Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

B5 S4, operation money pit. Forever evolving, never ending.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the bore mic in and did some work on it tonight. Tons of meat left in the cylinders. Did a proper hone and remeasured afterwards. Gotta do the other side and then start fitting the rings.

No E30 Club
    Originally posted by MrBurgundy
    Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Well after a lot of back and forth, I decided to gap the rings and throw it together. Taking out the ridge ended up with a bit of taper, but all above where the top ring will ride. From that point down I only have about .001" of taper, which I'm OK with. Worst case scenario I tear it down in 20,000 miles and punch it out to a 2.8.

Gapped the rings at .021, and finally got to do some more work. Got one bank done and installed tonight.

I need to order some more tools, crank lock pin so I can change the front main. Cam lock tool for timing belt install, cam gear puller for the seals. Then a new timing belt/pulleys.

Still a long way to go, need to clean the engine bay, rebuild the trans, and order turbos. Found my 4:1 center diff kit though, so that should be a fun bit when it gets running again.

Also, found a great alternative to burning pallets. These things run $2.50 a pack and I am able to get a night's worth of heat out of one. Load the stove and it burns around 600* for hours on end. With the pallets I was loading every 30 minutes.

No E30 Club
      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Aggravated right now. Installed the 4th piston and noticed that it was much harder to turn over. These engines have a offset rod journal on the crank where journals are shared by opposing banks.

There's no thrust play for the rods once both are installed, and they rub pretty good. IMO it's shit, feels like shit, and would be an enemy to horsepower.

Waiting to hear back from some guys with 2.7T experience to either confirm or deny my concerns. I'm hoping that by some chance they are designed to wear in to each other.
        No E30 Club

Comment

Had some bad info on rod orientation. I was told that the bearing tangs should be towards the exhaust side of each bank. Removed and flipped the rods to the intake side, and magically everything is just how it should be.

Moving on....

Now to order a few more odds and ends and I can assemble the engine. Then it's on to the trans.

In turbo news, these new ball bearing turbos I've been told have authentic Garret gt28rs CHRA's and have put down 675whp so far.

It kind of makes a single not worth the extra effort.
          No E30 Club

Comment

Off topic, long after my Daughter gets bored playing in the garage and heads to the house, this guy is glad to keep me company.

Probably just because of the fire, but I'll take it.
            No E30 Club

Comment

I had a noggy. I miss that car.

Comment

Originally posted by Clintoxx View Post
                I had a noggy. I miss that car.
                I can imagine. I don't see myself parting with this car any time soon.

Got the heads bolted down, front and rear mains changed. Had to put together a small order list with ECS for misalaneous items before I can finish assembling the engine. (Crank bolt, random o-rings, crank breather gasket, and some other random bits and pieces that nobody thinks about until needed.)
                No E30 Club

Comment

Woo boost!

Gt28rs hybrids are ordered. Should be good for up to 36psi and near 700awhp. I'm still shooting for 600whp now, and down the road maybe a little more.

Almost there, still need to order random bits and pieces to complete the engine, downpipes, and injectors.

Decided to do some painting, which I didn't intend to do and will surely regret. Since I didn't involve a machine shop or even remove the crank I didn't bother to clean anything other than gasket mating surfaces (don't want to wash oil out of bearings by spraying chemicals everywhere). Once everything is back together I'll tape off the open ports and give it a thorough bath.

No E30 Club

Comment

How many people have left this thread for a craigslist s4? lol - keep up the posts, it's great
                    Build Threads:
                    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Yeah once or twice. I would go for an avant.
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                        How many people have left this thread for a craigslist s4? lol - keep up the posts, it's great
                        More times than I can count. Exodus, you'll regret painting it black at least. It makes it a pain to see oil leaks.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
                        Originally posted by flyboyx
                        how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
                        Originally posted by Northern
                        beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
                        Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
                        Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
                        '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
                        Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                          God knows I have. I really want one now, but at the same time I also want a e39 M5.
                          My Garage
                          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by HennaE30 View Post
                            More times than I can count. Exodus, you'll regret painting it black at least. It makes it a pain to see oil leaks.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
                            Oh I know it. Considering going red on the valve covers, but we shall see what happens.

Ordered most of my miscellaneous shit for the engine. Need to swing by a Audi dealer for a crank bolt that nobody seems to have in stock online.

Found some new Bosch unmodified injectors that flow 1100cc @ 4 bar, and 3" downpipes. Last parts on my list to order!

Getting excited, still a bit of labor ahead but at least I'll have everything on hand so I won't be waiting around.
                            No E30 Club

Comment

Injectors and 3" downpipes on the way. Only thing left at this point is the crank bolt, and I need to pickup a press for the trans overhaul.

Getting there!

Oh, and this.

No E30 Club

Comment

Injectors and downpipes have been delivered, as well as all the engine odds and ends! Still waiting on a crank bolt though, so there's always something...
                                No E30 Club

Comment

Working...
                                X