No announcement yet.

Determined to find an iX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just curious, why are you specifically looking for an ix?

Don't forget to do the jack test, the drivetrain is fucking expensive.

Comment

much cleaner than the one your first posted, only a few hundred more
      WTB:m60b40 in PNW
      Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
      92 525it 5 speed.
      80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Originally posted by FireFight View Post
        https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5930278077.html

much cleaner than the one your first posted, only a few hundred more
        Yep, and I am sure you could get a deal if you showed up with cash..
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by ZodGilla View Post
          Just curious, why are you specifically looking for an ix?

Don't forget to do the jack test, the drivetrain is fucking expensive.
          Always been an Audi guy, so I'm used to a Quattro (always up in the mountains as well). The iX seems to be the perfect fit for me for both those reasons, and probably way more fun than an Audi.

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
            Yep, and I am sure you could get a deal if you showed up with cash..
            totally, walk up with at most 5800 and i bet you'll leave with an IX
            WTB:m60b40 in PNW
            Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
            92 525it 5 speed.
            80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Originally posted by jasonsc View Post
              Always been an Audi guy, so I'm used to a Quattro (always up in the mountains as well). The iX seems to be the perfect fit for me for both those reasons, and probably way more fun than an Audi.

Maybe so, but before you get in to it, realize that almost everything for an iX is different from a regular E30.

Some iX only parts (not comperhensive, but I am sure others know more)

-Engine blocks
              -body shell
              -transmission
              -front suspension
              -shifter
              ..etc.

But despite that, they are decent cars and will treat you well if you treat it well. My buddy has 3 of them and loves them, but he also has plenty of spare parts to keep them running for a few years.

If you can, get someone who knows about iX to tag along while you look at any for sale.
              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
              2016 Ford Flex
              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Not my car, saw it on my weekly search. I posted this on 2 WTB threads in the for sale forum. Not sure what your budget is as this one is not cheap and its an auto, but looks like a super clean 2 owner car with only 70K miles on it.

1989 325is Lachssilber - Sold
                1990 325is Sterlingsilber - Current Project
                September 2018 Car of the Month: Zeemz
                Youtube Track & Autocross Videos

Comment

IXs are boring compared to standard e30s. I know, I've bought 3.

But they are pretty beastly. Quite a lot more grip than rwd e30s. They definitely need a lot more power to be the same amount of fun though. My current IX has just been a world of trouble. And the rust... the rust most IXs have because they've been winter cars their whole life. My IX is probably a few pounds lighter due to speed holes.

And everything is more complicated and it sucks. All IX parts are way more expensive than rwd parts. Control arms? $100 new for rwd, $300 for a used ix set, now you need to buy all the balljoints separately (another $150-200) and replace them yourself.

Want to lower your IX? Might as well replace all 4 front cv axle boots now, because they're going to pop a few hundred miles after you lower it. And that's now a regular 1 or 2 year service interval item.

Don't get me wrong, I love my IX. But the best e30 I ever owned was a pos $1300 1987 325es.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                    IXs are boring compared to standard e30s. I know, I've bought 3.
                    Points taken! Thanks.

Comment

If you can get him down to about $4K, that's not a bad deal. 8800 is a bit step for a rebuilt title, and what it is. But he may just have a pie-in-the-sky number to root out the flakes. Call him up and talk to him.
                      That's in Canada.. it's like $5 when you factor the exchange rate. :p

it's an early euro ix too. I dunno, I don't really like the early/euro ix's - the quirky looks, coupled with the fact that ix's are already oddball, and now you throw on an oddball early euro chassis. Some people like them, not my thing..
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

It's layers of oddness all the way down. Unique is a more PR friendly way to put it. 3.64 diff gears special to that model only too.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          That's in Canada.. it's like $5 when you factor the exchange rate. :p

it's an early euro ix too. I dunno, I don't really like the early/euro ix's - the quirky looks, coupled with the fact that ix's are already oddball, and now you throw on an oddball early euro chassis. Some people like them, not my thing..
                          they are lighter, I just weighed mine today and with a turbo and me in it, its a featherweight 2940 lbs
                          318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                          '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Not sure about that. Mine is only 2800lbs. It's not a big difference either way.

the '88s were the heaviest - aside from options, they had a steel spare wheel and 1" of that trunk tar crap & extra sound insulation I think. I can't remember but I think my '88 also had that solid slab of ballast under the spare tire (another 50lbs or so). The later ones don't have the tar, have an alloy spare, also the aluminum bumpers are not light.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If you can get him down to about $4K, that's not a bad deal. 8800 is a bit step for a rebuilt title, and what it is. But he may just have a pie-in-the-sky number to root out the flakes. Call him up and talk to him.
                              That's an early euro model ix, never came to north america so that's a rare find, id jump on it immediately, it looks fantastic
                              84 325e, Saphirblau Metallic/Houndstooth Sport, OBD-2 M52B28/ zf320

Comment

To bad you arent on the east coast. I have a 1988 AWII manual coupe that is rust free and I just finished putting over $2900 worth of parts into. I need to sell it
                                450whp 524 lb-ft 1988 336ic In progress

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250709

Comment

Working...
                                X