No announcement yet.

Gremlin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waiting to hear how the last fix worked out ... if the gremlin has been exorcised!
    My 88 vert started this last week on the way to work ... embarrassed to come home on a rollback and it starts when you go to back it off!

Comment

Replaced ignition switch, but I received more information from Mike Miller to check the OBC relay for a solder break. I learned the OBC security code function which is connected to this relay could be the cause of this problem. Mike responded to my inquiry while I still was working on the switch, so have not tested with only the ignition switch replacement; expect relay this week so will know if the last two items cures my possessed E30. I pulled the OBC relay board out to visually inspecting for any signs of a solder break, but did not see any visible signs; still replacing it, though since it could be the relay itself.

If you have a later model E30, the switch replacement is not as easy as the Utube video; we have shear bolts so it will require removing the ignition tumbler to move the upper steering cover to reach the switch; moved it enough to pull the switch. Be careful when you disconnect and connect the switch; sharp sheet metal which will cause a deep cut if you slip.

I will have an update soon; maybe this weekend if the relay arrive by Friday.

Comment

Received new OBC relay and just installed it. Hopefully, between the new ignition switch and OBC relay, the gremlin is gone. Will let all of you know. :devil:

Comment

More bad news; stalled today. I had to wait about 30 seconds before being able to startup. Pretty much exhausted checking and replacing every conceivable part. Resorting to having RyanGMW take my car for several months to diagnose the problem. If needed, I will replace the wiring harness.

:

Comment

Since my car was stalling almost daily and usually after about 15 minutes of driving, I had it towed to my mechanic (Ryan Gangemi Motorworks in Auburn) for his shop to diagnose. I left it with him last week and he was able to identify the gremlin!

He believes it's in the wiring harness; car died every time he moved around wiring near a connector; might be in the same wiring in the same harness I repaired.

Will provide update when if confirms the fix.

Happy New Year!

PS been taking my "is" and E36 M3 for all work beyond my lay knowledge and ability. Trustworthy, a German car whiz, and customer focused. It's worth my time to drive up there for his service.

Comment

Hallelujah! Ryan Gangemi Motorworks found and fixed the problem.
              Broken shield wire on the CPS harness; not the CPS, but the engine harness. They replaced the harness and my car is ready for pickup! The best news to start the New Year.

No way I would have figured this out. It did not take them long to isolate the problem; finding a harness took time, but I left to the car with him as long as he needed to diagnose the gremlin. Traveling via train from SF to Auburn to pick up my baby on Monday. Woohoo!

Comment

Working...
              X