No announcement yet.

DS 1991 318iS Restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about an LSD and new CV Axles to replace the Open diff and old axles?

New diff has a solid poly mount bushing.

And it's clean

Got all that in, and noticed when spinning the pass rear brake rotor that there was an awful grinding noise. Great, bearings are shot.

Next weeks project just showed itself.

I swear, this car will be so dialed in the next two weeks.

But, not sure if I'll keep it. I have something coming that requires all my attention - and it's worth the sacrifice.
    world renown Harry Potter expert
    sigpic

Comment

Nice man, it's gonna feel great after all of that. My first E30 was a DS 318is and I was always wishing it had more torque, I should've chipped it.

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
      --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
        How about an LSD and new CV Axles to replace the Open diff and old axles?
        Are the new axels different? Looks like the shafts are smaller and they are a tad longer than the old ones. Are they remans? Any recommendation for a brand/supplier?

But, not sure if I'll keep it. I have something coming that requires all my attention - and it's worth the sacrifice.
        NooooooOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOoooooo!

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
          Nice man, it's gonna feel great after all of that. My first E30 was a DS 318is and I was always wishing it had more torque, I should've chipped it.
          Chip, injectors, fresh sensors and general tidiness of the engine bay does wonders for power.

Still slower than a Prius, but around a corner, it couldn't be more fun.

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
          Are the new axels different? Looks like the shafts are smaller and they are a tad longer than the old ones. Are they remans? Any recommendation for a brand/supplier?

NooooooOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOoooooo!
          Axles are exactly the same. The old shafts look shorter because the joints under the boots are telescopic and collapsed in comparison to the new axles.

I used whatever Autozone had; I think they were $60/side for new ones with lifetime warrantees.

And don't worry, the car that is replacing this one is pretty good. I'm sure you won't be too mad when you see it.
          sigpic

Comment

Axles are exactly the same. The old shafts look shorter because the joints under the boots are telescopic and collapsed in comparison to the new axles.

I used whatever Autozone had; I think they were $60/side for new ones with lifetime warrantees.

And don't worry, the car that is replacing this one is pretty good. I'm sure you won't be too mad when you see it.
            Ahhh, right. Telescopic. I knew that and I feel dumb now. :)

Looking forward to seeing the new project!

Comment

I put the Autozone new axles on my E. They gave me no trouble at all. Be careful when putting in the diff bolts so you don't pinch the rubber.

Comment

No trouble at all, right!
                sigpic

Comment

No trouble at all, right!
                  Sarcasm?

Comment

Originally posted by doorman View Post
                    Sarcasm?
                    No, not at all.
                    Installation of the reman units went very smoothly. I recommend them to anyone.

The only thing I'm bummed about is removing them to change wheel bearings.
                    sigpic

Comment

You bought a 99 Pontiac Sunfire??
                      The Lineup in order of appearance:
                      91 535i
                      91 318is 5 Lug/E46M3 Brakes
                      91 325is w/ S52
                      88 Vert Plastic Bumper Swap
                      88 M3 ;D
                      91 325ix 5 speed
                      89 Vert Royalblau Metallic
                      73 2002
                      1986 325es --> is swap Rallycross Car!!
                      1995 Chevy G30 Tow Rig... *I SOLD A CAR!!*
                      1993 525i Granitsilber Metallic Touring

Need a 91 M5 bad but wife would shoot me...twice

*UPDATE: got a 93 M5 and still alive

1972 Jeep Wagoneer
                      1975 2002 five speed

Check out:
                      Elhartspeedshop.com

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by elcoy View Post
                        You bought a 99 Pontiac Sunfire??
                        Pretty close! It's a 90s car, though!

Got antsy this morning and replaced a few things.

First is the center console piece/e-brake surround. I had a better one in the garage, so in it went. Neither the new or old unit had rips, but the old one had ripples and de-lamination.

Then I threw in a new Bosch ICV. Even after I cleaned the old unit, idle would bounce up and down before "settling" when coming out of gear and into neutral. A New ICV solved all issues. Idle is smooth as a virgin buttocks.

Then went a step further and replaced spark plug wires and spark plugs with fresh Bremi units and NGK 2288s.

Once I get the rear wheel bearings and brake pads replaced, I can focus on exterior aesthetic.

I'm getting close, guys. This thing is running so great right now.
                        sigpic

Comment

You make more progress in a month than I do in a year. I am jealous of your speed and ability to get parts quickly! I will really miss the frequent updates to this thread.

Good luck with the '91 Toyota Previa! :D

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                            Did you have a lot of gunk built up around the injectors and lower intake manifold?

sigpic

Comment

Final piece was replacing the rear wheel bearings. Was able to wrap everything up in about 2 hours total. This includes turning the rotors and fresh brake pads.

This car is finally sound from a mechanical standpoint. Holy cow did I buy this thing wrong. But I can't be mad because I enjoy bringing them back from death.

sigpic

Comment

I bought the same autozone axle and mine came without the clamp on the inner side. I just put a hose clamp on it and leaked grease all over the place. Maybe I should go get it replaced and the bolts it came with are too long

Comment

Working...
                                X