No announcement yet.

The wife wants it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The look of the steel wheels is definately cool, but personally I would've opted for another way to resolve the caliper clearance issue. Grinding/cutting down brake caliper parts wouldn't give me a lot of confidence should I need to suddenly brake aggressively.....such as avoiding a collision. :fingers crossed:

Jon
    Rides...
    1991 325i - sold :(
    2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

you mean to tell me that just to fit a set of wheels that are of incorrect offset you intentionally weekend a key part of the braking system? you say this part doesnt do anything but hold the pad, if i recall correctly this portion of the caliper assembly has the caliper bolted to it on sliding bushings, correct? and a popular modification on all BMWs using this design is to replace these bushings which are rubber with brass due to the force of braking twisting the caliper enough to cause uneven pad wear. this means that there is a force large enough to twist the caliper enough to deform these stiff rubber bushings. This same force is being put through to this bracket. you are telling me that you cut off about 33% of this bracket ON YOUR WIFES CAR?

are you trying to kill your wife?

edit: seriously?

edit2:lol i said weekend instead of weakened
      Last edited by NC325iC; 08-20-2008, 03:46 PM.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
        you mean to tell me that just to fit a set of wheels that are of incorrect offset you intentionally weekend a key part of the braking system? you say this part doesnt do anything but hold the pad, if i recall correctly this portion of the caliper assembly has the caliper bolted to it on sliding bushings, correct? and a popular modification on all BMWs using this design is to replace these bushings which are rubber with brass due to the force of braking twisting the caliper enough to cause uneven pad wear. this means that there is a force large enough to twist the caliper enough to deform these stiff rubber bushings. This same force is being put through to this bracket. you are telling me that you cut off about 33% of this bracket ON YOUR WIFES CAR?

are you trying to kill your wife?

edit: seriously?

Seriously.
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Seriously?

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
          RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Ohne scheiß ?

aka seriously? I thought it was bad when I forgot to locktite the caliper bolts for about a day...

Comment

serious? id reconsider function> form x eleventy

RUT ROH

Comment

owned

Comment

I love the car. looks good

Well, posterity, you will never know what it cost us to preserve your freedom. I only hope that you will make a good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that I ever took half the pains to preserve it.
                  ~ John Adams ~

Comment

What if you got a wheel with more back space and ran a big fatty spacer in the front?
                    -Chris

Comment

probably could have just run like a 5-10mm spacer and been safe. really, i wouldnt run the caliper that way...
                      IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

The only way to run a spacer is if the spacer is flat and specificly made for 4x100 and no other holes in it.
                        I have tried 5 and 8 mm spacers and I would get nothing but wheel wobble because of them not being flat. With the 5mm and 8mm spacers I still had to grind the caliper and bracket anyways. There is no way you can run these wheels and have it look correct with out hacking up your fenders or running some flares.
                        The ET of this style wheels doesnt have anything to do with why it hits the caliper and bracket. Its the design of the wheel thats causing all the problems because most of it is flat on the back.
                        If I thought that it wasnt safe doing it this way then I would have never done it.
                        To be honest I still dont see the issue with it being this way.
                        I have been driving the car like this for about a month or so now and I didnt feel anything different in the brake pedal ir feel anything that didnt feel like it did before.
                        If something wrong happens then yes I will be OWND as most of you say.
                        But Im 100% sure it will be just fine.

Comment

Nice sig Mike. :up:
                          Cornering is like bringing a woman to climax.
                          -Jackie Stewart

Comment

Working...
                          X