Determined to find an iX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yngtmr View Post
    That's an early euro model ix, never came to north america so that's a rare find, id jump on it immediately, it looks fantastic
    Heading up to look at it on Monday. Doesn't seem to flexible on the price, but I want to check it out either way. The CarFax is crazy detailed. Whoever owned it before it was rear-ended in July loved the thing. Damage was minimal, but the cost to fix it was more than the BB value of the car (especially for Canada) which is why the "rebuilt" title. My hesitation is all the costs involved with purchasing in Canada (12% tax) and importing (2.4% at the border), then more tax here (9.8%), changing the cluster (another ~ $300) so I can register it here. If I can't get him to come down a substantial amount, it just isn't worth it.

Comment

Dude dont worry about the border. Its a breeze. Also you can itemize the duty on your taxes as a write off. Save the receipt!

If you have questions about importing it, send me a pm - I've done it a few times at this specific crossing. FYI, you dont have to change the cluster - they DGAF about it reading km or miles. Its exempt due to age anyway.

remember, the CAD exchange sucks (for them). Show up with cash and talk them down. Its like $0.72 - so $8K CAD quickly becomes very cheap. Also you pay duty on the US amount - I don't think its 12% anyway.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Comment

I was driving up to Canada this past weekend and saw a white e30 ix for sale off of of an exit, I think near Bellingham. It was parked in front of a convenience store. I took these pictures, but there wasn't a phone number on the guys sign!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll be selling my beloved '88 in a couple months. It's very clean and well maintained. Not sure how quick you're looking to buy though.
            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
              I'll be selling my beloved '88 in a couple months. It's very clean and well maintained. Not sure how quick you're looking to buy though.
              Not in a huge hurry to be honest... I want to get the right one.

Comment

Originally posted by sklbase View Post
                I was driving up to Canada this past weekend and saw a white e30 ix for sale off of of an exit, I think near Bellingham. It was parked in front of a convenience store. I took these pictures, but there wasn't a phone number on the guys sign!!

wow great pictures! thats probably this car https://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/5946617423.html
                Last edited by iXguido; 01-20-2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

That's it. Looked good and straight from the street.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    Not sure about that. Mine is only 2800lbs. It's not a big difference either way.

the '88s were the heaviest - aside from options, they had a steel spare wheel and 1" of that trunk tar crap & extra sound insulation I think. I can't remember but I think my '88 also had that solid slab of ballast under the spare tire (another 50lbs or so). The later ones don't have the tar, have an alloy spare, also the aluminum bumpers are not light.
                    My 88 is 2900lbs. 3080lbs with me in it. Alloy spare and converted to plastic bumpers. All extra weights removed from the trunk. I do have the ski pass seat which weighs like 5 more pounds though. The tow hitch weighs 10lbs probably.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

Looked at this euro iX in Vancouver yesterday:

Great car, no rust, mechanically sorted, but I think the price is a bit steep for a rebuilt (especially coming from Canada). Needs new wheels and a few interior bits to make it true again. It had a cheapo paint job about 3-4 years ago which was my biggest deterrent (bits were already starting to flake around the door jams, etc). Also, whoever did it sprayed right over a big "M" decal on the side. Trunk was wet (which I'm sure is typical) and the floorboards felt wet in the back which also made me a little weary. Anyway, I'm sure someone will pay up eventually. If anyone here is interested, I have the CarFax and some other information that might be helpful.

Comment

Does it actually have no rust? If it has no rust, how was the trunk wet? A shit paint job makes me leery of the rest of the repairs. If they skimp on the final touch, how good of a repair did they do on the intermediate steps?

I think any e30 with actually verified no rust is going to be $30k+ and it's probably worth that price too, if you're actually shopping for a zero rust car.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

it's in BC and they salt the shit out of their roads. I really doubt there's no rust.. not unless it was never driven in the winter. Also it's an early model and they didn't have as much rust protection either.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Most e30 325ix's have rust. They were purpose built to do well in the snow and that's where most owners drove them.
                            If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              also the aluminum bumpers are not light.
                              Uhm, no.

The alum setup is almost exactly the same, if not slightly LIGHTER than the plastic setups. Not sure who, but someone did a weight comparison of the two including brackets etc. years ago and the plastic setup was about 2-3lbs HEAVIER than the alum setup.
                              If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Working...
                              X