Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M50 ZF trans Heatshield/friction plate question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M50 ZF trans Heatshield/friction plate question.

Im in the middle of a light flywheel single mass and zf transmission conversion,
    I noticed I never had a heatshield (plate between engine and transmission) when I removed my PP and Flywheel. I decided to wait and see with you guys here if there would be any problems to run the car without the heatshield, because I was thinking that maybe the exhaust is too close to the transmission and could damage the clutch disc and pilot bearing because of the heat, and cause premature disk failure? Maybe Im over thinking this stuff? Idk? anyone here running without the plate? your answer will be very much appreciated. thanks.
    Last edited by woc; 03-21-2015, 09:22 AM.
    sigpic

49 people and nothing. let me try e30tech cause you guys suck! LOL
    sigpic

Comment

I don't know if it's reason is to shield from heat but rather shield from rocks and sticks that could get in there and damage the rotating parts. I just bought one from the dealer for like $12. Why not just install one for good measure?
      '90 325is Schwarz
      5 lug'd 24V Turbo on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by marek|steezkal View Post
        I don't know if it's reason is to shield from heat but rather shield from rocks and sticks that could get in there and damage the rotating parts. I just bought one from the dealer for like $12. Why not just install one for good measure?
        because in the 240sx illestdrifthellaflush world its cool to not install parts that might be safe.
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
          because in the 240sx illestdrifthellaflush world its cool to not install parts that might be safe.
          Haha so true, how could I forget
          '90 325is Schwarz
          5 lug'd 24V Turbo on VEMS

Comment

Got one. A mechanic told me that without one, I could have premature clutch failure.
            sigpic

Comment

That is a debris shield to prevent rocks and dirt from getting in there. It's important, but not because of heat.

Comment

Working...
              X