Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unsprung M20 Clutch with Single mass flywheel

Hey friends,

I've done light reading on this matter, and will continue to do some more research, but I wanted your opinions on this.

Long story short, I have a brand new ETA M20b27 clutch kit that is UNSPRUNG. It is generally paired with a dual mass flywheel.

I sourced a Late model M20 single mass flywheel and starter that i want to pair it with.

From my research, generally a single mass flywheel is to be paired a SPRUNG clutch disk, NOT a unsprung disk.

Can I run this single mass flywheel with an unsprung clutch disk? How would this affect driveability? I know one of those components are supposed to be sprung to dampen driveline shock and such?

Thoughts? Should i just bite the bullet and buy a new clutch kit? I am on a time constraint since i am trying to make it to the E30 picnic and I am running out of time and money!
    -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
    91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
    08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
    04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
    Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
    Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
    Hey friends,

I've done light reading on this matter, and will continue to do some more research, but I wanted your opinions on this.

Long story short, I have a brand new ETA M20b27 clutch kit that is UNSPRUNG. It is generally paired with a dual mass flywheel.

I sourced a Late model M20 single mass flywheel and starter that i want to pair it with.

From my research, generally a single mass flywheel is to be paired a SPRUNG clutch disk, NOT a unsprung disk.

Can I run this single mass flywheel with an unsprung clutch disk? How would this affect driveability? I know one of those components are supposed to be sprung to dampen driveline shock and such?

Thoughts? Should i just bite the bullet and buy a new clutch kit? I am on a time constraint since i am trying to make it to the E30 picnic and I am running out of time and money!
    You can run it without a sprung clutch disk. Most of the racing clutches are unsprung and pair to the single mass flywheel. Might cause wear on the system or clutch chatter, but it will work.
    sigpic
    Gun control means using both hands
    Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagamus(NM) View Post
      You can run it without a sprung clutch disk. Most of the racing clutches are unsprung and pair to the single mass flywheel. Might cause wear on the system or clutch chatter, but it will work.
      thanks for the insight. I'm tempted to try and run this since i have all the parts readily available, but with me building the car to be daily driver friendly, do you think clutch engagement is going to be very harsh? I have no issue with race car feels, but i'd prefer to have the car feel more factory finished than racecar.
      08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily

Comment

thanks for the insight. I'm tempted to try and run this since i have all the parts readily available, but with me building the car to be daily driver friendly, do you think clutch engagement is going to be very harsh? I have no issue with race car feels, but i'd prefer to have the car feel more factory finished than racecar.
        I think the clutch material has more to do with it than anything else.

I good idea is to take the PP and flywheel to a machine shop or an RV mechanic and have them balance the flywheel and PP together. Should help with any vibrations.
        sigpic

Comment

I too have run a puck clutch for racing, and it's
          really not that much different than sprung. Those springs don't have
          much travel in the hub... I dunno about rattle, though.

If it doesn't have the wave spring in the 'sandwich." as well, it'll have a nice,
          quick grab. Not exactly a switch, but I came to really like how consistent
          it was. You just adjust your release rate off the pedal.

I'd try it for a street car if I had the parts kicking around...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            I too have run a puck clutch for racing, and it's
            really not that much different than sprung. Those springs don't have
            much travel in the hub... I dunno about rattle, though.

If it doesn't have the wave spring in the 'sandwich." as well, it'll have a nice,
            quick grab. Not exactly a switch, but I came to really like how consistent
            it was. You just adjust your release rate off the pedal.

I'd try it for a street car if I had the parts kicking around...

t
            Thanks for the feedback, T.

The clutch kit is actually a stock Sachs M20 ETA clutch kit. They come with unsprung clutch disks because of the dual mass fly...i think the clutch should be absolutely fine as well. My past S52 car had a Spec stage 2 unsprung clutch with single mass flywheel, and that was definitely very touchy but streetable. Just got annoying from time to time lol
            08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily

Comment

The disk lining material influences engagement way more than the springs.
              The springs are there to be kind to the trans if the driver is not on clutch engagement.

I have a unsprung organic disk on a JB Aluminum flywheel in my M44 318Ti and you would never know it. If you drive it civilly you will never know it has no springs.
              Jimmy P.
              87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
              88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
              88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
              92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
              98 318Ti Morea Green
              04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

If anyone is wondering about this still, the clutch engagement is just like OEM. Driving the car seems more "sporty" with the unsprung clutch disk. Highly recommended.

The set up is the following:
                -M20b27 unsprung clutch disk
                -single mass M20b25 pressure plate
                -single mass M20b25 flywheel
                -Euro 323i TOB (for early model getrag 260s with bellhousing reference sensors)
                -M20 pilot bearing
                08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily

Comment

If anyone is wondering about this still, the clutch engagement is just like OEM. Driving the car seems more "sporty" with the unsprung clutch disk. Highly recommended.

The set up is the following:
                  -M20b27 unsprung clutch disk
                  -single mass M20b25 pressure plate
                  -single mass M20b25 flywheel
                  -Euro 323i TOB (for early model getrag 260s with bellhousing reference sensors)
                  -M20 pilot bearing
                  Thank you for the follow up.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X