Painting My Valve Cover..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting My Valve Cover..

Well first i wanna start off by sayin I'm a new member. Ive been on M3forums for years now. Use to have a alpine e36 M. now i have a alpine 325is. Hello!

anyways..ok so i have an extra valve cover that i would like to paint. I'm just curious to see what brands of paint you guys would use for the best look. I have never painted a valve cover before so im just curious. and yes i know you want the high temp stuff...thanks!

paint gun or spray can? i did mine wit a duplicoor high heat spray can came out pretty good but not perfect.
    sigpic
    86 325e now 327iturbo hx35 ms2
    DRIFT CAR
    warped my mamifold sell me your RSI MANIFOLD

Comment

yah i just wanna rattle can it. i dont have a spray gun. so duplicolor seems to work well?

Comment

any engine enamel will work well, someting that can withstnd heat

make sure the cover is clen and free of grease before painting
        88 325ic ~~~> Rusty and ugly
        85 E ~~~> RIP

Comment

One of the last valve covers i had on my car i painted with Rustoleum and Krylon. It held up just fine to the heat. But not to the gas that i splilled on it when i changed the gas line on my cold start injector.

And here's a valve cover picture thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ht=valve+cover

Last edited by JasonC; 05-25-2009, 08:37 PM. Reason: add link

1992 BMW 325iC
          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

i already gave it a solvent bath. i work at an acura dealer so i have access to stuff like that. its clean but the cover is not new so im gunna sand it down a lil bit paint it black and the bmw letters uhhhh yah lol cough*pink*cough. it will match my gf's valve cover......haha

Comment

Valve covers really don't get THAT hot, so you don't need to use like, header paint or anything. I just did mine with VHT wrinkle red, and cured it with a heat gun once I had finished painting it. If you can, get it sandblasted first, it will give you a much better surface for the paint to adhere to.

Comment

powder coat it!
                90 E30 325i

Comment

i just want the best look for it. like kinda a bumpy black for the majority and for the pink part i want it to be smooth...what you guys think?

Comment

That's a sick looking valve cover, Janderson. Did you just tape off the "BMW" and ribs on it?

Comment

I tried using the engine enamel rattle can stuff on my M50 VC but it just didn't come out right, and eventually chipped pretty easily. I called a local powdercoating place and they are only charging me $40 to do it. And it'll supposedly hold up better and last longer.

I will post up pictures when I get it back!

Comment

I have my valve cover and intake powder coated with wrinkle black
                        Cam .W '91 325is

Spaz's 1991 Alpine White???? S52 Build Thread...

Comment

Originally posted by surfgoheels13 View Post
                          That's a sick looking valve cover, Janderson. Did you just tape off the "BMW" and ribs on it?
                          people generally sand the raised parts off to get that result

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                            Valve covers really don't get THAT hot, so you don't need to use like, header paint or anything. I just did mine with VHT wrinkle red, and cured it with a heat gun once I had finished painting it. If you can, get it sandblasted first, it will give you a much better surface for the paint to adhere to.

That red texture paint looks good on your cover. I went back and forth trying to decide between black and red since my car is Zinno, but went with black Harley texture since it supposedly holds up well and looks more "modified stock". Maybe I should just get another cover and do it in red and switch every so often!

Anyway, nice job.

Comment

why not polish it smooth and to a mirror finish...it will be easier to clean and maintain...but thats really just me being me...

the red i have on my v.c. is just plain ole spray can red....like 1.99 a can, i did 2 thin coats, and it held up for 2 years now.
                              3 pedal club
                              200,k+ club
                              cabrio club
                              port-matched- polished- purring www.BMWpark.org

</div>

linux since 1999

Comment

Working...
                              X