Clear All

Clearing out some shit in the garage - came across my notes one the racks:

E30 ix: 1.5"/rev, 5.5" total travel
    E46 ix: 2"/rev, 7" total travel
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Steering Rack swap?

So, Quaife makes an aftermarket kit for Porsche 911's. It reduces the stock ratio of 3 turns lock to lock to 2.5 turns.

I wonder if we could get a group buy together to have them manufacture a run for the e30 IX rack?

The kit just includes the rack and pinion itself. You re-use your stock housing. (Gives you a chance to replace all bushings and seals while you're in there).
      The 911 kit only costs ~$300.
      I would happily pay that for a 2.5 turn rack in my car if it meant I didn't have to drill out strut housings and fabricate mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Me too. But good luck getting that going on r3v. We're definitely not rennlist.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

there's like a bazillion more 911's out there than ix's, and I'm guessing many of those guys have much deeper pockets than us. If you could really do it for $300, sure - but I doubt it would be that cheap when realistically you *might* sell 10 of them.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Im in! I can check with a Swedish company just to hear what they say.
            E30 325ix M50 turbo 7 spd DCT 4wd 840awhp @ 31 psi.
            E30 M50 6 spd 764whp @ 24psi.
            E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Count me in for one if you pull it off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

I'd be in
                My Garage
                2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

I'd be in for a group buy aswell
                  Build Thread
                  https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
                  Parts Thread
                  https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Originally posted by Nisse Järnet View Post
                    Im in! I can check with a Swedish company just to hear what they say.
                    They can make a new shorter rack and pinion, price for one unit would be around 700 Eur excl VAT.
                    Will see if a group buy could bring the price down...
                    E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

I have the ability to produce a run of these in the US.
                      Price should be about $400 for the kit. My goal will also be to provide all necessary bushings and seals that should be replaced while rebuilding the rack.
                      I will put a group buy together tonight.

The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

That would just be parts, and we'd have to assemble it ourselves?

If it can be done and somebody comes through - I'm definitely in. Either way, I have a spare core I could use for the shell.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
                          I have the ability to produce a run of these in the US.
                          Price should be about $400 for the kit. My goal will also be to provide all necessary bushings and seals that should be replaced while rebuilding the rack.
                          I will put a group buy together tonight.

Yeah, if you include all of the seals and stuff, I think I would be in for a kit. I recently opened my tie rod dust boots and oil poured out. I then closed it back up and refilled my steering fluid and saved that project for another day. Strangely I don't notice a loss of power steering, is that possible?

Comment

Yes, my goal will be to have 2 kits.

The first kit would be a parts kit and would require you to remove the rack from the car. Rebuild it with all supplied hardware. Re-install rack in the car.

The second kit would be for me to sell the internals to a company like rack doctor so that they can supply you with a complete rack ready to go with a warranty. Obviously this will cost a little bit more, but time is $ right?

I have a rack all taken apart and measured up.
                            I will start a group buy tonight just to see how many people we can get together who are willing to commit at a couple of different price points. I will also contact dealers such as CA-Tuned, Blunt, Guten Parts, Turner, FCP, E-euro, etc. to see if they would be willing to commit to a couple.
                            Obviously, the greater the volume, the lower the production costs will be.

I understand this isn't Rennlist, but at the end of the day, the BMW E30 has the largest community of enthusiast followers of any car in the world. I'm confident that we can make this happen!

Comment

well, I have cash in paypal. If this is for real, I'm in - I've been wanting to do something like this for like, 4 years. lol.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Count me in too!
                                E30 M20 6 spd 675whp.

Comment

Working...
                                X