X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked it before, but no caps is my favorite

Comment

Originally posted by E30ownerwithanopinion View Post
      you might be noticed if you were standing at a meat looking at mods... but if you were to be hitting an apex.. it wouldn't fucken matter.
      yeah, sausage fest mods FTL. :p
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I think that looks awesome. One way you could get it to mount would be to drill a countersunk hole in the cap, then a hole into the bolt area of the wheel, and use a tap and die to make it threaded. Then get a long enough machine screw with the right thread pattern, one that has a low profile hex head or slotted head instead of a phillips, and use that to secure the cap to the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson View Post
          I think that looks awesome. One way you could get it to mount would be to drill a countersunk hole in the cap, then a hole into the bolt area of the wheel, and use a tap and die to make it threaded. Then get a long enough machine screw with the right thread pattern, one that has a low profile hex head or slotted head instead of a phillips, and use that to secure the cap to the wheel.

Thats kind of what I was thinking. I know a custom bike builder that I make a lot of hubs for his wheels and center caps and he installs them with a little clear silicone cant see it and it holds them in place and not too difficult to remove. Might be an alternative to try if you aren't familiar with drilling and tapping.

I kind of like the new look. I may try it with one of my cars.
          sigpic
          1990 E30 325ic (sold for more than I paid for it after 5 Years)
          1995 E30 325e (in progress)
          1987 E30 325is (totaled)
          1990 E30 325i
          1991 E30 318is M50 PWR
          1996 E36 328ic
          1997 Z3
          2006 F150 Super Crew 5.4L 6.5' bed The work horse (need something to drag all these old BMW's home for resurrection.)

Comment

It looks like you stuck a hood roundel on there and your missing something!?

Take a closeup.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
            1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by kenika65 View Post
              It looks like you stuck a hood roundel on there and your missing something!?

Take a closeup.
              You would LYAO if you saw a hood roundel there. Here is a straight ahead shot.

Before:

After:

The little black speck over the "m" is part of the cap...cant change that. I was thinking a long set screw but wasn't sure about the balance of the wheel. Its not like im gonna put bolts to hold it on but I wasn't sure.

The thing about tapping a screw hole for shights and giggles is that each cap is worth about $50 buck if i f it up. First time right applies here.

COTM

Comment

OK Personally think the flat cap looks fucking awesome. I had a set sitting next to me and popped it apart

The solution is easy. take the retaining nut portion and simply cut off part that sticks up, leave the rest. Try and cut it to the same size as the roundell.

Sure the roundell will stick out more than in your picture (less than 1/8 inch ) and if that is a problem simply buy new roundell decals and stick them directly to the locking bit you cut down, omitting the plastic backing that they are on now.

Installing and removing might be tricky but I am betting if you press the palm of your hand into the center you can twist it on and off.

I think I have a damaged centercap somewhere. I will try and remember to cut it down on my lathe tomorrow to show how it will look.

Comment

I thought about shaving the nut part off (if i understand you correctly) but getting it on and off may be a biotch.

Do you see how nicely the roundel part clips onto the biggest part of the cap. It looks like it would be harder to put a flush screw on a 14" cap. I wish I had some spare caps laying around.

COTM

Comment

diddo on the velcro. lol

Comment

dude, seriously?

2 year old thread

edit: 2.5 to be exact
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X