VEMS

Comment

Contemplating boost on my M50NV. You haz my attention.
      91 318is M50 swapped
      05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Looks like its going to be a great build! also do you have a link to the clutch and flywheel you got?

Comment

Should use a cutring vs a MLS

Check Us out on Facebook
          Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
          Full Product Line Tuning
          OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Are you talking about this cutring: http://www.cesmotorsport.com/documents/94.html

Any other options that's less than $500 for a copper spacer and cutring?
            '90 325is Schwarz

Comment

Originally posted by marek|steezkal View Post
              Are you talking about this cutring: http://www.cesmotorsport.com/documents/94.html

At IE, we are hell-bent on making the VW / Audi cars we love better. Our mission is to engineer hardware and software upgrades that out-perform original equipment in speed and strength. IE parts are second to none because we design them the way we want them for our own cars. We share your passion for making your...

I cant stand CESmotorsports website. Its all overlapping and I cant see anything.
              1987 325 project

Comment

sub'd. I've been thinking of boosting my NV
                SEE THE MOST BORING M50NV BUILD THREAD HERE: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=288275

Comment

off e30 topic

Do you have a 6 speed in the 135i or DCT?

How much does a trans cost you?

Comment

Sub'd.
                    2004 500whp STI Track monster
                    1988 180hp Slow Daily 325is

Comment

Originally posted by JonasBarstad View Post
                      Looks like its going to be a great build! also do you have a link to the clutch and flywheel you got?
                      It a standard F1 Racing Lightweight flywheel and 6 puck sprung clutch...they are all over ebay...

MAJOR DOWNSIDE TO LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEEL IS THAT IT IS NOT DRILLED FOR TDC PIN FOR TIMING THE ENGINE....I had to go by engine markings.....not a fan..

In retrospect would have timed engine first then swapped out flywheel..

Originally posted by 328ijunkie View Post
                      Should use a cutring vs a MLS
                      I wanted quick and efficient proven build...The MLS although having its weakpoints..has been tried and proven in the past.

Originally posted by marek|steezkal View Post

Same problem I ran into..MLS = cost effective and proven...I believe that the retorque procedure with the ARP studs as recommended should eliminate some of the issues people run into with MLS (I doubt most people pop off the valve cover to do the break in retorque...something I will be 100% doing)
                      Originally posted by drummerchubbs View Post
                      sub'd. I've been thinking of boosting my NV
                      Originally posted by surebimmer View Post
                      off e30 topic

Do you have a 6 speed in the 135i or DCT?

How much does a trans cost you?

Originally posted by YZ86 View Post
                      Sub'd.
                      The Car is a 2013 135is Fully loaded 6 speed manual..I have gone through 3 transmission with BMW covering 2 of them... The damn thing barely has 16,000 miles on it...what a shame...

Its been the 2nd gear syncrho every time that goes first..to the point that the gear becomes unusable and impossible to stay in..Hurrah for 1st-3rd power-shifts..

I have now blown up the trans yet again..this time with only the Upgraded pure turbos compressor upgrade and stock tune..probaly a net of 20whp over stock..very dissapointed here.

I guess I cant blame BMW completely though, I drive like a fucking T-Rex is chasing me..

(I figure hey, if I buy a sports car, I minus well drive it how it was meant to be...AKA redline shifts at WOT every time xP )

As for the cost the Stealership charged BMW a heft 8900 with trans install and labor..

OUCH..

Trans = around 3k with core from ZF

Comment

Update? Making booooooooooosssst yet?
                        -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                        08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                        318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                        '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                        Originally posted by roguetoaster
                        Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

March update?
                          '90 325is Schwarz

Comment

Update!!

Sorry for the delay!

Work has been taking most of my time lately so I haven't had a chance to work on Betsy aka my e30.

Have about 90% of the megasquirt wiring done, it syncs to Tuner Studio via my laptop and registers gauges. Just need to throw on the intake manifold after some wiring tidy up and fab the intercooler pieces together.

Had the toughest time finding a way to route the relays together!

Heres a few photos just as a teaser (Dont mind the mess)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4753.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	7176534

Coil packs all wired!
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7446.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	7176535

Only issue I'm running into is how to route these fuel lines, do I need to keep the EVAP canister? And does one end route to the non pressurized fuel line coming from the fuel tank and the other goes where?

Comment

The incoming line of the EVAP canister comes from the underside of the throttle body.

Throttle body > valve with 2 prong? wiring connector > EVAP canister > return to tank
                              '90 325is Schwarz

Comment

Working...
                              X