Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    it's specifically the RHD ITB kit though -
    Not necessarily. The biggy was a properly sized ITB setup. Rama's setup made it affordable (and well designed), however there were a number of guys running 40mm Jenvey's in Europe to great effect. There were a few other proper setups as well, but not out there publicly.

The RHD has made running a proper setup much more easily accessible.

In addition to the rise of RHD ITB's I still believe that a chunk of the old stigma also stems from poor results via home-brew budget setups.
    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

ok, yes, but what I meant was the Dbilas setup that everyone drooled over (including me) was actually never really that good. it wasn't really until RHD came out with their kit that people started to realize the potential (and also how poor the DB kit was).

Remember Dave's stroker? He built a 3.1, spent a lot of money on it. But he basically just bought a bunch of random (expensive) parts and slapped it together with the stock DME and a "ported" head (read: hogged out). it never ran right and didn't make all that much power (not surprising). The car ended up being hit before he could sort it out though, and it was used as an example of why not to modify the M20 for a long time.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Great point, yes. Lots of mix-matched ill-conceived setups kind of put a wet blanket on things for a long time.

I had a friend/customer doing a "proper" race stroker and was dynoing at 248whp with itb's that were too large (48mm). A year ago he switched to the RHD 42mm setup and with the same internals he was bumped up to 274whp (and a smoother power band).
        Last edited by SkiFree; 08-16-2016, 10:42 AM.
        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

that's awesome. that's almost S54 levels of power!

if I wasn't so far down the swap rabbit hole, I'd be building an M20 instead, with all the things that are available these days. My old 2.8 stroker was kind of in the middle of that - I was aware of the problems of previous strokers, but it still had a long way to go to what is available now.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Sunk cost fallacy!
            AWD > RWD

Comment

well, sortof. I have about 95% of the stuff I need to finish. Including a customized, 100% rebuilt Getrag 260 made for a 24v motor (from the same shop that rebuilds most of the SpecE30 transmissions), a brand new factory transfercase, the motor, a clutch, a spare subframe for modding, the oil pans for hacking, and importantly the DME tuning sorted out. Ultimately, it should be lighter and more tractable/fuel efficient than an M20 built to similar power levels. I just have to finish..
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

its def Rama's kit that makes it available to the public (as opposed to trying to find some to fab up a proper custom one if you dont have the skills or tools) there are 3 key points, the alignment to the head, the cross sectional areas (diameter) and total system length are the keys, none of which would want to be individually compromised if you want good results on a mild build.

ive used really short runners on my throttles and it slaughters the midrange just like the dbilas junk, the dbilas runner doesnt match the head properly so it hampers topend even with suitable throttle size and length so you need all 3 features to have a good setup. you can finetune the throttle size and length based on the engine specs as needed
                Last edited by digger; 08-16-2016, 03:12 PM.
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I have to say this is an interesting thread... I'm in the middle of making a decision on building a stroker engine and been wasting my time in making a decision on what pistons to purchase ( and to be honest - what compression ratio to run).. The main issue is I want a daily driver and not a track car. My stock setup is at 255K and I haven't had any pressure to rebuild.. but I know time is running out.

Ive read about the RHD intake for a few years now (diggers thread primarily) and I recall seeing someone post about running it recently (318aye). Has anyone here used this setup used on a stroker - and if so will it be a beneficial add on to stock, mild or race prepped M20 engines? As i haven't settled on cam / piston / head combo..

For a $1500 investment- you get power and engine jewelry.. I think I could justify that.. but if it is finicky..
                  Last edited by 95BMWIC; 01-16-2017, 06:41 PM.

Comment

OP was scared away instantly, hahaha.
                    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

>Bwahaha!<

truth!

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by 95BMWIC View Post
                        I have to say this is an interesting thread... I'm in the middle of making a decision on building a stroker engine and been wasting my time in making a decision on what pistons to purchase ( and to be honest - what compression ratio to run).. The main issue is I want a daily driver and not a track car. My stock setup is at 255K and I haven't had any pressure to rebuild.. but I know time is running out.

Ive read about the RHD intake for a few years now (diggers thread primarily) and I recall seeing someone post about running it recently (318aye). Has anyone here used this setup used on a stroker - and if so will it be a beneficial add on to stock, mild or race prepped M20 engines? As i haven't settled on cam / piston / head combo..

For a $1500 investment- you get power and engine jewelry.. I think I could justify that.. but if it is finicky..
                        it works well on all combinations on engines from B25 and up, street to race and gives good gains. the only real downsides is to do it properly you really ought to use a standalone ECU which is extra investment and not something everyone wants
                        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                        X