No announcement yet.

Let's see your scale models.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Bare Metal Foil is its brand name, most just call it BMF. It's a SUPER thin foil with an adhesive backing. They sell chrome, bright chrome, black chrome, matte aluminum, and copper. I used bright chrome on the red 300 there. It comes in a single 6"x11.75" sheet.

Make sure the area is clean of wax or oils. To use it you'll need a fresh #11 exacto blade. Cut out the desired length/shape you want, take the blade and peel a corner up to remove it from its paper backing. It's very thin and can tare easy. Lightly apply it to the trim that you want chrome. Then use a quick tip/soft cloth/ finger with light pressure to apply it to see the outline of the trim. You can use a toothpick to press the BMF down to get the outline. Then use your #11 exacto to cut the excess. Carefull cause one slip and you will slash your painted body. You got to use some pressure but not much. Then take your blade and try to get the excess of like you did to remove it from the paper. Once a little piece comes up you can usually peel it off with your fingers. Now take a soft cloth and rub the trim down. This causes the adhesive to stick and buffs out the trim to a nice shine. Sometimes it will leave a residue, I found it comes off with a little bit of car wax.

For the window trim I do it in sections, sides, top, bottom.. I also use it for side marker lights. Just use a Ultra Fine tip Sharpie for the red or orange. Some people will apply the BMF then clear coat the body. Makes sense since it would seal it as one. I have yet to try that method, I always do mine after the clear or final coat. It maybe frustrating to use at first, some people give up on it and stick with painting trim. But each model you'll see your progress with it.

The BMF site, http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html
    There are tutorials on YouTube on how to use the stuff. Probably better then how I explained it lol. Although YouTube wasn't around when I first started to use it! :eeek:
    Last edited by JasonC; 01-03-2017, 01:46 PM.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Neat, but that's gotta be a huge pain to install!

Comment

For me it's kind of relaxing in an odd way. I'm just focused on the cutting so I don't slip and fuck up the model lol.

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

ah yeah I can completely understand that. Turned out really well so it was well worth the effort

Comment

Got these 3 today. Good thing cause we are supposed to be getting a big ice storm this weekends. Thanks QUKBMER for the Alfa and the Renault!

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Nice choices!

Comment

Got the Honda built and Renault built. I was stuck inside all weekend due to weather so I got bored.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Your welcome and they look bitchin !
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

That Alpine model is neat!!!!

Ive been busy,

built this 26 Delivery

This Mercedes with 4x4 ride height! The hood and truck lids are very ill fitting even after trimming down to get them to fit.

And working on this 72 Chevy hauler

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Nice work Jason !!!!!:D:D:D
                      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Amazing detail on the merc! I like the 72 hauler what brand is that?

My Rothmans decals came in.

Much better...

Need to stop at hobby store and get some of the clear coat/glue they make for the decals since these need cut and folded in a few spots.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm working on something to put in the trunk of the Benz lol

That Porsche looks totally awesome!

The hauler is both made buy AMT

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                            Got the Honda built and Renault built. I was stuck inside all weekend due to weather so I got bored.

Nice work man, but be honest with us, did you, or did you not watch Roasanne from 8pm-930pm?

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Wow!! This last few pages are filled with awesomeness. You guys got talent.

Great Job!
                              1990 325i
                              2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                              sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys! No i did not watch Roseanne but i did watch a bunch that's 70's show

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Working...
                                X