noob needs help diagnosing engine tick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noob needs help diagnosing engine tick

I just bought this e30 yesterday. I hear these M20 engines are "sewing machines" but does this sound "normal" or do I have something I need to address? I'm only beginning to learn to work on this car myself. Thanks.
    I just bought this e30 yesterday. I hear these M20 engines are "sewing machines" but does this sound "normal" or do I have something I need to address? I'm...

thats not normal.

Comment

any ideas what it is?

Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post
      thats not normal.

Comment

sounds like you need a valve adjustment.
        Much wow
        I hate 4 doors

Comment

definately not normal

sounds like a rod knock or bad wrist pin ,either way needs serious engine work, ouch
          Angus
          88 E30M3 X2
          89 325IX
          92 R100GS/PD
          :)

Comment

sounds like u need oil
            feedback?!

4x100 32mm Wheel Spacers $70 Shipped

Comment

oil is full

Originally posted by Ramgoat View Post
              sounds like u need oil

Comment

Certainly not normal. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what's going on with the video, but check the easy/free things first. I've heard exhaust leaks at the header/head interface sound an aweful lot like that. I'd start there.

In addition, I'd check all the rotating assemblies on the front of your motor. I've heard some obscene knocks out of pulleys, fans, waterpumps, etc. Things hang in the way or rattle loose.

Short of those things, you are looking at something internal. It has a slight hint of bottom end noise, with the likely cause being rod bearings. I can't recall ever seeing a bad wrist pin on an E30(not to say it's not possible, just uncommon).

Lastly, if it is internal to your motor, not only do you need to figure out the source of the noise, but you also need to figure out the cause of failure for the part making it. The point is that you can replace your rod bearings but if poor oil circulation caused them to fail in the first place, without fixing the oil issue you're going to have bad rod bearings again real soon.
                sigpic
                "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Also, some questions that may help you solve your riddle.

Did you buy the car like this? If not, what were you doing when you first heard the noise? Was it sudden onset or did it gradually get louder? Do you have any noise when starting your car and in the first second after startup? A rod bearing will often be VERY chattery right after startup before you build oil pressure(takes about a second).

When were the valves last adjusted and were they adjusted by someone competent? Have you popped your valve cover off and had a look underneath?
                  sigpic
                  "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

Comment

it might be ur fan is hitting ur radiator or one of ur fuel injector is going out or else it could be ur valves are sticking
                    Originally posted by InuFaye
                    silver is old man color car. you need dat BRO-SECA BLUE.
                    Originally posted by blunttech
                    so true.. never let them know where you live..I almost ended up in jail when I was raping young women on craigslist
                    Originally posted by george graves
                    An S5x is like the girl you want to marry - an m30 is the girl you don't bring home to mom.

Comment

Working...
                    X