Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is $750 a reasonable price for a cluch replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is $750 a reasonable price for a cluch replacement?

finally I got a reputable mechanic to look over my e30. He said my car was in really good shape mechanically but said the car needed a new clutch (hard to get into gear, clutch hard to push etc.)

The car has 150k miles on it and I'm not surpised. i was going to replace it several years ago, but my mechanic back in Sask didnt' want to bother with it.

Thsi mechanic said he would replace the rear main seal as well as the whole clutch kit. Should I also consider a lightened flywheel at this time?

thanks in advance

Id say its a decent price. Is that NOT including the clutch/flywheel? I assume you mean 750.00 just for the install?
    sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

just do it your self its not that bad. lol
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by txtorquemade View Post
        Id say its a decent price. Is that NOT including the clutch/flywheel? I assume you mean 750.00 just for the install?
        thats for everything included

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockefeller View Post
          thats for everything included
          Book time on that is somewhere around 6 hours? Don't quote me...but I think that's right. So yes, that's a pretty good price.
          Originally posted by Dozyproductions
          All girls fuck but not all girls fuck around with combustion engines.

Comment

Originally posted by xwill112x View Post
            just do it your self its not that bad. Lol
            +1
            PSN ID: Yourself1

Comment

The symptoms you described lead me to believe you have a master/slave cylinder issue. Maybe they need to be bled? When the clutch went on my e30, it would slip and I couldnt accelerate too fast. Doing the clutch on an m20 e30 is a pain in the ass. It took me around 8 hours. $750 for parts and labor is a good deal.

As far as the flywheel goes, I think the "I" flywheel is great for daily driving. With a lightweight flywheel, your revs will drop VERY quickly and make the shift feel harder. So unless your tracking it, I recommend leaving your flywheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed1299 View Post
                The symptoms you described lead me to believe you have a master/slave cylinder issue. Maybe they need to be bled? When the clutch went on my e30, it would slip and I couldnt accelerate too fast. Doing the clutch on an m20 e30 is a pain in the ass. It took me around 8 hours. $750 for parts and labor is a good deal.
                This is the same thing that I was thinking too, but considering my mileage I was thinking it was just time to had the clutch done (honestly, I've had many vehicles, and never had to replace the clutches on any of them). I was thinking it may be an issue with the release bearing????

Seemed funny that I'd be replacing my clutch consideirng I'm not experiencing any slippage issues(but there is an un-evenness in the harder accelerations (the DS and the subframe bushings are still new)). I seem to recall the mechanic mentioning something along the lines of something being warped and that he may as well just replace the whole clutch assy. while he's in there.

I agree, given the clutch replacement writeups on the e30 (or any clutch job for that matter), I think this is something i may as well leave it up to someone else to do, and save my hard-earned $ for other jobs I can do on my own (tune-ups, valve adj's etc.)

Comment

Definitely not a bad price.
                  Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                  Do you feel like something is trying to penetrate your butthole?

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Speed1299 View Post
                    The symptoms you described lead me to believe you have a master/slave cylinder issue.
                    had the same issue with my Eta, the salve died and it was making really hard to release the clutch.
                    Much wow
                    I hate 4 doors

Comment

Thats what mine was out the door...3 years ago.

COTM

Comment

Sounds like the throwout bearing doesn't have enough travel. Could be a hydraulic issue.

Comment

Bad clutch = slipping

Stiff Pedal /= bad clutch

Mechanic telling you a stiff pedal means a bad clutch tells me you need a different mechanic.

Closing SOON!
                          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

i need to do my clutch also. i got quoted 450 with install and parts from someone my dads been going to for yours but i would have to tow my e30 and plus i have other expenses so im going to buy the clutch and just do the work myself and take a couple of hours to get my flywheel re-surfaced
                            ]

Comment

I bet it's the slave, $40 and an hour of your time will confirm. If it turns out to be fine, I always like to replace the slave on cars when the clutch is replaced anyway.
                              Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                              Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Working...
                              X